It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sex Offenders Have Nowhere to Live

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
reply to post by Brood

I'm in the field (Mental Health) don't need an Internet no-name telling me my opinions are ignorant, it holds zero weight with me. Thanks

Perhaps you should pick up a peer-reviewed psychology book instead of e-bullying people about your false claims.

...And in the process breaking ATS rules with personal attacks and one-liners.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by ExPostFacto

Exactly. Such punishments should be reserved to the most heinous offenders.

Thanks.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
There's plenty of room for them to live - in Hell.

And I for one would be willing to send them there!

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by dbloch7986

How about this? Don't commit a sex offense and you won't have to deal with these "issues".

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

Why are you concerned he lives next door to you? Are you afraid he will molest you or yur children? You're obviously aware he's a sex offender so you can avoid him and take measures to protect yourself from him no? I used to live down the street from one. Never met the guy. It didn't bother me one bit.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   
its amazing sometimes how things are coming undone lately. I know someone that had an ex that happened to be a very disgusting person, a predator that not only abused others kids but his own. Was once in the military and now is out because he was able to post bail via his VA benifits. It truly is uncomprehensible how this is allowed to happen. Please God strike this man down where he stands.

link   

Originally posted by dbloch7986
reply to post by crazydaisy

Why are you concerned he lives next door to you? Are you afraid he will molest you or yur children? You're obviously aware he's a sex offender so you can avoid him and take measures to protect yourself from him no? I used to live down the street from one. Never met the guy. It didn't bother me one bit.

Maybe you were an ugly child.

A kid i was friends with's Nan had a lodger for a few years.

She only found out he was a child abuser after my friend got his attention, if you know what i mean.
edit on 4-11-2010 by Tykonos because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by peck420

A thirteen year old can be labeled a sex offender and get arrested (in my state, that I have seen), is that okay? There is always that gray area. A case by case basis should be applied. Try to find housing if you're a felon, that can be extremely hard. I used to tell people that I worked with to try to find a private rental as most apartments and such run background checks and ask if you are a felon on the application. So, in that respect I have seen firsthand how difficult it is for someone getting out of prison after serving their time and want to find housing and get frustrated right from the get go. These days, kids can get the label of sex offender by sending nude pics of themselves and/or friends. I have advised my sixteen year old son just don't do it. Delete pics if you get them and have warned him of the consequence. There are levels of sex offenders and that should be taken into context. Nothing in life is black and white. Good thread; makes me really think.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Brood

If you're worried about it, alert it.
Otherwise, move on...

Both comments were on topic.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
reply to post by Brood

If you're worried about it, alert it.
Otherwise, move on...

Both comments were on topic.

I don't demand that the top of the hierarchy solve all of my problems for me.

Maybe that's where we really differ.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Tykonos

I appreciate your response.

Regardless of whether or not you have sympathy, what would you propose to do with them? Chemical castration will not stop repeat offenses. You and I both know that.

If a rapist lived next door no I would not be afraid.

1) I am more afraid of the guy who is planning to rape and hasn't been caught than the one who did and got caught.

2) He lives there, so what good is it going to do him to rape the neighbor.

3) I am capable of defending myself and family and of rigging my home to prevent unlawful entry.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Brood
Pedophiles suffer from a mental disorder. Not all pedophiles are child molesters, not all child molesters are pedophiles. They cannot control their feelings and cannot be held responsible for them. Their actions are a different story.

I don't believe that paedophilia can accurately be described as a ''mental disorder''.

It's just a sexual preference, the same as heterosexuality, homosexuality or bestiality.

The problem with paedophilia, is it's impossible for someone of that sexuality to be able to physically express their sexual feelings without hurting or exploiting someone else.

With that in mind, everybody convicted of child molestation should never be released from prison; not out of vindictiveness, but because it can never be accurately ascertained that they have been ''rehabilitated''.

If someone is sexually attracted to children, and they have physically acted on these urges, then it is perfectly reasonable to not consider them for release.

