It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: US Resumes Diplomatic Relations with Libya

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 10:47 PM
link   
In what is being labeld a huge step in Libyan-American relations, the United States has resumed formal relations with Libya today. Formal relations ended almost 24 years ago following Muammar al-Qaddafi's rise to power. Once labeled the "Mad Dog of the Middle East" by former President Ronald Reagan, Col. Qaddafi stunned many international analysts by formaly renouncing his country's WMD programs this year. This step forward in relations corresponded with an increased Western desire to renew commerce with Libya. Libya must still remove its name from the State Department's annual list of countries who sponsor terrorism, but analysts believe Libya is on course to cementing full diplomatic relations soon.

FoxNews.com
The United States has resumed diplomatic relations with Libya after a 24-year break, the State Department said Monday. It was the same day the United States also established relations with the Iraqi government, after severing ties with Saddam Hussein's regime in 1990.

The State Department had established an informal U.S. Liaison Office in Tripoli a few months ago when weapons inspectors and other business executives had started operating in Libya and needed diplomatic services such as passport and visa assistance. The statement by U.S. Assistant Secretary of State William Burns on Monday announced the formal inauguration of the office and resumption of direct diplomatic ties.

The formal resumption of relations does not mean that full diplomatic ties have been re-established. This will not happen until Libya has been removed from a list of state sponsors of terrorism (search) that the State Department annually submits. Seven nations are currently on that list.

Libya could provide the United States with a glimmering beacon of hope in an increasingly rocky relationship with the Middle East.

Related News Stories:
CNN
The KhaleejTimes.com
Voice of America
Financial Times
Bloomberg
Reuters
ABC

[edit on 29-6-2004 by Banshee] extra DIV

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 11:33 PM
link   
A question I couldnt ask in the original submission was whether or not users think that Libya can remove itself from the State Sponsored Terror list.

I really feel positive about this whole turn of events, and I feel that Qadaffi understands the need for a dialogue with the west.

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agent47
A question I couldnt ask in the original submission was whether or not users think that Libya can remove itself from the State Sponsored Terror list.

I really feel positive about this whole turn of events, and I feel that Qadaffi understands the need for a dialogue with the west.

Yes I think that the that Lybia can remove itself. But a loooong period of probation is needed I think. You have to react to thier ovatures. If not what incentive to rouge states have to reform if they will be shunned when they make an effort to comply with the demands made upon them. Qudaffi really had no chocie once the Soviet support dried out. I think that Cuba is next. Remember as Reagan said "trust but verify"

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Here we go again.

FOX News....are you kidding me?
They can surely be trusted to put the spin on things....ya think?

Qadaffi more than likely made a deal with the US government (read oil companies) to 'comply' with their demands in exchange for a hefty sum of money and/or significant economic gains on behalf of his cooperation.

Give up your 'Made in the USA' WMD's, let us drill for oil, we will throw you 5% of the profits and you can retire at Club CIA with 20 of your closest friends. By the way, you might just find Saddam on the chez lounge beside you!

Don't be fooled by the crap on this one.
There is absolutely no reason why all of a sudden Libya is on the US' good side. I guess he got scared after seeing what the cluster bombs and depleted uranium can do to a desert ridden wasteland. Or he saw how lucrative compliance with the US military for hire can be. Yeah...that's it!

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Merovingian

Here we go again....

How about CNN?
The Khaleej Times?
Voice of America?
UK's Financial Times?
Bloomberg?
Reuters?
ABC?

I could go on. Really.

How about a little look-see on the intarweb before you spout off next time?

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Banshee

Banshee is providing some great advice.

Libya's overtures to turn their WMD programs around and the US lifting Libyan sanctions was plastered on many foreign and domestic news services.

And FYI Merovingan, Libya doesnt have to deal with American oil companies as they belong to OPEC. As in the dollars will roll in either wa.

Some people forget that the world does still support the idea of diplomacy.

I recently read a US News and World Report concerning Libya and it mentioned that Qadaffi may pass the reigns over to his son. Maybe he would like the boy to inherent positive relationships with the US.

All in all I feel this is a great swing in the right direction. Tripoli is a beautiful city and it would nice to be able to travel their again.

[edit on 29-6-2004 by Agent47]

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Banshee

Here we go again....

How about CNN?
The Khaleej Times?
Voice of America?
UK's Financial Times?
Bloomberg?
Reuters?
ABC?

I could go on. Really.

You're right!
The other 'sources' you quote can't be trusted either.
How absent minded of me to exclude them.
Unless of course you are easily convinced and believe everything you read.

Seems all too often the the 'moderator' designation is infected with this affliction...hmmm.

By the way, can you tell me what the 'intarweb' is? I am not familiar with this term.

Perhaps this is the carefully guarded secret location of the 'truth'!

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Unless of course you are easily convinced and believe everything you read.

There is a difference between ignorance and paranoia.

I find it funny you suggest every international news outlet who ran this story is being duped by some super conspiracy.

Qadaffi wants to return prestige to his country, and improving ties with the west is one of these ways.

Now please stop trying to steer this in the mudpit as this is important international news.

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 01:08 AM
link   
The media outlets are not being fooled...they are being controlled.
Stories are only presented that fit with the mandate of the people and organizations that own or control them.

I am sure that Qadaffi gives a s*** about what the West thinks.

By the way, this is ATS not the Martha Stewart discussion board. What do you expect in these posts? Most people here (I would tend to think) see that there is something wrong in this world and are interested in exposing it rather than taking it in the ass. Do you not share this same perspective or are you willing to take what is fed to you without questioning?

I will leave you alone now to ponder this wonderful and important international news story.

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance -- it is the
illusion of knowledge."

-Daniel Boorstin

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 10:05 AM
link   

The media outlets are not being fooled...they are being controlled.
Stories are only presented that fit with the mandate of the people and organizations that own or control them.

Proof and hard evidence both go a long long way. So far you have not proven anything to me about corrupt media outlets and have not generated any hard evidence that would sway me into believing your statement.

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 10:08 AM
link   
this may be OT, but i for one am glad libya is being welcomed 'back into the fold,' for purely selfish reasons. libya has the worlds last virtually untouched roman ruins, and i think it would kick ___ to visit them some day.

-koji K.

[edit on 29-6-2004 by koji_K]

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 05:22 PM
link   

sway me into believing your statement

Maybe this will help:

www.mediachannel.org...

-raven

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by koji_K
libya has the worlds last virtually untouched roman ruins, and i think it would kick ___ to visit them some day.

No its not OT its just another great bonus of improving relations with a country rich in history.

new topics

top topics

join