It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your opinion needed -- What is the greatest hoax ever??

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 03:35 AM
link   
David Icke & his Reptilians

Also Democracy is what I consider to be a Hoax!

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Easy:

The Pepsi challenge.

-m0r

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Why Global Warming
Of Course.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by youdidntseeme

So far World of the Worlds has the biggest impact according to the replies of actual hoaxes.
I was hesitant to think of it as a hoax at first but now i am coming round to it

I know what you mean. I really think it was an unintended hoax, or at least it started out that way. I've listened to it on youtube, and I don't think people would go for it now, but who knows?

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 08:52 AM
link   
PT BARNUM'S MERMONKEY!! Nobody said this and it astounds me, it is when PT was quoted as saying"there's a sucker born every minute" As he admitted to the hoax!!!!!!

PT BARNUMS MER-MONKEY
edit on 5-11-2010 by ldyserenity because: I needed to fix a word and add a link!

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity
PT BARNUM'S MERMONKEY!! Nobody said this and it astounds me, it is when PT was quoted as saying"there's a sucker born every minute" As he admitted to the hoax!!!!!!

PT BARNUMS MER-MONKEY
edit on 5-11-2010 by ldyserenity because: I needed to fix a word and add a link!

Yes this is a fine example. And directly in line with what I had in mind.
PT Barnum was one of the finest hoaxsters of his time.

....oh and did I see anyother mention of John Titor last page?
One day I'm goin to have to read what ATS discussed on that one, I am sure its enlightening.
edit on 5-11-2010 by youdidntseeme because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 12:30 AM
link   
No one said this one....Elvis faking his death!!!

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Bigfoot patterson video.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Spaghetti harvest, 1957
I always loved this one.
Not sure how many people fell for it at the time and not necessarily great but it came from BBC's Panorama program which gave it alot of credence.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by amc621

Biggest hoax ever must be the War of the Worlds broadcast.

^ yep, that's what I was going to say! did they record that and sell it? I could have sworn my Grandad had it on once when I was little, and i've heard them talking about it before.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 11:56 PM
link   

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All three of my ex-wives .

Sorry , thought that "hoax" was french for ' hoe's ' .

edit on 7-11-2010 by okbmd because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Myendica

Biggest hoax ever....? Reality. we all fell for it.

Darn you! You bet me to it. I agree 110%. Reality I believe it the biggest hoax there every has been.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 12:38 AM
link   
...the most offensive hoax, imo - - - - immigrating brits/europeans came here in search of a better life, free of theocratic governments, and created a "heaven on Earth" in the americas...

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 01:33 AM
link   

The greatest hoax ever is that we are "free".

They need to remind us, constantly, that we are free because we are not.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
There have been some very good hoaxes posted in response to this thread along with others that are not exactly hoaxes.

By far the actual hoax that most people have chosen has been War of the Worlds which got me thinking.
Can it really be classified as a hoax since it did not intentioanlly deceive the masses? As far as i know the broadcast itself was for entertainment and purported itself as such, not an actual newscast.

What are everyones thoughts on the hoax-worthiness of WotW?

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
This isn't the biggest because they have already been said but how about the alien autopsy? I know nothing about it other than it was a hoax.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by BarmyBilly

That was also a good one. We have talked about it but that doesnt preclude it from being your opinion.

The video that everyone saw back in the 90's was claimed to be a reproduction of a real film that Santilli saw, thereby making the broadcast a hoax, but perhaps it was based on something real.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 07:27 AM
link   
all my favs have been taken already but what about the Loch Ness Monster surgeons photo? That thing fooled alot of people and was some of the best evidence for the loch ness monster. And I agree that religion and freedom are the biggest ones. Religion has cause more deaths than wars have and freedom is merely and illusion.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   
The Webbot project

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by starchild10

With the passing of Nov 14 with nothing happening I was waiting for this to come up.
Not sure if it meets the criteria for a hoax yet, but I guess its just a matter of time.
Dont know if the creators will ever admit the hoaxiness to it though.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join