It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are YOU Real?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

If what your saying is never give up, as in don't forget what your aiming to achieve. Then i'm in complete agreement.

Peace.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Hmmm....I guess I don't know what real is so I can't answer you. I have asked myself the same thing before. But I do feel that whether we are "real" or not, we are in it together. I do feel that we are all bits of the same that was once whole, and are all entangled. I think the separation we experience is exhilarating because it allows us to experience different facets of ourselves (ourself). But it is painful, too, because we are separated from eachother and long to feel whole again. For me, this pain leads to all the big questions-I guess one of them being "Are we real?", because the reality we knew before was one of wholeness and what we have here in our world is an enormous splintering of that wholeness.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
well, i have decided 2 things.

1,im treating THIS world and THIS me, as real enough. so i MUST be good to myself and others [the ladies etc].

2,in 2011, i shall try a more proactive approach to finding answers to many of the things i question on here,for example. perhaps i may even try someplace like the Monroe Centre..

thank you so much for YOUR THOUGHTS...on this question.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   
You ask "Am I REAL?, are you REAL", etc. Now I ask you what is "REAL"?

You ask these questions as if they could be answered(they can't), which could only be possible if you define the term "REAL".

IMO real/reality is an illusion. Knowing that I am REAL is of no consolation.

"Are you a figment of my imagination, or am I a part of your imagination?" or maybe you, I, him, she, we, us, are all part of somebody/thing, some sort of imagination/illusion.

Either way, we are here and now, we have to deal with whatever reality is presented to us. You can think all you want about weither that the nature of the reatlity presented to you, but in the end you gotta live with reality. If you must, you should live with reality(reality has a huge pad, a mansion really, some may go so far as to say it's a castle, for me it's just a nice place to visit), or else reality will come and live with you(you, who lives in a one room shack that barely has enough room in it for you, you will have to make room for reality, who can be a real bitch sometimes).

Makes no sense does it?

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by ewokdisco

Part of what you're talking about in the OP is called Solipsism: the idea that only one person is actually alive, me. Everything is a figment of my imagination, but during a Philosophy class I stumped the teacher, who believed in Solipsism by the following question.

If I ask a friend to answer a question which I don't know the answer to. Say, the population of India. The friend doesn't know the answer either. I just hang out in my room. Later my friend returns to me with the answer, after finding out from someone I didn't know.

The fact that I now have new, previously unknown information, without making any effort to learn or know it, means other people DO exist and take action outside of my sphere of life.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Thermo Klein

Or perhaps your subconscious took some time and made up an answer for you at a later date. I'm not speaking in favor of solipsism. Merely saying. In my opinion solipsism is just as foolish as any other extreme. We never truly know and most likely can never truly know.
edit on 9-11-2010 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows because: Siht t'nsi em. M'i ton lacinahcem.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 06:38 AM
link   
The only real thing for sure is that i am having an experience. Everything else is questionable. So anything i am uncertain of (which is everything i am not) can be put to one side.
Am i real?
Experience is apparent, experience, sensation is felt.
Does sensation need a receiver, experiencer, a feeler?
Or is sense, just sense.
Pure knowing. No knower needed, nothing to be known.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Sorry, didn't read the whole thread, just the OP and a couple after, but, wanted to chime in to say that sometimes i'm quite sure none of this is real, like, dead sure, and i can hear the voices, calling me to the other side, beckoning, ever so sweetly in my ears to come there and all will be right, then I realize, at some point in 'my' life i've to go there anyways, so why not just stick it out, and observe this rea/false-ality for as long as possible, until, when the time comes, i'm pulled inside out by my innerds and dragged across the border unwillingly, then, and only then, will we truly 'know'. live, love, be. keep it real.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by vivalarevolution

The voices that tell you about over there are not you, they tempt you away from the only reality, this ever present eternal now. Stay with the only thing that is real, the 'i am' sense, everything else is moving around, that's why we get so dizzy, we are looking at the things that are moving. Stay with the only constant, stay with the thought 'i am'. Don't worry it will seem impossible at first but each time you notice that you have wandered from the i am this will be the remembering, the noticing is grace.
edit on 19-3-2011 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 07:05 AM
link   

And..... Did the universe exist before you were born?.. Does it die when you die???..

According to quantum mechanics, the universe only exists by observation, which includes all senses and not just sight. The very act of observing alters the universe, and only exist in observation..

Hence my above questions....

Also we have no location... The quanta making us up touches every part of the universe at the same time thus we are everywhere and nowhere...

Just something else to add to the mix..

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Yissachar1

I know, it's mind blowing stuff isn't it. All of this is you.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by ewokdisco
Are you real? or are you a figment of MY imagination that helps me to make up MY reality? if YOU say 'yes,ewokdisco,you handsome man,i AM real' how do we know for certain it is true? then i ask, am i real or am i only here to make up YOUR reality? and why all this effort [a universe etc] for me and you [maybe] ?

i suspect, at some sub atomic level, [smaller than we yet know] reality won't be as we think it is;something more individual. must also ask,if WE make up our own reality, like a hologram, then why dont we have much more control over it? why isn't our reality nicer and easier to make good?

so, are YOU real?
So let me guess you watched What the Bleep Do We Know?

