It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

General English Question

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 10:13 PM
link   
I have turned to you, ATS, in my quest to assist my girlfriend with her SAT test this Saturday. I know, it's a bit short notice, however I believe it is a question that is pretty easy. My problem with answering it is that I am not 100% sure if there are any exceptions to any of these rules in the English language.

First off, when you are using "nor" and "or" in a sentence with "either" and "neither". From what I can tell, you typically (maybe always?) pair them like such:
"neither/nor" and "either/or"
So, I was just wondering if anyone had anything else to add such as exceptions to those rules.

Secondly, and this might need a bit more of an explanation, when to use words like "funnier" and "funniest". Basically just looking at "-er", "-est", "more", and "most". Concerning the usage of these words, I have come to the conclusion that you would use an "-er" adjective to compare only two things. Such as...
"Family Guy is funnier than the Simpsons."
Furthermore, when using an "-est" word, you would be comparing three or more nouns, correct? Same goes for "more" and "most".
Likewise with the question about or/nor, are there any exceptions to the "-er", "-est", "more", and "most" topic?

If any of the brilliant minds here on ATS could give me any help or even tips about these questions (or English/reading questions on the SATs), please pitch them my way! I hope you guys don't mind me posting on ATS about English...but I am at a loss for help for my girlfriend. I've looked on google and used my own knowledge figuring out a lot of help for her, but these two things have entirely eluded me.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I speak mostly Russian, my English is improving, but I am sorry for not being able to your question answer.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by philosearcher

Hey philosearcher!

English is my first language, and I also speak french fluently; living in Canada has its benefits

I'm also in university right now with English as my focus, so I'll do my best to help you...it's somewhat daunting to help people learning English as English is very complicated to learn as grammatical rules are broken almost constantly, and having spoken it since I started talking it is kind of hard to think of all the different rules and grammar I use when I speak and write.

For your first inquiry... I believe you are right in stating that either/or and neither/nor are always paired together.

When describing two different nouns or concepts, you would always use either/or for distinguishing them, and neither/nor for the negative distinguishing.

For your second point...

Most of the time, when using adjectives, you usually classify them as you stated; Funny, Funnier, Funniest as examples. There are exceptions of course, most notably "better". There is no such thing as "betterer" or "betterest"; simply "better" and "best".

You usually don't have to put "more" in a sentence with the second form of the adjective; i.e. "That person is more funnier than me"- you simply say "That person is funnier than me".

I hope I helped you somewhat... and I wish your girlfriend good luck on her exam

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by philosearcher
I have turned to you, ATS, in my quest to assist my girlfriend with her SAT test this Saturday. I know, it's a bit short notice, however I believe it is a question that is pretty easy. My problem with answering it is that I am not 100% sure if there are any exceptions to any of these rules in the English language.

First off, when you are using "nor" and "or" in a sentence with "either" and "neither". From what I can tell, you typically (maybe always?) pair them like such:
So, I was just wondering if anyone had anything else to add such as exceptions to those rules.

Secondly, and this might need a bit more of an explanation, when to use words like "funnier" and "funniest". Basically just looking at "-er", "-est", "more", and "most". Concerning the usage of these words, I have come to the conclusion that you would use an "-er" adjective to compare only two things. Such as...
"Family Guy is funnier than the Simpsons."
Furthermore, when using an "-est" word, you would be comparing three or more nouns, correct? Same goes for "more" and "most".
Likewise with the question about or/nor, are there any exceptions to the "-er", "-est", "more", and "most" topic?

If any of the brilliant minds here on ATS could give me any help or even tips about these questions (or English/reading questions on the SATs), please pitch them my way! I hope you guys don't mind me posting on ATS about English...but I am at a loss for help for my girlfriend. I've looked on google and used my own knowledge figuring out a lot of help for her, but these two things have entirely eluded me.

You're asking on a forum where it has been a long time since people spoke proper English and has been infiltrated by people who use u for You, 4 for For, and cannot get the then/than concept down?

Good luck with that

If i were u id check another forum then this one.

(that last sentence makes my eyes water)

As for your questions, while I'm certainly 99% illiterate, I think you're spot on.. I can't think of any exceptions to those, but English does have some quirks...

edit on 4/11/2010 by badw0lf because: a duck.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Monts

Grammar Nazi!!!!!11

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 11:27 PM
link   

when to use words like "funnier" and "funniest".
I have come to the conclusion that you would use an "-er" adjective to compare only two things.

