It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Genetic Engineering Program Proposed To NASA

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Genetic Engineering Program Proposed To NASA

www.datelinezero.com

If [J. Craig] Venter’s proposals are put into practice, the United States Government would be directly involved in the genetic engineering of humans for employment in government programs.
Venter is encouraging NASA to consider a program involving genetic modification of humans, saying that such a program would easily compliment existing NASA programs and give those existing programs added value. “NASA’s been doing genetic selection for a long time,” he said. “You just don’t call it that.”
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.parabolicarc.com
www.space.com

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
He spoke to NASA scientists and engineers, making his proposal during two different meetings. I added a Space.com article that mentions his meetings also, but it adds the proposal to NASA for a human genetic program in a pretty incidental manner, at the end of the article.

This comes along right at a time when geneticists seem to be looking for an excuse to clone humans (or manufacture GM humans, or whatever). Personally, I figured that the government would clone humans for war; but maybe that's just from watching too much Star Wars.

Space travel sounds like an innocent reason for a government program like this, doesn't it? But then, every terrible government program began with an innocent proposal.

www.datelinezero.com

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Now this was a good read. Thanks!!

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Awesome post my friend. Theres been lots of speculation that this has been going on for years now at different underground bases around the country. Now their trying to commercialize it scientifically by making a public request to see our reaction. Interesting.....

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Not sure if anyone on here watches greasy anatomy, but last week they had an episode where a trachea was grown in a lab, and then the young patient with the tumor was made whole again.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I don't think human cloning and genetical modification is a bad thing. And nothing will stop the governmet to missuse any invention. We just need more public control.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Echtelior

I agree to a point. They would have to draw the line somewhere at human cloning. We can't just have clones running about everywhere, it would be chaos.

However cloning of organs seems like a great idea. No more having to wait for a donor, and no rejection from your own body.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by splittheatom

I don't know. I mean I do can think of cases where human cloning would be totaly acceptable. For example if a smal child would die in an acident or something worse. Well, at least that's how I see it.

And I'm totally for genetic modification. But, ofcourse, only if both were available for the whole population. Unconditionaly. So it wouldn't become a source of social injustice.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Genetically engineering for space travel: WOULDN'T THAT JUST BE A DWARF. I suppose as dwarfs are smaller they would take less fuel to send them on missions. So we would require:
1. A dwarf.
2. Good general health. No heart problems.
3.Intelligent.
The small bloke off harry potter. Problem solved.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
If no intelligent life exists in space then we have a responsibility to put it there. If that means genetically engineered humans then so be it.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Now it all makes sense!

Lady Gaga - Born This Way
[yvid]

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by mother1138

This comes along right at a time when geneticists seem to be looking for an excuse to clone humans (or manufacture GM humans, or whatever). Personally, I figured that the government would clone humans for war; but maybe that's just from watching too much Star Wars.

www.datelinezero.com

Why clone and genetically engineer human beings for war when you can just drug them up like our government is already doing? Have you heard of the pills some of our soldiers are being given overseas that help them stay awake longer, sometimes so they can go 72 hours with almost no sleep? And the bureaucrats overseeing the VA are surprised to find soldiers riddled with all kinds of various psychological problems when they return home. As if fighting the war wasn't bad enough...

I admit, I'm getting a little off topic. This is a great article you posted, mother1138. Incredibly interesting. I, personally, think the government, and other governments in the world, have been secretly experimenting with human clones and human-animal hybridization for years (in fact, the Chinese recently came out about human-cow hybrids producing human breast milk -- look it up). This would just be a convenient way for them to inch it more and more into the public eye, perhaps in a slightly more acceptable light.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by s12345
Genetically engineering for space travel: WOULDN'T THAT JUST BE A DWARF. I suppose as dwarfs are smaller they would take less fuel to send them on missions. So we would require:
1. A dwarf.
2. Good general health. No heart problems.
3.Intelligent.
The small bloke off harry potter. Problem solved.

Lesbian, dark-skinned dwarves to be precise.

Dwarves - So they take up less space and the ship can be smaller and therefore more efficient.
Dark-skinned - So they don't get as many skin diseases by being exposed to more radiation.
Females - So they can continue to reproduce using frozen sperm.
Lesbians - So they don't get lonely with no males around.

Either that or we genetically modify ourselves into mushrooms - the spores of which are the perfect space vessel

top topics

join