It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Revealed that U.S. authorities have carried out systematic surveillance of Norwegian citizens

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Revealed that U.S. authorities have carried out systematic surveillance of Norwegian citizens with the help of former employees of the police and military.

translate.google.com

U.S. confirms monitoring, and believes that Norwegian authorities were informed. But neither the Foreign Ministry or the Justice Department will confirm that the known activities.
Monitoring was led by a local law at the American Embassy in Oslo.
After the TV 2 directed the spotlight on intelligence, operations were moved to an unknown address. The activities should have lasted at least ten years and hundreds of Norwegians in the database SIMAS.
Source: TV 2
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 4-11-2010 by Vicodin because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Minister: - We need more answers from the U.S.

Foreign Minister supports Storberget in his demands for a full investigation of the case.

TV 2 News revealed Wednesday that American authorities have been extensive monitoring of the Norwegians from a room in Oslo. According to the U.S., the Norwegian authorities informed about this.

However, both Foreign Minister and Justice Minister Knut Storberget claims not to have known about these activities.

Jensen: - The case appears very serious

For answers
Wednesday afternoon, after it became known that the MFA TV 2 work on it, took the Ministry contacted the U.S. Embassy for a meeting. Here, the embassy said the Foreign Ministry asked to explain how the Norwegian authorities had been informed of the security program and what kind of business it is all about.

But the Foreign Ministry did not have the answers they wanted.

The Foreign Minister met with reporters Thursday morning.

translate.google.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Link

He does not want to speculate about whether there may be a case of unlawful surveillance in Norwegian soil.

- If the Norwegian laws are broken, it is always serious. This is so serious allegations that we are going to have to take it seriously. Now it is important that the Minister of Justice is doing what he has announced: to map out what the concerned police authorities have known in this matter, "he added.

- Who should have been informed about this?

- There is no justice minister must provide an assessment of when he has been in contact with law enforcement authorities under him.

Justice Minister Knut Storberget, according to Minister inform the Parliament about what's happened.

edit on 4-11-2010 by Vicodin because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 07:41 AM
link   
www.norwaynews.com...

article: The head of Norwegian intelligence agency PST (Politiets sikkerhetstjeneste) told Norwegian Broadcasting (NRK) on Thursday that foreign countries are "spying more on us now than during the Cold War." Janne Kristiansen, who took over the top PST post last fall, and her colleagues in other state security agencies are on guard and consider the spying a major threat. "There's a lot of interest in Norway," Kristiansen told NRK. The nature of the top PST job calls normally calls for secrecy, but Kristiansen clearly wants to warn Norwegian private businesses, politicians and government agencies of the jump in spying activity.

PST information, according to NRK, indicates the spying is mostly directed against political leaders in positions of power, the military and private companies. The spies reportedly want access to high technology, confidential NATO information and background into important decision-making. Kristiansen, a highly regarded defense attorney before taking on the PST job, wouldn't say which countries are involved in the spying activity. She noted, however, that "distances have become shorter between countries, and new countries are coming forward." Officials at Norway's national security agency (NSM, Nasjonal sikkerhetsmyndighet) have reported a big jump in dataangrep (computer attacks) on the systems of companies and public institutions. NSM watches Internet traffic closely to try to ward off attacks. Christophe Birkeland, a division director at NSM, said direct attacks are made to enter computer systems and steal information stored on them. "The biggest threat we face today is the threat tied to spying," he said. Newspaper Aftenposten has reported nearly 5,000 such attacks in the last year, up 55 percent from the year before. The Defense Ministry's own security agency reports being attacked every day. "We have indications that foreign powers are behind these attacks," Major Ivar Kjærem told NRK.

It looks like its not just the US either, 19 countries spying on them!!!! Whats so interesting about Norway? Or are we all spying on each other all the time? I think ; yes.
edit on 4-11-2010 by Lagrimas because: addition

edit on 4-11-2010 by Lagrimas because: improvement

edit on 4-11-2010 by Lagrimas because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-11-2010 by Lagrimas because: finish

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Another poster basicly stole my thunder. We are all spying on each other. Norway just happened to catch the spying.
Look at the Russians that were outed in the US. They returned to Russia to a heros welcome. We exchanged for prisoners that Russia was holding.

I believe that we were fully aware of the Russian spies and only picked them up for the exchange of prisoners.

Imagine how embedded the Chinese spies are.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 07:55 AM
link   
A breach of the law

Bjorn Erik Thon, director of the Data Inspectorate, not like what is found.

