It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$1.5 Million Fine for Downloading 24 Songs

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 10:51 PM
link   
One more thing I forgot to "share"......I had over 300 cassette tapes, and over 400 CD I paid full price for at stores.......Out of EACH of those tapes and cds, there were only two or three favorite songs I liked, yet the artists were paid for music I didnt want/like.

I also have a large DVD collection....many I buy just to enjoy the movie, then it sits for years in a box.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by PApro
Another random point i would like to bring up is that there are many legit reasons to use file sharing networks and most of those programs automaticly search for files to be shared on ones computer.

Yes, there are MANY legit resons to have file sharing. I am in a field (Civil Engineering) where the information/education gets "changed" every 2 years. Do I really need to buy about 10 books (each costing $150-$250 each) every 2 years? When I have the rights to the original copy?

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps
And how much do the artist get from this? How much would've the 'penalty' been if it were physically stolen from a store.

Hmm......24 songs.....about a CD or 2 (at the most)........$40?

Yet she is being charged with 1.5 million.

"Starving Artist's" my ass!!!!!

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   
I used to (and still do ) buy audio. I make a copy of my fave songs from those and play the hell out of the copy on my stereo or in my car.....I used to ruin tapes I played them so much, so that is when I decide to save the originals and play the copies.
no i never sold any copies which I know for sure is against the law......

by the way since stealing is stealing, I still would like to know when is my country gonna get its millions of dollars back!

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   
When record companies and publishers choose to humble themselves and begin to respect their customers, then perhaps the alienated customers will choose to do the same. Until that day, "piracy" will never go away, no matter how evil anyone tries to make it seem or what silly terms are pinned on it.. such as "piracy", the act of violently overtaking a ship in the sea.

Nothing will change however. Publishers will continue to try and squeeze every last dime out of their customers, and will continue to ask them to eat crap with a spoon and demand their money as well.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   
One more thing that came to my mind...If downloading music (sharing) is considered stealing, then who is going to pay for the music played at parties....that would be anywhere from 5- 30 or more people getting a great opportunity to listen for 'free" and not paying for it.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   
People love to argue semantics and go on long rants over stuff like this but it really is simple.

Don't steal.

I know. That goes over a lot of peoples heads.....just too hard to process......those two little words really confuse them.

It takes a bit of effort but you can understand if you want to.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by badgerprints
People love to argue semantics and go on long rants over stuff like this but it really is simple.

Don't steal.

I know. That goes over a lot of peoples heads.....just too hard to process......those two little words really confuse them.

What if the artist is dead? Is that considered stealing from the artist or their "estate"?

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Sharing, copying or transferring copyrighted material without the creators written consent, is ILLEGAL. Doesn't matter if its Music, eBooks, Books, Speeches, drawings.....if its Copyrighted, you cannot share, distribute or duplicate copies of it without permission. Not even on a second CD to play in your car. If anyone else hears your copied disc, you're considered sharing it. This is stealing, or "Bootlegging". Read the Copyright laws people. Your excuses offer no loopholes here.
edit on 11/4/2010 by MadDogtheHunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   
The defense of D/Ling a torrent but not uploading is almost impossible to prove because to date, I have yet to see a p2p that does not simultaneously upload while downloading. Are there any that disables uploading?

My biggest argument has always been, I buy the album, the media player evolves. I buy the 8 track, cassette, cd and try to keep up with the times. I buy the players from pretty much the same companies, and now they want me to buy the music yet again? The latest media is the most convenient to store my library and I add them to my computer for easy access. If I then sell my old cds, do I forfeit my ownership to the music even though I paid over and over?

I don't agree with punishing torrent users, because like stated earlier (and in countless prior threads), the user is not taking a physical thing away from anyone. If the user had no intention of spending money on the music, then there is no lost revenue. Nothing has to be reproduced to replace a downloaded song. The 'inventory' is still in it's original location. Also as stated earlier, RIAA keeps all monies won, so essentially they are suing for something that is not lost, for money that will not be given to the perceived victim, and this is ok with the law?

If the mantra is that D/Ling supports terrorism, and the only money that changes hands is with the RIAA, then maybe the industry is chasing the wrong ghost!

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by badgerprints

Don't steal.

So I'm assuming that you sought permission from the original photographer of that image of Lee Marvin in your avatar before you used it? Or should I call the police right now because of your "theft"

Same goes to you Madd Dog, I'm assuming all the images in your avatar and sig are taken by you and not "stolen" from the internet
edit on 4-11-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 11:19 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Every time a person shares a song file with another, the Artist who created/sold that original copy, loses an album sale. Multiply this over and over as more and more copies get shared across the net, and that Artist DOES suffer major losses due to the fact that none of those people actually BOUGHT that album. An Artist has a right to earn money from what they create. Whether any of you like that concept or not.

If you download a song/movie without paying a penny for it, you STOLE it. Plain and simple. You're guilty, as is the original person who ripped it in the first place with intent to share it.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nutter

Originally posted by MadDogtheHunter
Sharing, copying or transferring copyrighted material without the creators written consent, is ILLEGAL. Doesn't matter if its Music, eBooks, Books, Speeches, drawings.....if its Copyrighted, you cannot share, distribute or duplicate copies of it without permission. Not even on a second CD to play in your car. If anyone else hears your copied disc, you're considered sharing it. This is stealing, or "Bootlegging". Read the Copyright laws people. Your excuses offer no loopholes here.
edit on 11/4/2010 by MadDogtheHunter because: (no reason given)

And you sound like a pure tyrranical dick. No offense mate.

So, you've never been to friends house and listened to their music? If you say not, you are a liar and we all know it. If so, you are a pirate and need to be executed (or at least need to give up 1.5 million)......your choice of course as this is still a free country correct?
Theres a big difference between hearing a song at someones house and downloading it without paying for it. And must we resort to name calling? I mean, really, grow up.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by MadDogtheHunter

Just to help you out.

Here is the website of Hamlyn publishing, who published and own the copyright of the image that you are using for your avatar.
I'm sure if you write them an email they will be happy to work out how much you owe them for sharing the image with the thousand of people on this site.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by MadDogtheHunter
Every time a person shares a song file with another, the Artist who created/sold that original copy, loses an album sale. Multiply this over and over as more and more copies get shared across the net, and that Artist DOES suffer major losses due to the fact that none of those people actually BOUGHT that album. An Artist has a right to earn money from what they create. Whether any of you like that concept or not.

How bout this? Get rid of the middle man? Nah, that wouldn't make you money now would it? Sorry, but I get that feeling from you that you have an intersest in this.

If you download a song/movie without paying a penny for it, you STOLE it. Plain and simple. You're guilty, as is the original person who ripped it in the first place with intent to share it.

So, if someone steals a $20 off you and leaves it at the store and you happen to pick it up.....then you are a thief yourself?

BTW, did I happen to mention you really sound like a Sony Exec?

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners

Just to help you out.

Here is the website of Hamlyn publishing, who published and own the copyright of the image that you are using for your avatar.
I'm sure if you write them an email they will be happy to work out how much you owe them for sharing the image with the thousand of people on this site.

Now we resort to personal attacks. Come on.....did my truth offend you? It must have. For that, I will not apologize. I posted the absolute truth about bootlegging illegal content. Have a good day.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners

Just to help you out.

Thanks for this. It just goes to show how hypocritical people are. Unless you paid for that image MadDog...you STOLE it..... Hee Haw.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Nutter

I have no interest in any of this...its called Common Sense and Common Knowledge of the Copyright Laws. Its not my fault if people choose to remain ignorant of written laws that are easily accessible.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 11:32 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join