It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I see dead people...with bug out bags

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 05:24 AM
link   
No surprise that almost everyone has so far posted exclusively about "sexy" disasters.

In U.K. perhaps the most common form of occurrence requiring a Bug Out Bag will be either flooding, or Mabel at the end of the road leaving the gas on and reducing six or so terraced houses to rubble.

Yes, it happens.

A bug out bag should be able to keep you going for up to 72 hours while you reach a place of safety. Hopefully in the case of one of the above you can get to your Bug Out Location (a friend's house in the same city; a hotel/ B&B; a relative; or an impromptu camping holiday).

What is more likely, a comet flattening your nation or a gas leak closing off your street?

Sorry it's not exciting or flash but then neither is prepping...

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 05:49 AM
link   
This thread makes me think of stories my grandma told me about when the russians invaded the town she lived in at the end of WW2.

The only choice she and her family had was to bug out into the forest. I'm sure being prepared for such an eventuallity can't hurt.

Although I beleive having just a pack itself isn't enough. In order for you to survive such a situation I think it would help tremendously if you trained in hiking, running and other skills such as firearms and camoflage or even things that sound simple such as starting a fire.
edit on 7-11-2010 by fedeykin because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 06:16 AM
link   
reply to post by oldschoolsuper star

I know we are somewhat like minded, I think that we just dissagree on the signaling part of a bugout bag.
I would love to stay put and not need a bugout bag...If your wanting to disappear and hide/survive in the woods, you will be taking several things with you, as you know.

I would have a small handheld crank radio for info...signaling would be out of the question ie. wistles and strobe lights. I wouldn't want anyone to know I was there. I am not wanting to be found...I would have to recon an area and then determine if I would make myself known to the people there, after observing them and seeing what I would be up against. My gear would be stashed and I wouldn't signal them from a distance...I would walk up to the damn front door.

You mentioned about learning things in the army and I agree with all you have said except for the above mentioned...Yes I also served USMC..for a lot more than 4 years years...I am thinking that you would want to treat a bugout with a bugout bag kinda like SERE school....wouldn't you agree? Did you go through that school?

Bugging out is not what I want or hope to do, it is just another thing to prep for....I know we all have our own thoughts and ideas on this matter...I hope and pray that we never have to find out who will be right and who will be wrong, with any of disagreements we have on this forum.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 06:31 AM
link   
reply to post by oldschoolsuper star

I never said to abandon the basics or anything like that...if you signal, you give away your position....that has nothing to do with knowing morse code or listing in on radio chatter, that you might pick up.

I am glad your sick of me...I hope your sick of me for a long, long, long time....because that means we will all be living very long lives....thanks for your service my brother in arms.
edit on 7-11-2010 by saltdog because: you switched to your

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 06:35 AM
link   
BOBs or ditch bags are not just for the Apocalypse you know. Just ask a pilot or a mariner. Now that Winter is upon us anyone in snow country should have a car full of supplies JIC.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nirgal
No surprise that almost everyone has so far posted exclusively about "sexy" disasters.

In U.K. perhaps the most common form of occurrence requiring a Bug Out Bag will be either flooding, or Mabel at the end of the road leaving the gas on and reducing six or so terraced houses to rubble.

Yes, it happens.

A bug out bag should be able to keep you going for up to 72 hours while you reach a place of safety. Hopefully in the case of one of the above you can get to your Bug Out Location (a friend's house in the same city; a hotel/ B&B; a relative; or an impromptu camping holiday).

What is more likely, a comet flattening your nation or a gas leak closing off your street?

Sorry it's not exciting or flash but then neither is prepping...

Good point. I was thinking about this.
Our disaster will be some sort of an outbreak of bed bugs, lice or an infectious disease that is highly contagious and immune to antibiotics. A super strain of virus or bug.

You will be in your bunker and it will not matter whether the person pounding on your door is your mother, your sister, your daughter or your son...if they are infected....you will not let them in.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
We are so dependent on modern conveniences we are not in control during an emergency.

