It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do preachers preach?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Take it easy you two! There's nothing to argue. Life is good and I need to start respecting my internet peers more.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jovi1
It doesn't take a genius to figure out when your driving through the poorest sections of town everything around it is crumbling but on the same street 5 brand spanking new churches, complete with satellite dishes on the roof and caddy's in the first parking space to know where all the money is.

Not that I disagree that there are SOME churches who have lost their way, would you please cite the town and street where there are five new churches with the attributes that you name? One can use Google Earth to easily verify your claim and demonstrate where the hypocrites are.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Jovi1

Admittedly I attributed one of your previous posts to someone else, and when you kept referring to 'they' it really did seem like you were lumping them all together. In this case, we seem to be fighting on the same side of the argument.. which is something you missed also apparently. I don't agree with everything you said though.

Churches are for the ignorant masses, they are little more than places where the mouth pieces for the intolerant and hateful. 90% of them are so far off their mission it isn't funny and at this point are more of a burden than they are a help.

I hold that there is no truth to this at all based on personal experience.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

Its all on the east side of Cleveland, OH. Can't remember the street names off the top of my head right now but look around Harvard and Kinsmen you will find quite a few of them. It is rampant the poorer the neighborhood, the more churches there are.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by oliveoil

I would give as short answers;
1) Not everybody has heard (knowing that the Bble exists is not the same thing)
2) Not everybody who heard it before was listening.
3) They believe that this is something they have been told to do.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 06:33 AM
link   
reply to post by rebeldog

2. Psychology . a person of borderline intelligence in a former classification of mental retardation, having an intelligence quotient of 50 to 69.

I'm at church twice a week, virtually every week.

My I.Q. is over 150.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jovi1
reply to post by adjensen

Its all on the east side of Cleveland, OH. Can't remember the street names off the top of my head right now but look around Harvard and Kinsmen you will find quite a few of them. It is rampant the poorer the neighborhood, the more churches there are.

Well, I'm not going to randomly search Cleveland satellite imagery if you can't be more specific, but I find your claim that there are numerous new churches with Cadillacs in the parking lot illogical, because churches cost lots of money, Cadillacs cost lots of money, and a church that is in a poor neighbourhood would lack the income to generate lots of money.

Read Jesus' "Sermon on the Mount" -- Christianity is, at its heart, a faith that is directed at the poor and disenfranchised in society, so saying that the poorer a neighbourhood is, the more churches there are is not a surprising finding, but I guarantee you that no one is getting rich by preaching in an inner city church.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by oliveoil

Right or wrong perhaps at least some have read these verses and are trying to follow Jesus example and take part in the prophetic command.

Matthew 4:23

Jesus went throughout Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, preaching the good news of the kingdom, and healing every disease and sickness among the people.

Matthew 24:14

And the Good News about the Kingdom will be preached throughout the whole world, so that all nations will hear it; and then the end will come.

Matthew 28:18-20

18Jesus came and told his disciples, “I have been given all authority in heaven and on earth. 19Therefore, go and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. 20Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you. And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”

At least the sincere Christians do it for the above reasons.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Only Messengers can send messages.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Hey there,

I just wanted to reiterate my last post. In the Kingdom of God, there is a King, messengers, servants, and friends(despite many other things). Let me give you an example:

Romans 10:15 -
"And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!"

In the King's Constitution(what we call the bible), it is written in many areas that when a message gets delivered, it had to be sent first. If that is the case, if no message is sent, there would no need for a messenger. In the case of a "preacher" , the bible declares that one who preaches is one who is sent. If you refuse the messenger, you refuse the one who sent him. With that being said, if it is a message that God confirms to our heart that it came from Him, and we receive it, then we receive the one who sent him to preach it.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by kbonito

Kbonito,

Good reply, I would just add though we are to be watchful and discerning, and will drop a couple KJV verses.

Mt 24:11 And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many.
Mt 7:16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?

We must search the scriptures daily to see if the thing is true. From Acts 17:11

Truthiron.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by truthiron

What do you two think about Judaism? Do you see that faith as truth, cultural or what not?
I'm curious about your answer.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Originally posted by oliveoil
In this day and age when everyone on the face of this planet knows about the bible and Jesus, ( for those of you who don't, my apologies) Why is it necessary to preach what the bible already teaches us?

Is there anyone on the face of the planet who hasn't heard of Coca Cola or doesn't understand what you're supposed to do with it? Why would they continue to advertise? It's sure a whole lot simpler than religion.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

Romantic_Rebel,

Strange you would ask me what I think about Judaism, at the same time since you gave it a whirl and found it too demanding you want my opinion of it. Since this thread is Why do preachers preach? I would say one thing a true Christian preacher should preach is how Judaism lost the ball. However not all of them did and saw their Messiah had come. A preacher "sent" of God preaches to clear up these very type things. If we are on track our faith will be rewarded but if we are off track our faith will perish with the wreck.

Truthiron.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by truthiron

Lost the ball? Jesus never fulfilled what the Messiah was supposed to do. In the Christian Bible Jesus promised many things. Let they feel apart. I think you need to read between the lines.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join