It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why doesn't US hiker go back to Iran to face charges?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 12:29 AM
link   
If she had nothing to hide, why doesn't she go back?

Where is the solidarity between her and her co-conspirators?

Half a million was given for her bond, people in ATS even claimed the bail bond was a bribe lol.. Yet Iran is asking her to come back and face the charges:

IRAN-US HIKERS — Iran says it will seize bail of American woman if she does not return for start of trial.

www.gosanangelo.com...

If she is truly innocent, she wouldn't waste half a million. I mean who hikes in Iraq

Now :

OAKLAND, Calif., Nov. 4 (UPI) -- Freed U.S. hiker Sarah Shourd says she doesn't know if she'll return to Iran to face espionage charges with her two companions still held in prison there.

She's thought "long and hard" about returning for her trial, but was "not in a position to make that decision" because her mother just had gallbladder surgery, she told supporters in Oakland, Calif.

media.www.thecandor.com...

Sad

Talk about solidarity.

Thoughts.

oz

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

Would you go back?

I sure wouldn't. To face trial on trumped up charges and potentially face death, no thanks.
Now, if they are spies, the US government would have a vested interest in keeping them
out of Iranian courts.

I don't believe these people were spies. I believe they are dumb, ignorant kids in the wrong place at the wrong time.
edit on 5-11-2010 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Because in Iran, women are treated very poorly and their justice system is far from being just. If found guilty, she will surely be put to death in some inhumane manner. Returning to Iran would almost certainly be suicide for her.

I agree, this is a case of three people making a very terrible decision.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
It seems that these hikers were very fortuante that people like to give them money. They got money for hiking, money for escaping, and money for not facing trial. It looks like they got taxpayer money. I need some money so i think I will call the CIA and ask them if they need any "hikers".
Poverty is one thing spys can never fake.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I think it could get interesting if Iran said there are 2 options:

1. come back and stand trial. If found guilty, then the sentence will be "time already served" and they will be immediately deported. If found innocent (yeah right) then they get deported.
2. If she does not come back, then they will be seeking the death penalty for the remaining hikers.

Otherwise, she isn't going back. I wouldn't voluntarily. I wouldn't anyway. I would make my government extradite me there.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by earthdude

So because they had a little money and aren't living in poverty they're spies?

I'm sorry i'm not seeing the logic here.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

Yup, if I'm free I would go back and face trial with my fiancée, if I'm not, I'm a scum bag in the first place, I'll not go back making me double the cum bag. I suspect they are spies.

Spies are scum bags, low life morons, they deserve the death penalty, if these three are convicted of spying they should be hanged.

edit on 5-11-2010 by oozyism because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
We have no extradition to Iran, so there's no way the US government will compel her to do that. And being subject to foreign law, a legal system you probably don't understand, where punishments can be exceedingly strict and where there could well be a political component involved in whether or not you are found guilty or innocent...no, it's a bad, BAD idea to go back.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

If you held a gun to my head I wouldn't go back. Nothing in this world would make me go back to Iran where I would get a BS fair trial. They hate the US what a better way to bash on one of us by locking her up and forgetting about her claiming the trail was/would be just! Pfft haha! no thank you!!
edit on 5-11-2010 by dthwraith because: spelling edit.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
reply to post by oozyism

Would you go back?

I sure wouldn't. To face trial on trumped up charges and potentially face death, no thanks.
Now, if they are spies, the US government would have a vested interest in keeping them
out of Iranian courts.

I don't believe these people were spies. I believe they are dumb, ignorant kids in the wrong place at the wrong time.
edit on 5-11-2010 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

To echo the sentiments of the OP... Who the hell is hiking in Iraq?

That story couldn't be any more fishy if it was dipped in tartar sauce.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by dthwraith
reply to post by oozyism

If you held a gun to my head I wouldn't go back. Nothing in this world would make me go back to Iran where I would get a BS fair trial. They hate the US what a better way to bash on one of then by locking her up and forgetting about her claiming the trail was/would be just! Pfft haha! no thank you!!

Fair trial? Have you been tried in Iran before to make such a judgement before hand, or have you been watching FOX news, and the stoning case propaganda?

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

Why doesn't Osama Bin Laden show up in a US court to declare his innocence and prove that he wasn't involved?

Probably the same answer...because they don't have to.

~Heff

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide
reply to post by oozyism

Why doesn't Osama Bin Laden show up in a US court to declare his innocence and prove that he wasn't involved?

~Heff

Not really, because no one paid for his bail bond.

I suspect Osama is hundred times more honest than this lady, I'm sure if someone paid for his bail bond he would go back to face trial.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

Do you not suppose that the bail that was posted was considered lost before the funds ever changed hands? Did you stop to think that there was NEVER a condition to which this woman was held compelling her to return to Iran?

Her freedom was bought, not securitized.
edit on 6-11-2010 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   
OK, here is a philosophical question:

If the Freed hiker was told to come back to stand trial (with an absolute guarantee of the best/worst possible punishment laid out in advance); what (in your mind) would be the "best" that Iran could offer to entice you back? How about the worst (not so important)?

Would YOU serve time? (5...10...15yrs...etc...) to save your friends lives, at the expense of your own time?

Or would you decline the request....embrace your freedom...and let your friends cards fall where they may?

Personally, to be truthful (take this as you will) my "friends" would be up S!*t creek....there is no way in hell I would go back.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by oozyism

reply to post by oozyism

~Heff

I suspect Osama is hundred times more honest than this lady, I'm sure if someone paid for his bail bond he would go back to face trial.

Osama would go to trial.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by oozyism

reply to post by oozyism

~Heff

You still, I believe, have the option of going back and editing/delting this little gem of a response. In the reason for edit area...you could just say something like, "too much coffee this morning".

Osama could raise his own bail, or course...so this proclamation is moot. Also, if he is ever captured, there is no way he would ever be offered bail...so for this reason, also a lame "ra ra" assertion on your part.

Osama, would never ever turn himself in to face trial in the U.S. Never, under any circumstances. Period. So, you are really just babbling here...hero worship is getting in the way of your making a logical argument.

On a more person note...not bashing, just asking...are you always angry and spouting all the time? Or do you just turn on the charm every time you log in to ATS? You seem to be a very unhappy person.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

What a shock such a statement coming from you Oz.......I would have never guessed it.

Would you go back to a country who declares your homeland to be the Great Satan for a fair trial? I'm sure you would go back to such a country. Even if you are innocent, it's no protection from getting railroaded by the Theocracy in charge there.

top topics

join