It's not number of items being compared, it's the meaning you intend to convey. "Funnier" means "is more funny than." "Funniest" means "is more funny than any other." Number of items is irrelevant. For example, it would be proper to say of A, B and C...C is funnier than A. It would be proper to say that A is funnier than B or C. It would also be proper to say that of A, B, C and D...A and B are funnier than either C or D. It would be proper to say that of A, B, C and D, B is funniest. But one would not say that of A, B, C and D, D is funniest, and C is funnier than D. Not because it would be technically incorrect, but rather because the statement is contradicting itself. It doesn't make sense.

Understand meaning. Don't memorize cases.

First off, when you are using "nor" and "or" in a sentence with "either"
and "neither". From what I can tell, you typically (maybe always?) pair them like such:

Grammatical conjunctions

If you're referring to this sort of sentence structure:

"Neither A nor B will be sufficient."
"Either A or B will be sufficient."

Then in practice, that pairing will often be correct, but the usage is not an arbitrary pairing. These words have independant meaning. For example, it would be completely proper to say "My name is not Tom, nor is it Frank." "Neither" was not used. Nor is appropriate in any instance of negation that is being paired with a negation that has already occured.

However, it would also be proper to say "I didn't visit Kauaʻi, O'ahu or Maui." Yes, there is a negation (did not visit) but "or" is appropriate because Maui is the final item on a list. You would not say "I didn't visit Kauaʻi, O'ahu nor Maui." That would be a double negative.

"Nor" is appropriate only for negation when a previous negation has already occured. "Neither" is appropriate only when only two items are being negated. "Or" is appropiate for listing alternates, as well as the final item on a list, whether or not any are being negated.

Likewise with the question about or/nor, are there any exceptions
to the "-er", "-est", "more", and "most" topic?

Pairings are not arbitrary. Memorizing word combinations is likely to get you into trouble. Understand what words mean and use them appropriately.

edit on 4-11-2010 by LordBucket because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Thanks Monts! I appreciate the wish of luck
More importantly, I appreciate the explanation. As to you, LordBucket! Great explanations...Thank you.

Also, thank you for the thought Authenticity, it's the thought that counts

Also x2, I thought there is supposed to be some sort of rule for "txt" posting? Once or twice I accidentally posted an "lol" but have taken note on the "no, no" for "txt" posting and have not recently...That, thought, never even run through my mind though before I posted this
Luckily for me I still posted the thread.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Thank you

Happy to help.

I thought there is supposed to be some sort of rule for "txt" posting?

What's a "txt" posting?

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by LordBucket
What's a "txt" posting?

When posters use texting or internet shorthand like LOL, WTF, or OMG...I probably should have stated that better. I labeled it like a drive-by. Generally, you only see a few words like that when people do use texting acronyms. For some odd reason, I don't mind so much when you see IMO or IMHO, which is odd because it's the exact same thing.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 02:56 AM
link   

When posters use texting or internet shorthand like LOL, WTF, or OMG

i d0n+ +41nk y00l b b& 4 it lol.

...but it's generally frowned upon. Warnings for "lol" posts are usually for not contributing anything to a discussion. Sometimes misunderstood as "no one-liners." One-line posts are actually perfectly fine...provided they contribute to the discussion. For instance, I've never seen a post deleted for succinctly answering a question, or posting nothing but a single word link relevant to the discussion. Though you'll occassionally see people who don't understand this try to circumvent the rule they apparently think exists by posting a brief but relevant reply, and then adding "second line" to it as if that would somehow make it ok.

you see IMO or IMHO, which is odd because it's the exact same thing.

Again, it's not just the fact of abbreviation, it's adding posts that don't contribute to a discussion. An abbrevation for "In my opinion" will generally be followed by an opinion. Whereas "OMG" is sometims posted by itself and with nothing else in the post. Or occassionally you'll see people quote an entire screen and repond with something like "right on, dude." There's no abbreviation, but posts like that will be often be deleted if a mod notices them. Similarly, you if reply with just "lol" or "pwnt" and nothing else...yes it's likely to be deleted.

edit on 5-11-2010 by LordBucket because: (no reason given)

top topics

join