It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$1.5 Million Fine for Downloading 24 Songs

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
See here is my issue.

I can go on youtube right this second and watch perfectly legal uploads of the music this woman is being sued for. The record companies put this stuff up, some have adverts, others don't but the point is i am able to sample the music before going and buying it. This is all many downloaders are doing, they want to sample the music, if it's good enough they will buy it, if it isn't they won't.

But there are other issues. While in the 70's, 80's and even the 90's people usually had a small sample of artists they loved and bought those records/cd's the modern music industry has really changed this. We now have an unbelievable array of music that is available to anyone at the click of a button. Most people simply cannot afford to buy all of it. I know most people can't afford to buy a Ferrari either so why do they think downloading isn't the same as stealing a car?

I would suggest it is because they believe art is something to be shared and they know the artists are usually rather rich so they don't see the problem. Maybe some of them think the music is rather overpriced as well.

I have/had a ton of cd's, all purchased legally and i wanted to make copies but ripping that many CD's takes forever, downloading them can be done legally but i would have to pay for items i already own, so whats wrong with downloading them for free? Not that i did of course. I also have a friend who lost some of his CD's and others were to damaged to rip so he downloaded those. He already paid for it once afterall.

Even so, artists used to make a ton of money by doing long tours in front of massive crowds. Does anyone doubt that one of the rubbish modern pop monstrosities (I'm looking at you Justin Bieber) would be able to suck in tremendous amounts of money from a large open air concert? Does the guy even need record sales?

The record companies need to move with the times because their legal actions won't do anything. If they priced things far lower then i think piracy would be lower.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by triplereiki

I just think its sad. What is this country coming to when you can be sued for 1.5 mil for petty theft.
We all are probably guilty of this in some way watch out you might be next one who loses everthing so a point can be made. I think she sould have to pay 20.00 per song and maybe community service might be in order.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
It's so completely absurd that i can't even comprehend how something got this far.

IF ANYTHING she should be fined for the value of the songs she downloaded ($1.00 each on iTunes) and then another measly fine like $20 or something.

Anyone that stands by this is a complete moron. By no means should an entire family be torn apart and ruined because of 24 songs downloaded from the internet.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Wow, that's so stupid. Music these days is filled with subliminal messages and subliminals are considered illegal, so why can't we sue them motherf*ckers back? So they want us to pay to get brainwashed and mind controlled... hmm nice

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

Beacause downloading music does not equate to stealing a car, or a CD, or anything else. There is no loss of tangible property. A copy is made, and that is it.

Me downloading music is akin to making a Xerox of a magazine article at the library. If my friends want to read the article, I will make them a copy of it. Did I steal the magazine, or even the original article, or is it still at the library?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

edit on 11/5/2010 by Lemon.Fresh because: spelling

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

Lol erm yeah man i don't have a problem with people downloading so theres no need to jump at me like that.

Physical goods are different to digital art i think, artists are usually happy to get their stuff heard, that used to be the big reward. Oh sure the money was nice but the fame and recognition was the main attraction. Now it seems money is more important but it's usually the record industry and not the artists that are so aggressive about it.

The record industry is trying to plug a hole in a rather large dam, either they move with the times or the dam will burst and hoepfully drown the lot of them. Because right now it is the mainstream industry which has killed good music.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
It is in my opinion that anybody sued by the Music Industry for this charge should file a counter lawsuit in which they sue the music industry for releasing such crappy artists in the past decade. Bieber, Spears, Kesha, et al. They are molesting my ears with their crappy music, and I want some monetary compensation for the pain and suffering I go through having to deal with their crap on the radio, ads on the internet, and the like.

And besides that, people should learn how to check their trackers before they download music from P2P networks. They wouldn't get caught if they were smart.

Peace be with you.

-truthseeker

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthseeker1984

And besides that, people should learn how to check their trackers before they download music from P2P networks. They wouldn't get caught if they were smart.