- Such a register is a violation of the Privacy Act. Here, the U.S. government apparently made a register of its discretion, "said Thon to VG Nett.

He points out that under Norwegian law to have access to the registers where they are registered.

- The law is clear. Are you registered somewhere, you should have access. But here it does not look like they have been close to giving people the opportunity to know that they are registered, or to correct what's there. Here there are many questions that one must endeavor to answer.

He reacts strongly that it's built up an investigation team that are manned by Norwegian people who work directly for the U.S. embassy in Norway.

- I have never encountered anything like it. To point out potential criminals of people and communities is the police's job. When the police do this job, you have a number of legal security things that are completely set aside when the embassy itself does this job without that there is a hint of openness around it.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 07:56 AM
link   
crap, don't you know you got some hot babes?

how do you know it's not just voyeur innocent peeking?

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 08:00 AM
link   
To be honest I kind of laughed when they said anytime Norwegian laws are broken it's serious. I hate to sound like an elitist but I'm sure I'm not the only one rolling my eyes. Like this ==>

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Vicodin

Maybe they are initiating a surveillance program designed for use in the US but are testing it on Norwegians
a) because they can and b) because Americans would catch on too quickly since there's no where to hide the program/equipment etc.

They could be monitoring HAARP and everything that happens in relation to IT and people are just thinking US is watching the people of Norway.

They could be watching something else up there like ET activity near the poles. If ET bases are here on earth I think many of them are bound to be in these regions - People in the know might be those living in the farthest towns north on the planet. I have looked up a few of them ...some unusual high levels of airport traffic, considering the remoteness and the temperatures, an American University is there...Check out towns of Svalbard, Hammerfest, Longyearburg.

The founder of the Rosicrucians happened to visit that region frequently...someone else who was tight with Walt Disney in the 40's or 50's ....when I think of who it was...anyway some really interesting tidbits about those towns if you look into them. I think the ET are submerged off the coastlines (with permission) up in these regions. And this is where we, the US and everyone else that knows they are there, connect with them... undetected for the most part... If they did buzz the White House in the 40's and a secret pact was made where we get technology as a trade off for a few cows...where are they hiding out? and might not HAARP be a part of the technology we traded for?

I don't know.... these are just thoughts coming and going.
edit on 4-11-2010 by rusethorcain because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by fooks
crap, don't you know you got some hot babes?

how do you know it's not just voyeur innocent peeking?

Or it could be this!

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 06:21 AM
link   

U.S. accused of monitoring in Denmark

A U.S. unit has secretly monitored the activities around the U.S. embassy in Denmark, according to Danish TV 2

It says a former employee of the monitoring device to the TV 2 NEWS. According to the source, the device has at least 14 people in several years, patrolled by the U.S. Marine Corps Department of Østerbro in Copenhagen and shall also be followed for suspicious people who walk near the embassy.

All the people in this unit should have been cleared at the highest level of the Danish intelligence service, according to the channel.

When the AP contact the U.S. Embassy in Copenhagen on Friday morning said that they currently do not wish to comment on the allegations.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 06:22 AM
link   
This is a pretty big story, BUMP.

Should be on the front page.

US Embassy in Surveillance Scandal

“I have never encountered anything like this before. I think it is extremely serious [both] that this type of thing is happening on Norwegian soil, and that it is Norwegian citizens who are engaged in this type of business. We also regard it as a breach of the Data Protection Act.”
The Centre Party’s (SV) Hallgeir Langeland MP, a member of Parliament’s Standing Committee on Scrutiny and Constitutional Affairs, is outraged.
“I have never heard about this. It is scandalous, not least because the American Embassy is involved. It is also disgraceful that the PST has known about this, without informing us,” he says.

SDUs (Surveillance Detection Units) and What They Do

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Source

The news has clear parallels to the monitoring issue in this country, where TV2 Wednesday revealed that the U.S. has been involved in monitoring the Norwegians for nearly ten years.

Hundreds of Norwegians may have been registered in the U.S. terrorist register based on the information the secret group has been included.

There is still controversy about who knew what, among the Norwegian authorities. The U.S. State Department claims that this has happened, in consultation with the Norwegian authorities, but Justice Minister Knut Storberget believes his side that he never informed.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 06:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Vicodin

So the Danes too huh?

I hope this ends up snowballing into Europe - we all know they are spying everywhere they can... and with all the recent terror threats in Europe involved with Embassies etc... and of course the rioting.

