It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Keepseagle case

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Sorry if it doesn't belong here, but it seemed the best place...

the keepseagle case vs. USDA was created due to the fact that USDA workers discriminated against native americans in a loan program started in '81. my father and grandfather were victims of said discrimination. my grandfather was very sick, and it was an extremely rough winter. he could not pay the debts, asked for a default, but, the person at the office said no, we have to take your cows. my father was denied a loan also. but, the white men who lived nearby were given loan upon loan, default upon default. (in the case of my grandfater, the white man who lived across the road was given a default as many times as he needed).

the keepseagle case was proposed in 1999. after 11 years of waiting, native americans have won.

(WASHINGTON, D.C. – Oct. 19, 2010) Native American farmers and ranchers and the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) today announced an historic agreement to settle a nationwide class action lawsuit (Keepseagle v. Vilsack) that alleged discrimination in USDA’s farm loan program dating back to 1981. The agreement brings to an end 11 years of litigation, and marks the beginning of what is expected to be a new partnership between USDA and the Native American community.

visit www.cmht.com... for full article.

this is a grand win for natives because it will make it easier for natives to start ranches. but, there is another, similar, case waiting for a hearing... i cannot recall the name...

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Mmmm....it's sad to say that over the years, the government has been trying to "help" native Americans and only screwing them in the end (not sure why - very screwy)...but based on past history I'm not sure I look forward to a "new partnership" between the USDA and native Americans.

Good luck to you.

new topics

join