It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$1.5 Million Fine for Downloading 24 Songs

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Whyhi
reply to post by triplereiki

Stealing is stealing, regardless if you're going to share it.

~

Do you have written permission for using the image of Obama for you avatar?

Get off you high horse unless you can show me you are legally using that image, and while your at it do you mind if I look through your media collection?

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Sippy Cup

Got your point there...I would want someone to ask my permission first if they could publish my photo, whether they are making money from it or not.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 01:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

Forgive me if I am reading your entry wrong,
but I didnt say the following:
"Stealing is stealing, regardless if you're going to share it."

My window isnt showing right. LOL

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by fooks

Bingo! There's the words Personal use.
thats what I have been doing for a long time saving my original copies in beautiful condition, and using the copies of those for my car, etc....good thing, too, if someone stole my CD's from my car, they sure as heck dont get the originals.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sippy Cup

Originally posted by PsykoOps
This and also this.

Is stealing wrong, yes. But who are the real thieves here? The poor college student who downloads a few songs and gives musicians free publicity by sharing music they enjoy, or the RIAA who sues them for thousands more than the song costs?

An argument that I'm hearing a lot from people is that piracy is wrong because its illegal. This is a flawed argument, because a law is not always morally right.Slavery used to be legal, and today most people would think that's wrong. The law used to state that only white males could vote - surely that isn't right either. Laws in other countries condemn a woman to death if she sleeps with a man out of wedlock. Deny ignorance - even if you don't agree with piracy, at least acknowledge that a law does not make an action right.

Should people download music without paying for it? No.
Should a person be allowed to listen to music to see if they like it before buying? Yes.
Should companies charge high fees for music out of greed? No.

In my opinion, the music and movie industry has forgotten an old saying that holds true:
The customer is always right.

If people aren't buying the music, and are resorting to alternative means, the music industry should re-evaluate its business model, reconsider its actions, and work with its customers to find a compromise. Using their power to bully their own customers into accepting an outdated, expensive, and unfair system isn't right.

It shouldn't be a crime to share a song you like with a friend. Its not a crime to share a book - why should music and movies be any different.

The RIAA in particular cries about how their industry is being destroyed by piracy - claiming that every downloaded song is a lost purchase. This is bollocks.

I download movies, I download music. Sometimes I'll even download software and games. If it is good, and I appreciate it, I tell everybody I know its good, and, when I can, I buy a legal copy. (This is especially true for software.)

There are modern companies that flourish without DRMs and anti-piracy software - and because they trust the customer, their customers respect them.

What the RIAA is doing isn't out of defense, its out of GREED.
Since when did fining a college kid $500,000 for 5 downloaded songs become the "Right" thing to do?

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 03:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity

I hope they don't hold their breaths they'll never see that money.

She probably doesn't even have a job, or any assets.

Exactly what I was thinking there is something called BANKRUPT which means the RIAA can kisss her pretty lil ass....

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 03:21 AM
link   
i smell pigs all over this thread!! i pay for all my music tbh

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 03:24 AM
link   
There's no justice in that fine. That's why now I only buy cds if I find them used.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 03:27 AM
link   
It's #ing ridiculous in my opinion, and in this economy, that anyone be harassed for downloading something they enjoy.

Once again, it boils down to the class wars. You think any popular musician gives a damn? No, they just want to throw it in the peoples faces that they are wealthier, and can have as much damn money as they want.

You want to know a real musician? Here, here's a real god damn musician.

And guess what? You can download ANY of his songs, listen to his song Obnoxious on youtube. "Burn it off the #in internet and bump it outside". Also, guess what? He makes more money than most of the artists out there who sign off their souls to the corporate monster of Hollywood

# the system.

Edit to ADD:

And you know what? I encourage people to go out and PIRATE AS MUCH as they POSSIBLY can.

Because at this point in the world, it doesn't even matter.
edit on 5-11-2010 by Revolution-2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 04:01 AM
link   
Not sure if it is already mentioned, but I always think they make it possible for people to download, especially children. They just keep the records and do nothing....

As 90% of the (young) people have downloaded something they have a HUGE database of people to either:

- Prosecute
- Blackmail
- Threaten

You see? Everyone who downloaded in the past, present or future, could theoretically be sued. They might wait a few years, they might never do it. But they have a "read made" case against you laying on the shelf just in case... Anybody sees my point?

Imagine the "hidden" power it gives the authorities!

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 04:09 AM
link   
reply to post by EarthOccupant

Well, if you're halfway intelligent:

1) If your modem is broadcasting a wireless signal, technically they have no proof it was you.

