It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OP/ED: A New Beginning: Iraq can be free

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Today will be an important one in history books to come. The US led coalition turned over sovereignty to the Iraqi people this morning. The surprise came two days before the announced handover. Whether the war was justified or not, the people of Iraq are now free from a dictatorship that has ruled their country for decades.

Bush and Blairs reaction as power is turned over.

Washington Post

By Rajiv Chandrasekaran
Washington Post Foreign Service
Monday, June 28, 2004; 8:01 PM

BAGHDAD, June 28 -- The United States transferred political authority to an interim Iraqi government in a five-minute surprise ceremony Monday morning, accelerating the planned handover by two days in an effort to avoid attacks by insurgents plotting to mar the event.

At the hastily arranged ceremony, held inside a high-security compound controlled by the American military, U.S. administrator L. Paul Bremer handed a signed document to the chief judge of Iraq's highest court announcing the dissolution of the U.S. occupation administration and the conveyance of political authority to the interim government.

The low-key handover marked the end of direct American control over Iraq's political affairs that began after the U.S. military toppled former president Saddam Hussein's government in April 2003. Bremer, who served as America's viceroy in Iraq, flew out of Baghdad on a military transport plane two hours after the ceremony. The new U.S. ambassador to Iraq, John D. Negroponte, arrived here on Monday evening and reestablished diplomatic ties that had been severed since Hussein's 1990 invasion of Kuwait.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Well the long awaited day is here. Some believed that this day would never come, considering the backlash of terror in the region. Well it is here and it�s a new start for a country so hurt by turmoil from ousted President Saddam Hussein, and this recent war led by the United States. Terrorists will be terrorists, the New Iraqi Government needs to stand strong and give this thing a chance.

Our world has been changed drastically since the tragic events of September 11,2001. It still is a dangerous one, in my opinion, but this could be a new leaf turning over.

Lancaster Online

By Cris Foehlinger
Sunday News
Published: Jun 26, 2004 10:44 PM EST

The headlines and sound bites just keep coming.

But what do they mean? For Robert Pianka of Lancaster, who is working to help restore sanitation systems in Iraq, it means it's time for the Iraqi people to decide they want freedom and to step up and take out the insurgents.
"Their ultimate fate is in their hands. On June 30, we will attempt to hand the responsibility to them. Do they have the support is the question.'' During the latest flare-ups, Pianka said, the newly trained Iraqi forces refused to fight. "It's hard to get a person in that culture to kill another person in that culture.'' But, he said, "If they want to be free, they have to be willing to die for it.'' Pianka said schools are still being built, water and sanitation systems are being installed and homes are being established. But the Iraqis are "sitting on the fence, and it's their fence.'' Maybe, he said, the Iraqis are not ready for self-governing.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

�Their ultimate fate is in their hands.� The people of Iraq need to understand this. It is up to them how this pans out. They see the schools and hospitals being built, water and electric are being restored, and new homes are being built. This is the easy part. The hard part is standing up to the insurgents who do not want a free state for the people of Iraq. Right now there is about 160,000 Troops in Iraq who are behind the people. Today and tomorrows NATO meetings will help bring more change. The countries in NATO have already agreed to help train military and police.

While there is still free will, there will be hate. Hate is just about everywhere. Whether it is religious beliefs, skin color, political stance, etc etc, you cannot hide from it. You can, however, defend yourself and your beliefs. The Islam that I know and have been told about is not that of these radical militants. They are destroying the name of �Allah� and the teachings that are held in the Qur�an. Just think for one second, I am not a scholar on the Qur�an, could these insurgents be what the prophet Mohammed was talking about?

I am not in anyway trying to discredit anyone�s beliefs or practicing of the Qur�an. As I have stated, I am in no way a scholar on this topic, however some things tend to be misunderstood. I too am learning everyday about the world we live in and the people that inhabit it. We need to put everything aside and look at humanity. Yes easier said than done, it has to start somewhere. We all need to breathe the same air, share the same sun, and relish in the fruits that God has put here for us.

Hopefully someone will get something out of this. I know I did.
To the Iraqi people I say congratultions! The world is behind you, it is up to you to take the initiative now and say, �We had enough!�

[edit on 28-6-2004 by TrickmastertricK]

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 01:45 PM
link   
if Iraq could be free then i will eat my shorts becouse this people have been at war so long that there kid have been at ware.

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Your Missing the point. Its comments like this (not directed towards you, but in general) that will not make this work. To many people are geared to this not working. I was one of them. Instead of confined rhetoric, why not give the Iraqi People and Government a chance to make up their minds for themselves. The government has made a step in taking the militia out by offering lower key members Amnesty. I do not whole heartedly agree with this, but, it's worth a shot. I they are willing to give up their weapons and support the New Government and turn in upper level Militia then the country will have a huge chance for democracy. I believe that Saddam and His key former government members being alive, still pumps fear in the common Iraqi people. Once they have been tried, convicted, and put to death, I believe a sense of clam and order will prevail...

Trick

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Saddams trial could take years........

Free from what? We have given a people not as socialy devoloped as we, a western style democracy, billions upon countless billions of dollars, and what do we have to show for it, nothing.

We put Saddam there in the first place, who is to say that we will not put another now ?

Deep

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Iraq is like any of the muslin countries around in the Middle East they share the same ancestry and beliefs, any body see any democracy around Iraq, no? Well that is how Iraq is going to be just like his surrounding neighbors. Sorry but at the end is going to be Muslin rule anyway, Bush can not change that fact, you can not turn Iraq into a Christian nation.

Bush is so conceded that he believed that going into Iraq was going to be a piece of cake, people of Iraq was going to receive US with open arm and turn their beliefs into christian, making bush feel like a god, and it back fire, the only reason Iraq was of mix religious denomination was because Sadam did not really have any particular beliefs.

new topics

top topics

join