So none of us exist until you look at us. And you don't exist until I look at you. YOu didn't exist until I saw this thread. Something like that. The mistake of that movie was to erroneously associate what happens at the quantum level to what happens at our level. It was purely a marketing ploy to cash in on the new age cult. There's some truth to it though, but like I say here, it's quantum. Whether or not it affects things at this scale is not yet known. It could be. I think one clue is the presence of patterns in nature. One might ask where these similar patterns come from. Of course I don't know nearly enough about quantum things to say speculate, but if this universe is made for life then maybe quantum things explain that too.
edit on 19-3-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

True, in a discordian-esque type of way, but what i see, and feel, are things that aren't supposed to be real, 'real', that is.. words are so clumsy like, to me anyways. You may feel me, but it's like a world within a world and so on infinitely.. that i'm not even going to attempt to explain any further because of this darn english language lol.. but yes, i feel your sentiment, understanding. crazy world, we appear to be in, but as always, that which appears to be, isn't always (usually, for that matter) as it appears to be, multifold? There are so many ways to see everything I don't see how most people, stuck in the "socially engineered real world" don't see it, it's quite the wonder.. saved my life a couple of times, the craziness of it all... : )

Edit for this: I find this chart kinda sums up eastern philosophy (in a nut shell, mind you, lol) for me, a couple colors and lines can say so much more than even a book full of meaningless nonsensical letters..
kmbkteam.files.wordpress.com...
edit on 19-3-2011 by vivalarevolution because: hobblety gobblety

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by jonnywhite

Nothing exists until a conscious observer looks at it.
The conscious observer must therefore exist prior to things.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Yissachar1

And..... Did the universe exist before you were born?.. Does it die when you die???..

According to quantum mechanics, the universe only exists by observation, which includes all senses and not just sight. The very act of observing alters the universe, and only exist in observation..

Hence my above questions....

Also we have no location... The quanta making us up touches every part of the universe at the same time thus we are everywhere and nowhere...

Just something else to add to the mix..
Just because quantum entanglement exists doesn't mean it's relaying important information. It would be like having a satellite that only relays garbled BS to another one. We just don't really know how much quantum things affect the universe on a macro scale, yet.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Watcher-In-The-Shadows
reply to post by Thermo Klein

Or perhaps your subconscious took some time and made up an answer for you at a later date. I'm not speaking in favor of solipsism. Merely saying. In my opinion solipsism is just as foolish as any other extreme. We never truly know and most likely can never truly know.
edit on 9-11-2010 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows because: Siht t'nsi em. M'i ton lacinahcem.
We can never truly know that god exists either. About 6% of americans are atheists. 80% about are some kind of christian. So that's a lot of people that believe in something extreme.

This link says 3% are atheist so I said 6%:
www1.umn.edu ...

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Things are not real, things are the label that our mind puts on appearances, just so our minds can understand them. But really there is nothing to understand. The mind thinks it has to know, but it can only know in words, like you said this english language, or any language is the stumbling block. The mind works on symbols, like computers, but knows nothing of meaning.
What you essentially are, prior to wanting to understand, is pure knowing.
So remove all labels and all there is is 'this'.
This is all there is, all there ever was and all there will ever be.
The mind can not compute this, because it is truth.
The mind only knows of untruths, ideas and misconceptions. The mind secretly knows this, this is why it is always so busy looking for the truth. Now you know this, and now you see that the mind can not be the real true you, the mind will sit at your feet. You can now that the throne that you had mistakenly allowed the mind to sit in.

edit on 19-3-2011 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain

Things are not real, things are the label that our mind puts on appearances, just so our minds can understand them. But really there is nothing to understand. The mind thinks it has to know, but it can only know in words, like you said this english language, or any language is the stumbling block. The mind works on symbols, like computers, but knows nothing of meaning.
What you essentially are, prior to wanting to understand, is pure knowing
Without symbols it's gibberish. So pure knowing is gobbledegook.

We're limited by our senses before we even attach symbols to things.

So our senses are our reality; disregarding where that reality is coming from.

I don't know whether other things aside from me exist, to be honest. It's silly to admit.

For the sake of my sanity I have to assume that reality is coming from something externally, though. So I guess in a manner I am living a lie. But the lie is so well built up and believed.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

something to think about huh? imagine if you knew every 'language' in the world, and the connections amongst these seemingly non-connected "things/ideas/concepts" for lack of a better vocabulary, were like a language in and amongst themselves, like pulling an order that isn't there / at least supposed to be there, out from the depths of the total of chaos that is everything, otherworldy seeming huh? almost impossible, like some sort of unifying field theory like, underlying social programming. makes you wonder exactly what's real/true and what isn't. because if you think, most people, generally, excel in one area of study, for their entire lives, but imagine a 'jack of all trades' like super person, who could connect dots that at first glance didn't seem to be there, or at least aren't supposed to be according to what they want you to believe/think about the nature of the universe, sorry for the scatterbrained mess of letters lol. dunno if it's coming across as it seems in my head..

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by jonnywhite

I agree that without the symbols it is gobaldegook, isn't that great!! It's totally immaterial, it's the good news.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join