The chance of innocent people being hurt by proven sexual predators, is too high a risk to take.

Sexual desires aren't always easily contained by logic or reason, so if someone with a proven track record of physically abusing a child gets an opportunity to have sexual relations with a child after their release, then they may not be able to control this.

I'm a heterosexual male, and if heterosexual sex was criminalised, then I wouldn't stay within the law.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Double post.
edit on 4-11-2010 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by queenofsheba

Exactly the point I alluded to previously.

An underage teen sending pics to another via their cellphone, etc. should not be considered, listed nor made to wear the same "scarlet letter", if you will, as the adult who diddled the neighbor's kid.

The former being most likely due to the innocence/ignorance of youth while the latter is most definitely one of the most egregious acts an adult can perpetrate on a child.

The same goes for mere year or so apart underage/overage consensual relationships which often end with the parents filing charges based more upon their dismay rather than due to the request of either involved.

As you mention, these type cases need to be considered on an individual basis and the law applied proportionate to the "offense".

In the case of a tried and true child molester .... throw the book at them.

In the case of mere poor judgement on behalf of either or, due to age, innocence and/or ignorance ..... kids be kids ... the "punishment" should be meted appropriately and proportionately.

BUT ... the topic isn't merely child molesters and how they should be treated, displaced, imprisoned or dealt with ...

... the topic IS whether or not the restrictions imposed by current law(s) is in effect limiting their ability to find "legal" housing.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

So you are one of the people that expects tbe government to save you?

Law enforcement has never and pray to god it will never be preventive. That's like precrime in minority report.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Brood

Now I don't know what to believe, perhaps wishing death on pedos is wrong after all. Thank you for being you! you're the real hero here. I'm going home to cry large tears and probably go to bed early and try to stay out of trouble from now on. THANK YOU!

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Actually your example of a guy peeing outside being seen by a child and having to register as a sex offender is not uncommon at all. It is very important to pay attention to the language of any new legislation that gets past. For example...

"Sex Offender" can mean any number of things. From a true blue sexual predator, child molester. All the way to a guy who got caught peeing outside behind a bush. Someone who was arrested for statutory rape (which is a consensual act), a women who flashed her friends and got caught. However, we as people automatically associate "Sex Offender" with Child Molester and that is simply not the case at all.

If you were to go to the Family Watchdog website and add in the information of your area, zip code, city and state, you can see how many registered sex offenders live in your area. Which is broken down into 4 categories. 1. Offense against children 2. Rape 3. Sexual Battery which I am sure none of us would object to. Then we have a 4th option simply titled 4. "Other Offense" which can be any of the things we have brought up here. Flashing, peeing in public, indecent exposure

I am of the opinion that some people who are required to register as sex offenders should not have to. If you molest a child, I think we all can agree we have no sympathy for that person, I don't care if he can not find a place to live. You shouldn't have molested any child at all. If we were to keep child molesters in prison I would happily foot that bill with my taxes. In my opinion that is money well spent and we limit the possibilities that the person would do it again.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by harrytuttle

I absolutely agree. Laws have become insane.

When rape is seen as a worse crime than murder and society makes the victim feel worse about admitting it than the rapist does, priorities are all screwed up. Rape victims have been made a spectacle of, hell they laws named after them! No victim wants to be a public spectacle.,

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   

You may be capable of defending yourself, but how sure are you that your child can?

That abuser next door might of had a really bad day, got drunk see your child out in the street and the worst happens.

Don't forget, he has offended before.

edit on 4-11-2010 by Tykonos because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

The first step to rehabilitating someone is to feel compassion for them.

If no ever trusts criminals again they will never make it back into society and will be incarcerated forever.

Society as a whole is more than capable of reassimilating criminals. However so many are so quick to wash their hands of them. We have turned into a cold, callous society. Even towards those that aren't criminals. People just want to throw money at the government and let them deal with it. "Let's ban all the sex offenders and criminals. That way i never have to watch my kids or teach them to defend themselves." That's the attitude of society.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join