Without transportation medicines and medical supplies will come to a halt. Most pharmacys carry a small supply of medicines, they rely on daily deliveries. For example if the pharmacy knows they use x number of meds a month for Mr. Jones it's in their system they figure this plus a liitle in stock. They do not stockpile meds for the simple fact they can have them delivered immediately from a warehouse. Look how many people order their supplies over the phone and it's delivered to their home. In case of wtshtf and transportaion stops so will the deliveries. Think of how many people are dependent on oxygen and will not get it. What happens when someones meds run out. If you are dependent on medication for your health and life, how is it possible for you to stock up? This is something to think about for you and your family.

Grocery stores stock for a short period because of lack of space. A lot of necessities like bread, milk and meat are delivered daily. Other food items are delivered as inventory is used. Go to a store before a weather event and the shelves are emptied immediately. What happens when the trucks don't run for weeks at a time. Starving people will do anything for food. It's necessary to stockpile food and then at least you will have the option of who to share it with.

We take for granted to turn on the faucet and we fill our glass with water. What will we do when the water stops flowing. Look at your water bill and see how much water your household uses in a month. Sure we use a lot for bathing, washing clothes and dishes we can cut down for drinking only but this will give you an idea of how much you use. Now think about toting a tenth of that amount to your home everyday from a creek, river or lake. Without a source of clean water nearby your chance of long term survival is in serious jeopardy.

Another great convenience is electricity, America is addicted to it. How many people literally cannot make it without a temperature controlled environment. I know people that cannot function without air conditioning, going from a air conditioned car to an air conditioned office is a task for them. Move the thermostat and the heat rises where we can be more confortable. When the electricity stops and the home fuel quits flowing how will people cope? What will they do for heat?

What I'm getting at is that most people take all this for granted and so do I but at the same time in the back of my mind I'm planning for the day the water stops, the power goes off and the delivery trucks set idle. Be prepared.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeenMyShare
reply to post by celticwarrior

You are mistaking the common man for the government! In many many cases those two groups are diametrically opposed. We have no say in what they do or do not do! Elections? What a farce. Many here would say we are at nearly the same risk as Iraq, Afghanistan and Iran from our own government. They have not put in place easier ways to enable marshal law for any reason that's good for us. Believe me when I tell you they do not have our best interests at heart.

Starred that SeenMyShare!

Too many people abroad don't realize how limited our input is to Washington; they tar all us Americans with the same brush, as if we had taken that sick bastard Stalin and painted all soviet citizens as despots in waiting.

celticwarrior must be a child to so over-generalize, either that or a complete fool - they are sometimes interchangeable.

Iraq was NOT the right place to attack; even "W" says that now; Afghanistan was - that's where AQ launched their attacks from.

I think celticwarrior is too young to have a functional brain suitable to comprehend a complex world.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by saltdog

Semper Fi my brother! I was Navy, but the day I don't honor a Marine is the day I am in the ground!

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
BOBs or ditch bags are not just for the Apocalypse you know. Just ask a pilot or a mariner. Now that Winter is upon us anyone in snow country should have a car full of supplies JIC.

You got that right; I and my girlfriend used my BOB (she used to make fun of me for preparing, lol - she doesn't now!) after a hurricane strike and we were trapped. BOB - it ain't just for the Apocalypse any more!

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Rede2go

True enough Rede2go.

I've had the pleasure of living without water and electricity for two weeks in 95+ degree weather. Me and my girlfriend (Stupid term since she's 55 and I'm 49 - sounds juvenile) took advantage of a sudden rain to strip off and grab the soap and take a GI shower in the back yard, behind her van where no one else could see us. We live out in the country. I never felt so good as to finally get clean in that heat. This was after hurricane Frances, and there wasn't a helluva lot left of the house after the previous hurricane two weeks before, when part of the house caved in.

I thought I'd seen some rough living, but three hurricanes in six weeks taught me a lesson I'll never forget.

I wonder how many city folk could weather that?