The Scandinavians are leading the charge against illegal state sponsored spying by the U.S. - I am sure Russia is following this... getting ready to land the elbow from the top rope.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Monitoring Unit at the U.S. Embassy is directed not against Norway or Norwegians and does not engage in intelligence, "said embassy spokesman Timothy Moore.

TV2's disclosure that the U.S. embassy has monitored and recorded 'suspicious' Norwegians, has created strong reactions in Norway. Police in Østfold to investigate to see if the monitoring group has done nothing illegal.

Now the embassy is trying to defunct surveillance.

- Monitoring Unit is directed not against Norway or Norwegian citizens. It is only a means to detect suspicious activity near the embassy and embassy staff, in cooperation with the host country responsible for the safety of embassy spokesman Timothy Moore writes in an official statement that AP has received.

Who monitoring shall be oriented toward, if not Norwegian citizens, he writes not.

NTB says that ordinary citizens have nothing to fear. Nor have those who have demonstrated against the United States, "he said.

Access to police databases

Today, Aftenposten wrote, referring to several key sources, that the monitoring group, including information obtained from the police's own records and databases.

Moore's assertion is also in sharp contrast to the TV2 sources explained. According to them the hundreds of Norwegians have ended up in the U.S. terror-Register called SIMAS (Security Incident Management Analysis System).

Visa Applications, physical characteristics, names of parents and home address are among the information that should have been saved.

Sorry

- We regret that a provocative and inaccurate report on the State Department's security program has caused concern and anxiety among our friends, "the statement from Timothy Moore.

He writes that the SDU-monitoring group was established to detect hostile surveillance of U.S. embassies. The reason is the bomb attacks against U.S. embassies in Nairobi and Dar-es-Salaam in 1998.

- In many cases it has been shown that such attacks are carefully planned. The same people came several times to take pictures and observe in advance. It is such activities that concern us. We'll see who looks at us, "he said.

Source

10 years with "observing" and our politicians did not know? we have former head of police taking pictures working for them. and when TV2 asked some of them why they where taking pictures, they answered "find that out on your own.."

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   
TV 2 revealed Wednesday that American authorities have carried out extensive intelligence from offices in Oslo. One of those who have worked in the group is 63-year-old Gunnar Tveit. He is a former police department of the Oslo Police District's Operational Coordination Section. Tveit has also held a management position in emergency squad (called Delta). He worked at the Oslo Police District from 1978 to 2004.

TV 2 in October, took contact with Tveit to hear what he would say about working for U.S. authorities. But 63-year-old was uncooperative. Below is the dialogue as it fell between Tveit and TV2's reporters.

Hello.

Hello.

Is Gunnar Tveit?

Where are you from?

We come from TV 2

I do not have to talk to you about, I do.

You do not have to talk to us about?

No. Absolutely not.

We have some photos that we would like to have shown up.

It is not news (he waves his hands)

Are you the one who has a history in the police?

You, I have not ... I will not comment on anything. Please be so kind as to walk again.

But it is somewhat important that we talk to you now, because we have followed up a year's time. On what you've worked with.

Yes, but that is - you do not get me to talk about it.

But who do I go to then?

No, you must find out for yourself.

Who do you work for, Tveit?

No, I do not say anything about.

There is a point that you can see the pictures we have here ..

Yes, sorry. Please go.

For what we have .. But you Tveit ..

Please.

Yes.

Yes .. You have nothing to get .. So you can not come to me to ask about anything.

We can be allowed to ask ...

Yes, but then rejects me and then I say be so kind as to go.

And so I ask, why are you shooting demonstrators in Oslo?

Yes, that's my business.

It's your business?

Yes, and it does not have anything with you.

Do you know ..?

No. Has nothing to talk about. Has nothing to talk about.

We followed up this door here ..

Yes, that is, I do not have anything to say about me ..

But who are you working for, because then we would like to talk with your boss?

Yes, there you have to figure it out yourself.

We know who you work for.

Yes, but then you have .. Is it a problem then? So I do not .. I do not have to comment anything about this.

But Tveit, if we now make a larger report on TV 2 in which we use your name and tell what you do and who you work for. Is not there a point that helps to shed light on this issue the best?

No. I do not. I do not.

But is that because it's a secret that you work with, so you are not allowed to speak up?

No. But I have no opportunity to comment at all .. No. .. So please accept it.

