It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obamas Divorce. What are the ramifications to the country/politics?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   
There is no law that states a President's personal business may directly or indirectly influence a nation. Whether you like him or not, a troubling marriage isn't any fun. ( speaking from experience ) Sucks yes...but does that change his thoughts or views, much less his decision making skills? Nope~

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by iamsupermanv2
Yea, it is their business, but to think it would have zero effect on his political career is ignorant.

I didn't SAY it would have zero effect and I don't THINK it would have zero effect. I said I don't see WHY it would.

It WOULD be spun, it WOULD hurt him.

I agree. People are mean and will use any means possible to hurt others. This is not news to me. I'm not as ignorant as you think.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Congratulations on single handedly trying to lower ATS to that of a tabloid... or even worse. When people buy a rag they know they are tabloid. Now some soul is going to wander on this site and see this.

If this is all you got, please go out and read some more sites. For the children....please.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Whereweheaded

No, but Clinton and Lewinsky sure did make a fuss.

I'm not saying it affects a politicians performance. What I'm saying is people will think it does. TPTB created a beast when they pushed us to think that everyone's personal life is our business. They only wanted us to turn on each other, and we have turned on them too.

Edit to add:

What person going through a divorce do you know that is worth a piss at his job? He can't focus. Not something we need out of a politician.
edit on 4-11-2010 by PayMeh because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Never having gone through a divorce, I can't speak to the magnitude of that.

But I have gone through two serious breakups. My life was not right for a little while. I was not excelling at my job as I normally do, I was not the same "me". I'd think a divorce would only magnitude that.

IF!!! this has any truth, and IF!!! it takes place before/if he goes for re-election, it will hurt how the public views him. Like I said, he doesn't have those other "it" factors to make up for not being a family man anymore, which is how it will be spun. Then it will only lead to "real" news sources being able to throw out the gay thing, and he looses.

I agree that IF!! any of this is true, he still has just as much a right to be President, but to think it would not effect him or any aspect of his job is not right. "Breaking up is hard toooo-oooo dooo"

If he was still a better candidate then his opponent yea I would for sure vote for him, but with reservations.But if he is a carbon copy of his opponent, as a responsible voter one would HAVE to take into consideration he would be a little distant at times. President or not, a divorce would weigh on his mind quite a bit.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by PayMeh

A divorce, as opposed to your " Clinton and Lewinsky sure did make a fuss. ", are completely different sides of the spectrum.. Clintons misdeeds were in the oval office, then he turned around and lied about it to the entire nation.

Where as Obama enduring a divorce, would be national news that all would be educated about, not something he would have to lie about?

And your statement about who could perform at work while enduring a divorce, um... I did. Yes it was tough, but even Obama knows how ( hopefully ), to separate business from personal. Otherwise, he shouldn't be in the Presidential seat?

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   

With all due respect, the issues that face a President on a day to day basis require more attention than any other job in the country. I'm sure a slip up on his part could have far greater consequences.

I agree that Clinton's deal was about lying in office. Being put in the middle of divorce opens a President up to a unique position of being vulnerable to coercion. It's all I'm saying.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by PayMeh

Vulnerable to coercion- Yeah, I'll give ya that.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by snusfanatic

I take the point that marital discord in the White House is nothing new, but you can't peg that one on Jefferson. He was a widower in his thirties long before he became President.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   
What do you mean by Obama is high on yahoo?

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
Congratulations on single handedly trying to lower ATS to that of a tabloid... or even worse. When people buy a rag they know they are tabloid. Now some soul is going to wander on this site and see this.

If this is all you got, please go out and read some more sites. For the children....please.

You don't think ATS is a tabloid now? Just look at your average thread. "I am an alien." or yet another picture of a ghost that turns out to be fly on the camera. This is hardly the worst thread. If you don't like a thread, I suggest you just skip it. Don't try to dictate what goes on here.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
As much as I would love to jump on the bandwagon and toss a couple of jabs at Obama, I must share that American Media, the publisher of The Globe, has filed for Chapter 11 restructuring.

Sales are down in print media so the headlines have to be hot in those grocery store Aisles.

www.americanmediainc.com...

Maybe just one jab.... Obama and Geithner living together in perfect harmony. Paul McCartney and Stevie Wonder would be proud.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by snusfanatic
reply to post by PayMeh

oh my god, thank you for recognizing that this is a thread about an unlikely hypothetical.
you win a star, seriously, thank you.

