It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USAF Aircraft at Basecamp

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by JoJo69
Hello, that would appear to be and Ac130 gunship. They are used for Air-to-Ground missions for close support. As to where its from, its possibly from Nellis AFB or Ewards AFB. It is also very possible that it just came from a mission in Afghanistan or some other operating location.

And just what makes you think it's a gunship? Mainly, since the guns are on the left hand side of the aircraft and wouldn't be seen in this picture?

And the color is wrong; gunships are grey, but not that shade.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by FosterVS
Found more info at herkybirds.com:

382 162-1857 C130E Flying 16SOW was EC130E

So it was a EC130E (modified C-130 Hercules used to conduct psychological operations (PSYOP) and civil affairs broadcast missions in the standard AM, FM, HF, TV and military communications bands) and was converted to a C130E.

Nope. It wasn't a Commando Solo aircraft. They (E models) were all sent to the boneyard, except for one that's on display (7773) at Fort Indiantown Gap. And I'm pretty certain that Solo didn't have a 1857.

Originally posted by FosterVS
FURTHERMORE - the guys on this forum:
www.abtriplec.com...
state that this Herc was one of 4 involved in the failed Iran hostage rescue mission, Operation Eagle Claw:
en.wikipedia.org...

The EC-130s that were used for Eagle Claw were ABCCC aircraft. They just had a "capsule" that was removable. They pulled it out for that mission and put in fuel bladders.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by signal2noise
Nope. It wasn't a Commando Solo aircraft. They (E models) were all sent to the boneyard, except for one that's on display (7773) at Fort Indiantown Gap. And I'm pretty certain that Solo didn't have a 1857.
The EC-130s that were used for Eagle Claw were ABCCC aircraft. They just had a "capsule" that was removable. They pulled it out for that mission and put in fuel bladders.

From www.fas.org:
The EC-130E is a modified C-130 "Hercules"; aircraft designed to carry the USC-48 Airborne Battlefield Command and Control Center Capsules (ABCCC III). The ABCCC has distinctive air conditioner intakes fore of the engines ("Mickey Mouse ears"), and two HF radio probes-towards the tips of both wings, and three mushroom-shaped antennas on the top of the aircraft
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/141a5f07f132.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fca4864429b7.jpg[/atsimg]
edit on 7-11-2010 by FosterVS because: Fixed picture

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by FosterVS

The AC units on your pic look to be smaller than the original pic.

ABCCC isn't in use by the USAF anymore. JSTARS sort of took over that mission.

And you originally said it was Commando Solo (the PSYOP aircraft), and it's not.

edit on 7-11-2010 by signal2noise because: Added info

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by JoJo69
Hello, that would appear to be and Ac130 gunship. They are used for Air-to-Ground missions for close support. As to where its from, its possibly from Nellis AFB or Ewards AFB. It is also very possible that it just came from a mission in Afghanistan or some other operating location.

JoJo,

Have you taken the time to read through the replies on the thread? The C-130E has already been identified by serial. No AC-130 carries that serial. Have a look at what an AC-130 in current service looks like.

www.airliners.net...(L-382)&distinct_entry=true

Check out the serial of 62-1857

www.joebaugher.com...

The aircraft pictured is now a C-130E.

TJ

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 12:56 AM
link   

2013 Update. I just found this don't know how many people still on the site. Aircraft 62 1857 was a ABCCC aircraft with the 7th ACCS. Keesler AFB MS. During the Iran Hostage situation attempt to rescue the hostages 1857 had in flight refueling capabilities. One of about three in the air force. The aircraft was transfers to a special ops unit in Florida repainted etc to get ready for the Iran Hostage Rescue mission. Course all this was top secret at the time. It did go on the mission during the Mission 62 1809 also transfers to special ops in Florida was destroyed during that mission. After the Iran Hostage Mission was complete 62 1857 was repainted and sent back to the 7th ACCS at Keesler. I was stationed at Keesler and worked on this aircraft when it was ABCCC. There was 9. A capsule was installed in each aircraft with communication equipment. 62 1857 is at Carolinas Aviation Museum Acquires a Major New Exhibit!
Two aircraft was destroyed and the other 7 have been recycled to other stuff. 62 1857 is the only one left. Due to its history in now on display. 38,000 hours. You can google and read a ton more.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 01:09 AM
link   