Yes, that is. We need it. But you also know that it's our job to come here å.

Yes, yes, the ..

submit to you that we have ..

Yes, yes, yes ..

so you can ...

Yes, yes, yes ..

that you get a chance ..

Yes, yes, yes ...

For this is an attempt for us to create balance. It's your right to give a response.

Yes, yes. Yes. Yes, I am aware of it. But please accept it now.

Yes. Would you like to have my name and phone number, so you can call me up if you get a different opinion?

I think I probably know who you are.

You have probably seen me before.

Yes ..

Okay, yes .. All right.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Former NCIS-state had a key to monitoring local

Ivar Follestad refuses to have been gathering intelligence. But TV 2 has photos showing that the former NCIS-top locks into the building where the activity took place.

TV 2 revealed Wednesday night that the U.S. secretly has built up an intelligence group to systematically monitor the Norwegians. TV 2 has identified many of the total of 15-20 people who have worked for the Americans.

One of these is one of the leading ID experts who played a key role in the group. Ivar Follestad (70) was a former police department in the NCIS. He has been obvious that he has worked at the U.S. Embassy, but not that he has had connection with the monitoring team. TV 2 observed him during a demonstration during a state visit from Russia. There he observed the demonstrators, before he entered the U.S. Embassy

Does not want to talk

TV 2 has also observed him in the Commerce Building in Oslo where the U.S. had placed its secret intelligence organization SDU.

This would Follestad not say anything about when he was confronted by TV 2

- Our information indicates that you have been sitting on the embassy and analyzed and processed the material SDU among others gathered on the basis of this office.

- Yes. Eehh. So. No, I can not believe, responds Follestad.

- Have you ever been behind that door?

- I can not believe, he replied again.

- You can not believe it?

- I do not know and I'd rather not know anything about anything else my little narrow area, which was simply to keep in touch with the police in connection with traffic offenses, among other things, "said Follestad.

Own key to the place!

But TV 2 has pictures of Follestad - as with its own key ring - locking in the Merchant Building. Follestad is probably the very first to be called in for questioning after the Public Prosecutor has now decided to investigate the surveillance case.

When TV 2 on a new contact with Ivar Follestad Friday, he did not want to say anything more about his relationship to the activities at the U.S. Embassy.

"Thanks, but now I'm just sorry that I have all opened their mouths. I apologize that I now close my hero. Regards. I. Follestad "

The management of the Oslo police said they have known to parts of the activities of the intelligence group, but that they did not know the group name or address.

But TV2 know that high up in the police management has also been suspected that the monitoring group utilized an office near the embassy - but this was therefore never checked out. Now, the Office of the Attorney General to find out why.

Below you can see the entire confrontation between TV2's reporters and the former Criminal Police chief:

- Good day.

- Hi. We are Asbjørn Olsen and Jens Nørve from TV 2

- What do you want with me?

- We have seen some of the activities of former police officers, who work for the American Embassy. We have a picture of you where you are coming out of the Commerce building ..

- Yes, there's not?

- No. 60 You are so be sure to know?

- Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes?

- And in this building so is this door here. And I think quite certain that you have been behind this door ..

- Yes, no. I. Eeeh .. No, honestly - I have stopped at the embassy for a long time ago, and I find that I do not feel like å.

- We came up from home to work a few mornings, and when did you go?

- Did you?

- Yes ... My colleague Jens?

- Yes .. Good day, good day (greeting Jens again)

- And when you went into the embassy ..

- Yes.

- Twice we have followed you into the embassy. In the spring.

- Yes. Yes, I have to say I was working inside the embassy. Openly investigating.

- But until recently, when?

- Yes .. Eee. I was the 70 years on 26 July this year. And then you get fired, I kept on saying. Simple and easy.

- But have you ever had a relationship with the people who work here? (Shows pictures of the door to the SDU group)

- I have not. I have not .. .. I know some police officers earlier .. They have .. This .. I do not know and I'd rather not know anything about anything other than my little narrow area which was simply to keep in touch with ... in connection with traffic offenses, among other things ..

- Yes, we know you have worked long in the police. But have you ever been behind that door?

- No, I can not believe.

- You can not believe it?

- No, I can not believe it.

- You have not been behind this door?

- I have not been behind the door. It .. No. .. It is an area that I have not idea. Honestly.

- But why, you get the more out of this door ..

- I have .. Yes .. I have well ...

- I think you've been visiting here.

- I can not remember the case. I can ...