Peace be with you.

-truthseeker

Won't work, the music industry doesn't simply set up trackers (although thats one strategy), they just join a swarm and log all of the IP's that connect to them. As for Kazaa and Limewire when they were around, you don't know who you are connecting to. Software like Peerguardian isn't really effective on it's own either.

If people want to be safe they should grab a subscription to an encrypted VPN service, perferably using openVPN and SSL encryption rather than the PPTP stuff most VPN's favour. A cheap service will cost around 5 USD per month or 10 USD for something pretty nice.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Pirates buys more than non-pirates...
www.independent.co.uk...

People get a taste of the music out there, and buy what they like.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Whyhi

No, if I give my friend a CD that I own. Is that stealing?

NOPE

Thats all P2P networks are....

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
all this NWO. Burr ______ is just Geting me Mad. and i hate to say this but

WAKE UP. dont you guys see what they doing..

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984

Originally posted by truthseeker1984

Peace be with you.

-truthseeker

Won't work, the music industry doesn't simply set up trackers (although thats one strategy), they just join a swarm and log all of the IP's that connect to them. As for Kazaa and Limewire when they were around, you don't know who you are connecting to. Software like Peerguardian isn't really effective on it's own either.

If people want to be safe they should grab a subscription to an encrypted VPN service, perferably using openVPN and SSL encryption rather than the PPTP stuff most VPN's favour. A cheap service will cost around 5 USD per month or 10 USD for something pretty nice.

It can work if people know what they are looking for. I have not had a problem using Demonoid, and I have been using them for almost a year now. If you see a Pirate Bay tracker pop up, just dump it, because the RIAA uses Pirate Bay as a front now. I do agree with getting a subscription to an encrypted VPN service though. It makes sense if you're doing heavy downloading from torrents. I do like Demonoid though. Memberships given out are rare, and they only work internally, meaning that they have no trackers logged from outside of their own website. This isn't to say, however, that someone from the RIAA didn't get a membership and start flooding the site, but I've also not heard of anybody from that site getting caught. Usually you hear about the dumbarses using Limewire or other such programs getting caught. And besides, they can't copyright a bit. They don't know for sure what you are compiling (I could label something: "Paranormal Activity 2!", and really have it come out as something completely different), and to be able to "check" your computer for what you are compiling would be a violation of unlawful search, so their hands are tied when concerning bittorrent networks. They have to prove that you indeed downloaded it onto your computer, and in order to do that they need a search warrant. The hardcore torrenters that I know use some sort of killswitch for their computer in order to destroy data in the event they are searched...a small price to pay to avoid a multi million dollar lawsuit.

Anyway, those are my thoughts on the matter. They will never restrict the free flow of data.

Peace be with you.

-truthseeker

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Trent Reznor has some interesting thoughts on the issue! Here is a real musician who is not all about the money, he has given a lot of his new material away for free, that is material on his own label, since he left the fat cats behind. If you check up the his financial stats he has a relatively modest level of wealth considering he has been so successful.

What can I say? I love Trent Reznor, and when this is all over I think we should get an apartment together...

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
ok OK

Now Everyone Take or your Recording devices

Like Tape Recorders ,VCRS DVD recorders , CD DVD Burners , DVR's and Destroy them , Trash them !

Ironically Most Cable Company's, ( Movies, Shows ,and Even Music!! Channels )
Those Company's Will give you the Option! Of a DVR Device!

They will even Hand you one if you want it! Timer Warner ! and Direct TV!! for Example!
I even Remember back in the Day that HBO!! even told you to set UP your VCR! to Record!! Before the Movie Started and don't forget the VCR COPY WARS in the Early 80s!!!