The antennas you see on top and on the wings was all for radios that was in the capsule in the back. The side ducts was for the capsule a/c . Antenna out on the wing tip is HF antennas. The three you see down the center of the fuselage is escape hatches. A modification made to the aircraft you would take out the escape hatches and install these antennas for certain missions. These antennas could be a pain to install at times and made pressurizing leaks at times. During the IRAN hostage aircraft transferred to Florida Special OPS. The aircraft was repainted and all the civilians you see my guess was special ops people. All top secret at the time. Reason why away from everything. Capsule was removed and 62 1857 had in flight refueling capabilities. During the IRAN hostage mission fuel bladder was installed in the back of the aircraft to refuel Helicopters during the IRAN hostage rescue mission. During take off they almost crashed the aircraft.
edit on 5-8-2013 by Chuckvg because: Just remembers more stuff I worked on theses for 7 yrs.,

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Chuckvg

Sorry gang notice the dates. The Iran hostages was back in the 80's my guess all this is during the deactivation of the 42nd.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Here found this link hope this clears up what was going on. www.carolinasaviation.org...
c130herculesheadquarters.yuku.com...
edit on 5-8-2013 by Chuckvg because: (no reason given)

I was at Keesler from 84-91 worked on 1857, 7 ABCC aircraft was in operation. Some had -7 engines. They all ended up with T56-15 and in flight refueling capabilities. The squadron moved to DM 42. These aircraft flew in Vietnam, Panama Just Cause Operations, Saudi spent 6 months there. Desert Shield Storm and in support of Bosina. Also most anything else that was going on.
edit on 5-8-2013 by Chuckvg because: Remembers more info

edit on 5-8-2013 by Chuckvg because: Remember more info. On all edits

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chuckvg

Here found this link hope this clears up what was going on.
www.carolinasaviation.org...
c130herculesheadquarters.yuku.com...

I was at Keesler from 84-91 worked on 1857, 7 ABCC aircraft was in operation. Some had -7 engines. They all ended up with T56-15 and in flight refueling capabilities. The squadron moved to DM 42. These aircraft flew in Vietnam, Panama Just Cause Operations, Saudi spent 6 months there. Desert Shield Storm and in support of Bosina. Also most anything else that was going on.

Thanks for that info. So this aircraft is going to end up at the museum you posted the link to.

Still begs the question, what was it doing at Base Camp when I photographed it? I saw only two individuals, in civilian clothing, near the aircraft.
edit on 5-8-2013 by FosterVS because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Still begs the question, what was it doing at Base Camp when I photographed it? I saw only two individuals, in civilian clothing, near the aircraft.

I don't think I ever saw a person in uniform at Base Camp. I'm sure there is someone from the USAF there, but we know the CIA uses the base. If you think about it, the base commander must be wondering what bad thing he did to get such an assignment. Why did they send me to Base Camp? Is there no room in hell?

A lot of warfare these days is "low intensity", especially South America and Africa. You can do a lot with just one C-130. Haul guns, ammo, trucks, etc. Generally any aircraft out of Florida or North Carolina is suspect to be special ops or CIA related. Pope AFB and Bob Sikes in particular.

When I found N19D out at Base Camp, they were just practicing jumps. Probably they wanted a desert environment to match the final destination.

Incidentally, the claw.pdf is a good read.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 08:27 AM
link   
NIce i live around an airforce base

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Barely relevant to Base Camp, but the guy that was the "cut out" for the CIA Cessna Caravans at Base Camp was indicted by the feds.

Ronald Powers no longer protected by the feds
Atlanta Air Salvage
Cut Out

Needless to say, I will be reading the trial transcripts to see what Ronald Powers says about his previous contracts.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join