Wow and my talking about another completely hypothetical -batboy- did not mean that I got that? My first reply in this thread acknowledged this is about a completely UNLIKELY HYPOTHETICAL. Since it is not in the off topic section or your personal blog, I had more to say than just that but believe me, the point was clear. You read a salacious headline and wanted to discuss it. Why stop there? Michael Jackson is still secretly alive. Oh, he was also taken out by a hitman. Discuss.
Lyndsay Lohan may or may not be smuggling drugs into rehab. DISCUSS. Nevermind, that one is actually likely.
How about Clinton meets with Aliens at Rosewell. There were pictures and everything. DISCUSS.

Got your point crystal clear. You, along with many others on ATS, are apparently so threatened by Obama that the last week all the "legit" discussion has been about tabloud stories reporting that he is gay, crazy, bored, Kenyan, Indonesian, Half British, the Antichrist, Arab, etc. I guess for some silly reason, I had come to expect a higher calliber discussion on ATS. But you got a rumor off of a tabloid about Obama getting divorced with nothing to back up any of it and it seems worthy of discussion.

There is another way to say you want to discuss an "Unlikely hypothetical" that you try to present as a pseudo fact ("Remember Edwards blah blah blah") It is called making stuff up. If a story in "The Globe" really seems this interesting to you, how about doing some digging? Did it occur to you at all to see if there is any reason to even begin to consider discussing something from the Globe about Obama's love life?

To me it just looks like ATS has made its way to the bottom of the barrel when all the political threads are citing magazines that claim Elvis is still alive as sources for their very important issues about Obama and his love life.

If you just wanted to discuss the idea of divorce in the white house, it could have been interesting. This thread is clearly more about trying to link Obama to a story while pretending to want to discuss something even you admit is "UNLIKELY". Why discuss it then? I am sure divorce in the white house would certainly cause some issues with Obama's ability to focus personally and through all the noise that would erupt. But since we already know how this works, it still seems silly to discuss it hanging on a tabloid. Anyone that thinks Obama getting a divorce would be harder for him than getting caught cheating on his wife would might need to make that case to me. Not in this thread though. I am still holding out for a batboy thread before I get serious about politics.
edit on 11/4/10 by Curiousisall because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Curiousisall

and?

EDIT:

if you want to discuss what you and i both think would be a fairly interesting topic...what would happen if a divorce happened in the white house....we can do that.

the idea came to my mind, because i noticed that obama was trending on yahoo, and when i clicked on his name, the story that was trending was a divorce RUMOR.

that sparked this thread: what would happen if the obamas did get divorced.

if you want to 'divorce' this thread from obama go ahead. so far there's been little or no bashing of the guy on this thread at all. its mostly been about what would happen if the president got divorced.

sheesh.
edit on 4-11-2010 by snusfanatic because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

You mean people shouldn't be talking about ghosts and aliens on the paranormal or ufo threads?? wow.

The difference being that politics is politics. But tabloid style gossip on assumptions on a Presiden'ts marriage is not. It has been speculated about all the recent Presiden'ts marriages that they are heading for divorce. Ms. Obama is having a baby, they are getting divorced, Obama is having an affair. These have been speculated since he has been in office.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by 46ACE
Who gets the house???????
lol..

belated
Correct response for $200.00 is
" the republicans"...
lol

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

well this isn't a ufo or ghost thread, this is a political thread.

if the mods want to move it to 'highly-speculative' so it could be with This 2006 thread on a possible George Bush/Condi Rice Affair then i'm cool with that.

but at least try a simple search before you declare something a "new low"

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by snusfanatic

Please forgive me. You have to understand a few things. All ATS has had on its front page lately are RUMORS about Obama. None of them are even about anything to do with politics. It is getting tired. The other thing that I really hope you will understand is that I have a bad habbit of reading the OP of the threads I click on. Some quotes that stuck out at me.

Originally posted by snusfanatic
This story seems to be trending unusually strong, for a simple rumor.

Granted much of this comes from tabloids, but so did the John Edwards scandal.

Could this be why Obama has been known to say more then once that he'd rather be a 'good one termer' then a 'failed two termer?' I can't remember Clinton or Bush, exposing any virtue in being a one term president.

Rumor, yes. But possible. And something which, if true, would have serious ripple effects imo.

So if you want to divorce your premise from Obama, you might need a new thread. The OP clearly establishes the "I just read this and it might not be true but IT MOST LIKELY IS even though I admit it might not be, LET ME REINFORCE WHY IT MIGHT BE, before I acknowledge it might not be, I just want to say again though, IT PROBABLY IS - EDWARDS EDWARDS EDWARDS - Things OBAMA SAID"

I hope you can see what I see.
edit on 11/4/10 by Curiousisall because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Curiousisall

Deal. I'll link to a BTS thread on this subject when I write it. It'll be a couple hours though.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join