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Your right mydarkmessenger
It is juvenile, Id say you both hit the "Old Man & Old Lady" title status
j/k

I keep a B.O.B that carries the things I need most, Water, Fire, Light, Medical, food, Communication, I keep this in my truck or in my home, it has a few more things in it but has those main items, its a side carry bag and keeps me very light on the feet, its the one bag I would grab out of all of them if I had only limited time.
Now I also have a D.D.B. (Doom's Day Bag) this is the bag I will grab when its time to go to the retreat (when ever that will be?) this bag holds 2 weeks worth of food, extra cloths, medical kit, small gerber axe, large camel pack, MSR Whisperlite Stove and cookset, and a few other things. Its weighing in at about 80lbs, if Im able to drive or ride the motorcycle, then Ill be fine (even with the body armor) but if I have to hike then this kit will have to be rebuilt to fit the full aspect of the trip ahead.
I have 7 posiable ways out of town to my retreat, hopefully it never gets used for its true purpose, but it makes one hell of a nice Man Camp in the meantime

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   

The fact is, bugging out with a pack on your back just isn't going to work. Too many complications in the long run. You will die. The only real hope of long term shtf survival is in a home that you can defend, that's stocked with food, water, and has at least rudimentary self sufficiency capabilities, like a protected spot to garden, rainwater collection, etc.

I know this view just doesn't sound as fun, or exciting, but its just how it is.

Thing is though, while I agree with you...depending on the SHTF scenario, your original home may simply not be there, be unreachable, etc. If a natural disaster, the house could be taken out while you're away at work. So now what? (hence the bug out bag). Your home could be in the middle of an outbreak zone, quarantined, etc. Who knows? So then, you find a new home (and preferably one where you can have the company of others, watch each other's back, etc.)

Look, I think we all realize that even the badass ex-marine might easily buy it just by being in the wrong building at the wrong time, regardless of his preparations for a SHTF scenario. Even the one guy who lives out on his own survivalist ranch, could pick the wrong day to go to town for supplies, and blam! He's in ground zero of an A-bomb.

Regardless though, for some, it's a fun exercise. For others, it's hoped they'll never have to use it. I don't think anyone really WANTS such a thing to happen (at least not anyone who has important people, things, etc. to lose)...but that doesn't mean we can't at least try and take some steps.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

The fact is, bugging out with a pack on your back just isn't going to work. Too many complications in the long run. You will die. The only real hope of long term shtf survival is in a home that you can defend, that's stocked with food, water, and has at least rudimentary self sufficiency capabilities, like a protected spot to garden, rainwater collection, etc.

I know this view just doesn't sound as fun, or exciting, but its just how it is.

Thing is though, while I agree with you...depending on the SHTF scenario, your original home may simply not be there, be unreachable, etc. If a natural disaster, the house could be taken out while you're away at work. So now what? (hence the bug out bag). Your home could be in the middle of an outbreak zone, quarantined, etc. Who knows? So then, you find a new home (and preferably one where you can have the company of others, watch each other's back, etc.)

Look, I think we all realize that even the badass ex-marine might easily buy it just by being in the wrong building at the wrong time, regardless of his preparations for a SHTF scenario. Even the one guy who lives out on his own survivalist ranch, could pick the wrong day to go to town for supplies, and blam! He's in ground zero of an A-bomb.

Regardless though, for some, it's a fun exercise. For others, it's hoped they'll never have to use it. I don't think anyone really WANTS such a thing to happen (at least not anyone who has important people, things, etc. to lose)...but that doesn't mean we can't at least try and take some steps.

God, nobody in their right minds wants anything like this to happen, at least I sure don't again. Anyone who envisions days of glory as some kind of "Mad Max" is an idiot.

My significant other and I got thru our trials because we had a strong local community presence - no looting, no BS - plenty of men and women keeping things safe with weapons, and every one helping everyone else out. I took my turn guarding my neighbors, before the National Guard showed up. There is no substitute for an armed citizenry, and most importantly a community. We all knew each other and we all protected and helped and shared resources together.

But survival is a multi-faceted thing; a BOB is just supposed to buy you time. Time to get to a more secure place, or survive in-place while you are resqued.

Surviving means keeping ALL your options open, to adapt to the situation. There really is no "One Size Fits All" response to a crisis. Surviving means flexibility, adaptability.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Patrioitinsheepclothing
Your right mydarkmessenger
It is juvenile, Id say you both hit the "Old Man & Old Lady" title status
j/k

