It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harbor there Harbor gone (new sinkhole video)

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by pearcester

Soon, everywhere - it's going to look like the scene from 2012 in LA where everything just starts collapsing. We have been seeing this more and more all around the world. Massive sinkholes just coming out of no where, volcano's going off all over the place. The increase of larger scale quakes. Increasing political tensions around the world and the fear of near total world economic collapse. I am just saying, everything is falling in line with every prophecy for this time. It looks like it is all going to go down.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
My quick, rough translation in bullet points (quotes are more like paraphrasing what the person said)

-Incident happened 17th of October
-Manaus (Amazon), Brazil
-Officials said they are not sure how the CCTV vid made it to the news
-30million reais in damages = apx US$18mil
-According to Col. Dias "Lack of witnesses make it difficult to know where to excavate"
-According to Civil Defense Head Ari Renato, "We're taking away the trailers that are still standing to avoid further slides"
-Looking for bodies as they continue removing debris from the water
-Loading and Unloading activities have been halted for an indeterminate time. Not sure whether they're going to continue the 'embargo' in the port because if it continues it will directly affect the supplying of Manaus's Industrial center

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Dantas

CCTV camera which was unauthorized to be released to the press.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   
The scary thing about sinkholes are that they can happen anywhere. Its just time that tells. Flagged

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   
That looked more like a landslide then a sinkhole which tend to occur pretty often near water from undermining due to capillary action of the water. Where was this at? Usually these things are easy to detect from just general observation, like walking around the site.

Edit: Brazil that explains it! I guess safety site inspectors are a luxury there.
edit on 11/6/2010 by AnteBellum because: Add

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by loves a conspiricy

Great video but i dont think that looks like a sink hole
As someone else stated, its next to water...lake, river, ocean etc. It looks like erosion.
We get a lot of this over here in the uk....theres been many villages that have fallen off the sides of cliffs due to erosion.
Its amazing how fast it seems to happen....im unsure if the first part of the video is sped up, but the bird seems to be going at a normal pace.??

It looks like its built on bad land, it built next to water, i kinda think this is inevitable given these circumstances.

There have been a lot of sink holes reported lately but i do not feel there is any evidence to point to anything sinister.
A lot of these sink holes appear over sewers and underground infrastructure....bad building techniques along with bad terrain is obviously going to end in disaster....when.....no one knows.

Why don't you watch the first part of the video again!!!! IT IS A SINKHOLE!! the sea itself falls into it at first and THEN the hillside and then the rest. Man, do people really not pay attention to anything anymore??????!!!!!!!

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by rockn82
I would be curious to know how many cubic meters of material moved. If it was indeed just a landslide then, to me that would equate a tsunami as an after effect of said material. If there was no tsunami, then I would be led to believe that the material and water was kept at the events epicenter or there was not enough material in motion to generate a tsunami.

Either way, I feel for the loss of life, if there is shown to be casualties.
edit on 5-11-2010 by rockn82 because: (no reason given)

Exactly, it all went INTO the sinkhole, again if you watch the very first part of the vid, you can see the sea looks like a waterfall going into the hole. The debris WOULD have caused a wave to go away from the shore, just like when an iceberg breaks a chunk off. Man, I can not believe how people can not use their brain or have no common sense.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by daddio

I'm sorry if you want to call it a sinkhole be my guest, I don't care! I think toilets should be called sinkholes also. And that thing that happens in water, oh yeah a maelstrom, that too can be called a sinkhole.

But land erosion that happens near an embankment I will call a LANDSLIDE, but I'm a rebel.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Google comes to the rescue!

Sea Port in Brazil falls into the sea

José Ferreira de Oliveira, owner of the port, told local journalists that maintenance work was being carried out to create an embankment when the landslide occurred. It is understood that the work was intended to facilitate access to a floating pontoon, that served as a berth at the facility, after river levels dropped.

Looks manmade to me, and not a sinkhole but a landslide.

Deny ignorance.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
WOW, a big sinkhole and not many people interseted in the thread? (mostly alien junkies wishing to only listen to made up stories)

I am inclind to believe this, because sinkholes are a big big scary possible fact, as more and more earthquakes happen, (volcanos too) you will see more sinkholes on the news, personally i would have # my pants, if i saw that. From what i understood of the reporter, there are wounded and there are people missing. Not many, but still. lots of damage (well duh)

reminds me of gears of war, how sinkholes could level entire cities (also a scary possiblity) incase of sinkhole.....find a boat and some water (hopfully you dont go down either way)

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Ferris.Bueller.II

You the man Ferris!

Good work, no sense making a sinkhole out of a landslide!