2) If there's no evidence, there's no proof.

3) Never, EVER, let authorities, moronic idiots or other entities claiming to be from organization whatever the *bleep*, in your house without seeing and mandated search warrant. No warrant, tell them they can speak with your attorney. Protip:

Don't spend money on an attorney, just destroy *all* of the evidence. IE, smash your hard drive, ipod, etc, and burn it in a fire.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 04:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Revolution-2012

Yes you are right,

But how many are not wizzkids? How many are just pushing buttons without understanding they are doing?

Of course there are ways to avoid it ( Not downloading would be one ;-) But the mass who did/doing this have no idea..

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 04:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by zelaar

Should people download music without paying for it? No.
Should a person be allowed to listen to music to see if they like it before buying? Yes.
Should companies charge high fees for music out of greed? No.

Should people be forced to work minimum wage jobs in order to barely survive? No.
Should a person be able to enjoy entertainment that suits their needs? Yes
Should humans have to spend there very valuable dollar to enjoy their entertainment? No

Or, how about, should we all just Wake up, eat, Go to work, eat, Get off work, eat, Go to sleep, without any form of enjoying life what so ever, so the corporate monster can fly to Fiji and bang high class whores? Should we just sit in our little box and not get mad? Yeah, in fact, I think that's a great idea everyone!!!

Just sit in your house, do what you're told and ensure the corporate monsters remain in control. That's a great idea everyone, let's all do that.

Don't tell me I didn't see the point, because I did.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 04:19 AM
link   
reply to post by EarthOccupant

Just giving everyone some pointers.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 04:44 AM
link   
High class whores in fiji!!! IS THAT WHAT THEM BASTERDS DO with all that money?? You forgot about the
champaign wishes, cavier freakin dreams, and 10 lambo's....

Im all about someone making money MAKE ALL THE MONEY YOU CAN!! but if your making money don't go sue somone as an example to boost your ego or because you can't control everyone you please, it's like modern day witch burning....

If all else failes don't forget to file chapter 9 as a last resort.....
edit on 5-11-2010 by thecinic because: forgot a g in champaign the RIAA might sue you for misspelling their favorite 10grand a bottle beverage

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 05:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Revolution-2012
Should people be forced to work minimum wage jobs in order to barely survive? No.
Should a person be able to enjoy entertainment that suits their needs? Yes
Should humans have to spend there very valuable dollar to enjoy their entertainment? No

Or, how about, should we all just Wake up, eat, Go to work, eat, Get off work, eat, Go to sleep, without any form of enjoying life what so ever, so the corporate monster can fly to Fiji and bang high class whores? Should we just sit in our little box and not get mad? Yeah, in fact, I think that's a great idea everyone!!!

Just sit in your house, do what you're told and ensure the corporate monsters remain in control. That's a great idea everyone, let's all do that.

Don't tell me I didn't see the point, because I did.

While a little more extreme than what I was saying, your opinion is pretty much the chaotic version of what I was saying.
I think its wrong how RIAA treats people, and how they don't bat an eye when they ruin people's lives. The crime doesn't fit the punishment, so I'm all for fighting the power.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 05:29 AM
link   
50% of the posters here pro RIAA are hypocrits
The day you get busted downloading illegaly, i would be the first laughing my face off when you get fined for 1,5 m $

Im a pirate and i personaly share around and share over 2700 gigs of datas, and guess what, i aint gonna get busted, and at the best , im trying to cover and protect all my peers

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 05:33 AM
link   

They will try to make someone an example, just hope it is not you.

If they don't, no one will give a damn.

If they do and people still download in mass, then they can't do much after that.

This is merely a test.

GOOD luck people, I know all of you are in to it
Don't stop now..

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 06:00 AM
link   
"Downloading music for free is NOT A BIG DEAL?! I'm gonna show you somethin'...and I don't think you're gonna like it..."

If this continues musicians and recording artists will have to downgrade to a Gulf Stream IV personal jet from a Gulf Stream V personal jet!

They won't be able to get diamond teeth but will have to settle for a platinum grill!

They won't be able to install their gold plated aquarium right away and will have to SAVE UP for a few weeks to get one!

They will have to settle for a normal limo instead of a stretch limo WITHOUT SPINNING HUBCAPS!!!

This means recording artists won't be able to buy their own personal islands!!!

"NOT A BIG DEAL!?!?!?"

This is a travesty and if it continues I think we should all write our congressman to push for MUCH harsher penalties than millions of dollars in fines!

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Might as well start raping and killing as many people as you can, people. At least the punishment isn't as bad as a $1.5m fine.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join