I keep a B.O.B that carries the things I need most, Water, Fire, Light, Medical, food, Communication, I keep this in my truck or in my home, it has a few more things in it but has those main items, its a side carry bag and keeps me very light on the feet, its the one bag I would grab out of all of them if I had only limited time.
Now I also have a D.D.B. (Doom's Day Bag) this is the bag I will grab when its time to go to the retreat (when ever that will be?) this bag holds 2 weeks worth of food, extra cloths, medical kit, small gerber axe, large camel pack, MSR Whisperlite Stove and cookset, and a few other things. Its weighing in at about 80lbs, if Im able to drive or ride the motorcycle, then Ill be fine (even with the body armor) but if I have to hike then this kit will have to be rebuilt to fit the full aspect of the trip ahead.
I have 7 posiable ways out of town to my retreat, hopefully it never gets used for its true purpose, but it makes one hell of a nice Man Camp in the meantime

Tell you what, you ain't lived till you're so dirty you strip in the backyard during a rain just to clean up. Of course, it did have advantages. My naked girlfriend all wet.. I am sure you can fill in the blanks, lol.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by kadyr80

While I do agree with your situational assessment;there is a place in preparedness for a "bug out bag". Unless your current shelter is destroyed or compromised your best bet for survival is to stay put! When you leave your home (to go to work, visit family, or even a quick trip to the grocery store) you should always have your bag with you in your car so you are prepared in the event disaster happens.Plan, Prepare, and stay vigilant!

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by kadyr80

Well my friend, that is your choice, but I just cannot agree.

It's all safe and nice, until a group of 20 Hells Angels come roaring down the street, looking for a good place, then your little fortress becomes theirs.

Best thing I could think of, and I've pondered this many of times... learn your bushcraft, not only survival, but true bushcraft. Learn the plants in your area, learn to tell a tree just by the look of the bark. Research your mushrooms, wild edibles, so you can comfortable call them by their real names.

Learn the best uses for wood, which ones burn hotter, longer, brighter. Spend a month out there, make a challenge of truly LIVING, not just surviving. Bring some razors and coffee and some booze, some cigars.

That is the best way, at least for a year, then you can come back and re-supply and check out how things are going in civilization.

But if you can't live in the wild, and only know how to survive, then you'll probably die.

Sincerely,

MP

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Quite simply put;

If you think youre all set, ready for a disaster...You have enough ammo, enough food and enough skills

YOURE DEAD.

Id like to think that I would be a "good guy" if i was in survival mode but i have a dark creeping feeling that if it were up to my family starving to death or taking from you and yours that youd probably be going hungry

I agree that it takes money and time to become proficient with your gun. You MUST fire the weapon to be proficient. You MUST know how to fix it if it breaks especially when it breaks while youre using it. I dont think you can get proficient with a gun by just holding it...

Im set up to bug-in...Ill exhaust my local resources before moving along...
\
Strangers are only to be nurtured if they are an asset not a liability

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by mindpurge
reply to post by kadyr80

It's all safe and nice, until a group of 20 Hells Angels come roaring down the street, looking for a good place, then your little fortress becomes theirs.

The good thing about people "roaring up" is that you can hear them coming...If youre in an area where that may become an issue, you need to plan for it...

As far as looking for a good place...In a certain kind of disaster you could potentially wrap your doors and windows with plastic and have some signs pre-made that say "FEMA DO NOT ENTER RADIOLOGICAL/BIOLOGICAL HAZARD" you could throw in some skull and crossbones or a radiation symbol for good measure...I know that if i go into "bad guy mode" and have to start doing raids for supplies, ill be steering very clear of suspect houses.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by BingeBob

Originally posted by mindpurge
reply to post by kadyr80

The good thing about people "roaring up" is that you can hear them coming...If youre in an area where that may become an issue, you need to plan for it...

As far as looking for a good place...In a certain kind of disaster you could potentially wrap your doors and windows with plastic and have some signs pre-made that say "FEMA DO NOT ENTER RADIOLOGICAL/BIOLOGICAL HAZARD" you could throw in some skull and crossbones or a radiation symbol for good measure...I know that if i go into "bad guy mode" and have to start doing raids for supplies, ill be steering very clear of suspect houses.

The "roaring" true, it's simply means lock yourself in your bunker from the inside, and pray, or get out alive while you still can. This isn't the movies, and family guys don't stand a chance in hell against well armed killers.

I'm not saying that's what you meant, I'm just putting it out there.

And for the "FEMA DO NOT ENTER RADIOLOGICAL/BIOLOGICAL HAZARD" ... probably a bad idea, very transparent, then you need to live with the worry of "they'll either bury us, or crater us", not something I'm very fond of.

MP

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join