- You have lots of colleagues who work here.

- Yes, I may have it ... Behind the ...

- Yes.

- Yeah.

- Yes, there is something called a Surveillance Detection Unit .. Do you know it?

- SDU, yes. It's all embassies in the world. Yes. Yeah, so .. I know about.

- Yes, you know about it?

- Yes, I know the expression, yes. I do. And of course - all the embassies have it all over the world.

- Yes, but if you work with investigations .. and is a former police officer. Is it known to you that SDU live here? It can not be, Follestad.

- Yes, but listen to me. So .. It .. There is very limited .. Very limited work areas. Not least among the Americans. It .. You will .. There is something called a need to know basis. And I have followed for many years and it is fine and easy.

- But you stand here and say that you have not been behind the door?

- Yes, I can not imagine it.

- No, but you can not rule it?

- Eeehh .. No, of course I can not - I can not imagine it. I am an old man. The memory is still excellent, but ...

- However, our information indicates that you have been sitting on the embassy and analyzed and processed the material SDU among others gathered on the basis of this office.

- Yes. Eehh. So. But it .. hehe. No, I can not believe I .. I can not believe it.

- Gunnar Tveit, do you know him?

- It is an Oslo police it?

- Yes. You know him?

- Yes, I know who he is.

- You know who he is?

- Yeah, so ...

- Have you had any contact with him during the last two years? You have been the pensioners both.

- Yes, I have to have done. I have certainly been. Yes ...

- In this building here?

- No, I can not believe .. exclude. I must be able to exclude.

- Do you rule?

- Yes, I must be able to exclude.

- You seem a little vague, Follestad. We believe the more that when you come out of this building, then you know you've been here. We are pretty confident.

- Is it ¿Is it up? Is it where .. somehow the door is?

- Are there unknown to you or?

- Yes, at least .... Yes, I must repeat words .. You can call me vague

- But you remember the way about what you did .. this is two days before Obama came to Oslo, you're going out of the building trade ...

- Does the log?

- No, but I remember what I do if I come out from a building ..

- Do you?

- Yes, I do ..

- So long afterwards?

- I think I would remember it in 10 years if I come .. Yes, building, date. Who at the embassy has been your superiors?

- It's security chief.

- It's security chief.

- RSO. Yes (abbreviation security chief at the embassy, ed. Anmrk). He can .. Have you talked to him? It must be the easiest ¿

- Yes, we must therefore, so ..

-Do you know the activity of the SDU unit here in Norway? And how they have worked?

- No, it is said that need to know basis. It .. it is very .. It's really nice to Americans.

- So you have not had anything with SDU unit to do?

- No, I have not. I have worked, as I said, inside the Embassy .. and where .. my oppaver there.

- But what have you done inside the embassy, you can say that? You say traffic offenses ..

- Yes, no, that is .. it's common it .. If it happens .. Sometimes the intrusion of Americans .. and then we help them with filling out forms etc.. Contacting the police. Ensures that they might get a little extra service .. It is not always what you get in the Oslo days, when it comes to that sort .. It is thus insignificant .. It happens sometimes that Norwegians do something gærnt. So .. staff at the embassy do something gærnt. Then it's sort of my job to talk to them and hear what has happened, etc.

- Do you work with Johnson even when inside the embassy?

- Who?

- Olaf Johan Johansen.

- Yes, I know he who is, of course. It's an old colleague, too.

- And you've probably also been colleagues in the embassy?

- Yes, it was him ..

- He hired you?

- Yes, not hired me, but the hint that now I should be retired. Yes, I think you should talk to the security officer at the embassy .. It seems to me. He is an exceptionally sympathetic man.

- It was Mills who he hired you maybe?

- Mills was alright.

- What would you say if we go out on TV 2 news and claim that you have been a part of this system with SDU?

- Yes, yes, that is, it can (shrugs) do what you want with it. What can I say? I say that I've talked to you about now.

- So what is wrong if we say it?

- Yes. I think personally that it is wrong .. Speak with the security officer.

- Yes, we should. We take a small round now.

- Good luck with the case.

Source

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 08:29 AM
link   

U.S. surveillance in Sweden

Source

There have been monitoring the U.S. embassy in Stockholm of the same type as in Norway, "Sweden's Justice Minister Beatrice Ask.

After contact between the Embassy and the Swedish security police Sapo it is confirmed that it has been going undercover at the embassy and other places in Stockholm where the embassy has had business, "said Ask.