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by daddio

I can see what you are focused on. It looks like everything is flowing into, and filling up a cavity in the earth.

Later it looks like a domino effect, like the roof of said cavity is caving in along its length.
(I wonder how big it was?)

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
i am thinking that it was a chinese lantern or photo shopped

had to kick that in as most articles someone has to throw that into the pot, as i had not seen it i figured i would. anyway, crazy times we live in, pure crazy

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by zaper
I Understand Portuguese.
In the first video (Op) these are some of the facts.

- they refer to the port of Chibatão (it WAS not manaus)

nice video SF

Hey Zaper....I think you were right in almost all of those except for the fact that the Chibatao in question is in the city of Manaus, capital of the state of Amazonas. And I believe its the only chibatao in Brazil if I'm not mistaken. Maybe you're mistaking it for Cubatao, in Sao Paulo???
Heres a link for the Chibatao Port, for ya:

www.portochibatao.com.br...

Regards,

ringht_n_wrong

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Originally posted by Ferris.Bueller.II

Looks manmade to me, and not a sinkhole but
a landslide.

Deny ignorance.

Agree with ya buddy....heres a translated news article on it saying that this landslide is the second in 10 years:

Landslide in Chibatão is the second recorded on the port of Manaus

By:
October 18, 2010
Florencio Mosque and Lohaynne Gregory - [email protected]

Manaus - The landslide in Puerto Chibatão in the neighborhood Antonio Oliveira Machado, South, held on Sunday (17) leaving two people missing, is the second recorded in ten years in private ports of Manaus. According to the Fire Department, similar accident occurred at the Port of Pedrão near the Panair, in the Central area of Manaus.

According to the commander of the Fire Brigade, Colonel Antonio Dias, damage to the port Pedrão were also great and the accident left the victims. He remembers that time working in the area was long on account of the barriers of earth, stone and buried equipment.

Chibatão

Men of the Fire Department are in Port Chibatão since Sunday to rescue Silvio Barbosa, 63, and Peter Paul, 31. The work was cut during the night because of the visibility and reproduced in full in the morning of Monday (18). Dozens of trucks and containers buried by mud or submerged in the Rio Negro hinder the search.

According to Antonio Dias, 110 men of the Fire Department conduct the excavation and dive in search of the missing. They encounter difficulties because, according to the colonel, there are no indicators of the exact place where the workers were at the time of collapse. "The area is very extensive and lack information to restrict the local search," he explained.

The crash site still runs the risk of new landslides. Antonio Dias reported that technicians and engineers are still assessing the Port. "We ask eight engineers from various sectors to analyze the site. After evaluation, they will know which sites are still at risk, "he said.

The tracing team awaits the arrival of a trained dog's National Security Force to help locate the two workers. According to Colonel Day, the dog was in operation in Tabatinga (the 1,105 km from Manaus) and should reach the capital at about 17.30.

Work under suspicion

Technical Institute of the State Environmental Protection (Ipaam) investigate whether the Port Chibatão had permission to build the ramp where the workers are gone. Silvio and Peter did the excavation of the ramp when a backhoe that had been buried by mud.

The Ipaam must confirm by the end of the day if the work had permission or not. The Technical Secretariat of Environment and Sustainability (Semmes) and IBAMA remain in place to make a survey of environmental damage. The survey is conducted by a forester and two biologists.

The ground conditions for the Fire Department will continue at the site is evaluated by geologists from the State Department of State Infrastructure (Seinf). According to the Fire Department, there are several cracks that signal risk of landslides.

In three days the Geological Survey of Brazil (CPRM) shall disclose a report about the possible causes of the landslide.

Surveillance

In a statement, the Municipality of Manaus said tax Chibatão returned to port early on Monday to monitor the environmental damage caused by the accident. Those responsible for Porto were reported and shall submit within 24 hours of the environmental licensing and the relationship of the containers that were in place.

According to Director of Quality and Environmental Control of Semmes, Norberto Magno, officials reported that there is no container with chemicals because the deposits contain only material and not just raw materials. Among storage items are packages of disposable plastic products and food products.

Original source:
portalamazonia.globo.com...

regards,

ringht_n_wrong

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by MrOrange82

Lose for words

You get my S&F friend this is amazing.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I see no evidence of a sinkhole, only erosion leading to a catastrophic failure. It's most likely the construction methods were cheap and faulty, and so the water/coastal erosion caused the clearly soft ground to give.

Was going to happen eventually.

We see this in the UK quite often on the coast as chunks of it are taken back by the sea. It's not unusual.
The only thing that makes this different is the scale of it. And it probably wouldn't have happened if they had used deep concrete pilings or a concrete bank, and I see absolutely no evidence of either in this video.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join