You you Tell Me is that Stealing ! ? even tho.. ! The Cable' & Satellite Company's Will allow you to Record! ?

if it wasn't for P2P & Napster! People around the World would not Even Heard of a Particular Band that they would of Enjoyed and to Hook them to buy an Album Would you People Buy an Album that you are not Familiar with ? I wouldn't its Like a Sample or a Movie Trailer

Metallica Front Man Drummer Lars (Anti Copy himself) later on Realized this when he and the Band notice that People was listening and BUYING Their Album's for Distant Middle of Nowhere Countries all because of Napster or a similar P2P

The Best thing I love when I Buy a Music CD is the Bonus features ! that have Videos & Games Info Documents in them ! Just like the Bonus Special Features Close Captions, Language Select , on a Movie DVD/Blue Ray Especially a 2 DVD set! Packed with Information Something you cant get on a P2P !

and dont forget the Franchise ! you Know Posters, Tshirts (Clothing) Jewelry TOYS! Etc...
From those Movies & Bands We so Much Like !

Ohh Happy Birthday to you ! Oops sorry i cant Sing that Song its Considered a Copy Right Infringement you know !! even Tho its Now Owned buy the Same Company that Hands you that DVR from their Cable Company to Record those Show Movies and Music! While you are Away!! Cheers!

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   
The whole pirate scene is great. I used to buy crap movies and CD's all the time. Movies that are total crap, with zero rewatchability(if that is a real word lol). Blow 25-30 bucks on a DVD I watch once. Music CD's that cost 20-25 bucks, and have one or two decent songs on it. No more, I download everything digital first, if it is worth the money I will buy it. Never again will I be ripped off for lousy entertainment. If you put out good stuff, you get my hard earned money, if not, too bad.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

I agree but what I wonder is if that is a bit of a 'chicken and egg' scenario?

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nutter

What if the artist is dead? Is that considered stealing from the artist or their "estate"?

Once again,

Simple method.

No need to try and justify actions by arguing rights.

It's either legal or not.

Don't steal.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by badgerprints

Originally posted by Nutter

What if the artist is dead? Is that considered stealing from the artist or their "estate"?

Once again,

Simple method.

No need to try and justify actions by arguing rights.

It's either legal or not.

Don't steal.

Is that your original material in your avatar then?

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
ohh I forgot ! The Real ! Pirate's!

Speaking of Copyright Infringement !

Still the Drum plays
Vista & OSX

Apple WWDC 2006-Windows Vista Copies Mac OS X

Microsoft, Apple, IBM – Antitrust and Pirates of Silicon Valley
by Hiroshi on 11-06-2009

Read more: www.techmynd.com...

Trailer!

Pirates of Silicon Valley-Microsoft steals from Apple

Basically are you Pirating on a Pirated Operating System ! ? of a Song that a Band Pirated from a 1920s Song?

For Music ! Half Of Led Zeppelins Material is Copied from the Old Blues Music from the 1920s to 1950s
Copied from the Famed , Sun House , LeadBelly , Blind Willie Johnson , is one example ... as they Updated the Music from the Song itself to Guitar Riffs to what we now know is Remix

Just to Add!!

Anyone Remember/Heard of Country Joe ! in the Famed Woodstock of 1969
The Vietnam Song ! does anyone Realize that Song was basicly derived from a
Song Called Cocaine by Dick Justice ! and Country Joe just Changed the Lyrics !
Was that Considered a Copyright infringement ?

On top that from Pirating and Stealing Riffs Clips Etc.. Hip Hop & Rap would not Exist!!! EVER!!
edit on 5-11-2010 by Wolfenz because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by triplereiki

I say it's fare game. You know the risks and don't be appaled when you get hit with the reward for your hard work downloading somebody's copyrighted work. It's like saying if you wear a pink shirt to work, we will hang you. You just would not do it. I don't care if it seems too much of a repremand. You know the risks, but take them at your OWN risk and don't be suprised when the S@it hits the fan.

I personally download copyrighted materials, but if I got caught, I wouldn't be expecting anything less than some serious s@it to hit the fan.
edit on 5-11-2010 by Neutradol because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join