It should be a matter of monitoring of the same type as the U.S. embassy in Oslo

A so-called Surveillance Detection Unit (SDU), which is the name of the monitoring group that is revealed in Oslo, will also be active for the American Embassy in Berlin, writes the Frankfurter Rundschau, according to TV 2

Sources have spoken to the newspaper, confirms that such a monitoring group operates in Germany from Berlin. The group will consist of both German and American security experts.
The mandate is to monitor suspicious persons in the vicinity of buildings with U.S. interests, including the embassy near the Brandenburg Gate.

A spokesman for the interior ministry in Berlin told the Frankfurter Rundschau that the Ministry does not have any knowledge of the existence of such a monitoring group.

A spokeswoman for the American Embassy in Berlin said that the embassy can not comment on the allegations from the newspaper.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 08:35 AM
link   

PST had to stop the U.S. from offense
Security struggled to control the Americans on Norwegian soil

Fight against Great Power: The former bosses PST Per Sefland (top right) and Arnstein Øverkil says that the U.S. has had a tendency to take themselves a little too much to fix.

(AP) U.S. embassy in Norway to have repeatedly expressed desire for more control and monitoring than Norwegian law allows them.

This was confirmed by several sources that AP has been in contact with.

The revelation that several former Norwegian police and defense personnel in ten years have watched hundreds of Norwegians on behalf of Americans, has resulted in the Minister of Justice Knut Storberget has requested a full report on who knew what about the secret surveillance group.

But the U.S. is trying to stretch the elastic a bit longer than they have occasion is nothing new, confirms several previous commanders PST AP has talked with.

They tell of a great power that has had a tendency to take themselves a little too well at home in Norway.

- Had a need for more control than they could get

Arnstein Øverkil, pst manager in 2003 and 2004, says he is among those who could be big surprise when TV2 news Wednesday, disclosing that former intelligence workers in Norway for ten years has monitored the Norwegians on behalf of the United States.

He says that he pst manager constantly had to remind the United States about what they could do and not do in Norway.

- We have had to remind them of the authority who have power in a small country like Norway. They tended to take ten more to fix than they had the opportunity, "said Øverkil.
He does not want to elaborate further.

- It's not that I do not want excuses Øverkil.

- Did the U.S. need more control than they could within the Norwegian rules?

- Yes, I can say. It was difficult to control Americans. But every time they came close to doing something that was contrary to Norwegian law, we made them aware of it.

- These are sturdy fellows

He reacted with disbelief when he heard that former PST employees should have monitored the Norwegians on behalf of the United States.

- I was astonished. These are guys who I know as sturdy and reliable, "said Øverkil.

In hindsight, he wishes that he reacted when he was several years ago was aware that former employees had taken the security works at the American embassy in Norway.

- I thought just not over it. I'm very disappointed now in retrospect. I should have been more curious.

- Had it been necessary for you to monitor the Norwegians to another state after you retired you?

- It would have been unimaginable. That earlier pst employees should have done this is very, very seriously. There is no doubt about that. Monitoring someone is one thing. To do so on behalf of another country is in conflict with Norwegian rules and even punishable.

- The United States announced increased security measures

Per Sefland set as PST-chief from 1997 to 2004. He says that the U.S. has been terrified of terrorist attacks against the U.S. embassy in Norway - and rightly so, according Sefland.

- The United States has felt very vulnerable after ambassadesprengningene in the world. That view has shared PST. The Americans had at some point, I do not remember when, the need to secure more attacks from the outside and increased observation in the embassy area. There we were informed, "said Sefland to VG Nett.

He denies, however, that they were authorized to go beyond the Norwegian laws.

- The agreement was that it was the police who would take care of further investigation, as I remember. There was never any doubt that it would happen within the Norwegian laws and regulations, and there was never talk about the Embassy should investigate this yourself, says Sefland.

The embassy began making increasingly to detect suspected persons, vehicles and activity around the embassy.

- But the agreement was, as I understood it, that suspicious objects and persons should be reported to the police for further investigation there, says Sefland.

Acting Chief PST-Roger Berg confirmed to NRK that he has experienced the same problem even in the face of the American Embassy.

- PST has several times felt the need to remind the embassy about what powers they have in Norway, "Berg told NRK.

He does not want to elaborate on this to the AP.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   

repeatedly expressed desire for more control and monitoring than Norwegian law allows them.

Typical American Intelligences

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join