It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Latinos abandoned by American politicians

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Article

The title of the thread comes from the article, not my own words.

Republicans launched a full scale attack on Latinos during this election, but Democrats aren’t seen as much better by the growing minority group.
According to some of the vicious anti-immigrant ads during the midterm election campaign, there is a war brewing in America. Illegal immigrants are the enemy and life as you know it is the target.
Reacting to the anti-immigration mood in the country, Republicans are stepping up their war on illegal immigration by stoking voters’ fears.

Democrats also used Spanish language ads to target Latino voters, but an increase in deportations and a lack of progress on immigration reform has many questioning the motives of Democrats as well. The hypocrisy of US politicians saying one thing but doing another is not lost on Ron Gochez, a community organizer.

Feeling abandoned and demonized by the politicians they elected, Latinos are growing disillusioned about politics in general.

Latino voters are growing in numbers, but for the moment, the feeling in the Latino community remains that politicians don’t care.
“Here we have what we call a two party dictatorship. It’s an electoral dictatorship that’s a two headed beast that represents the same elitist group,” said Gochez.

It is the hypocrisy by the politicians that is both a source of frustration for Latino voters, and inspiration to rise up and stand up to the forces that oppress them. After all, revolution and social mobilization is in the blood of this growing population of Americans.

I wonder how the illegal immigration issue is going to go now. Alot of the republicans seem to have taken a hard-stance on this issue, and they definantly have gained alot on November 2nd. Maybe there will be a massive crackdown on illegals soon?

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Nothing will change. The GOP simply does not have the power to enact any legislation on a national level to enforce immigration control. The Democrats can still block any House legislation with their Senate majority, and if all else fails, Obama can veto it. Additionally, all of the law enforcement arms of government fall under the executive branch, which, of course, is lead by the president, so the GOP will have no influence there, either.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Politicians aren't abandoning Latinos!

Immigrants come to the United States for what reason?

To live the American to live the American dream, assimilate themselves to the American way and to eventually become American citizens.

The thing about these illegal immigrants is that they have the mindset of "It's all about me." They need to face the fact that it's not all about them.

They come here to sponge off the governments social programs and then not pay taxes on top of this.

If a Latino wants to be heard, illegal or not, then they need to quit crying "racial profiling" every time a politician wants to do something about illegal immigrants and join the efforts to put a stop to what has really become a joke.

American politicians aren't abandoning Latinos. Latinos are abandoning the American dream.
edit on 3/11/10 by Intelearthling because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   
I fail to see how deportations of illegal immigrants increasing, or addressing the illegal immigration problem is akin to abandoning the Hispanic community.

Just another crap biased article that assumes all of us Hispanic immigrants are supposed to feel one way about this issue, and only one way.

I find it insulting to be honest.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Latinos you have to define that term.

Many of the 3, 4, 5,+ generation Latinos don't like or want illegals in the US any more then non Latinos.
Many of these Latino citizens find that when they apply for jobs they are offered lower pay and are classed as cheap labor.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   
its all a crock. The Latinos were used in an attempt to keep the democratic incumbents in power. Without a power change, you do not have to buy off the newly elected.

The article fails to mention the brewing insanity and in-sustainability of giving food stamps, education, healthcare, and voting rights to those that do not pay taxes that pay for these services! They are taking from the system without putting anything into.

After graduation, I applied for unemployment. But since I was working as a student I was ineligible. Ok... fine. However, my reviewer asked me if I was an immigrant or Latino. I asked, why should that matter? He replied, if I were Latino, he would be able to pull strings!

Seems like racism to me. So much the Civil Rights movement!

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   
I'm an immigrant myself(Spanish is my first language). Still not yet a citizen. I don't think illegals should be allowed to benefit from the system. We should do with illegals what everyone else does and kick them out. And this idea of non-citizens being able to vote is ridiculous to me.

What would stop the Chinese, or the Russians or Iran from rigging elections in their favor if we just let anyone in the world do whatever the hell they wanted the second they stepped foot on American soil?

No thanks. I want to vote, I really do, but I'm not willing to sacrifice the voices of my fellow Americans to get there a little faster.
edit on 3-11-2010 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

My wife works with a girl born in Mexico and she speaks perfect English as well as Spanish. Her hair is dark as well as her features. She is here legally. Here's the kicker. She refuses to be identified as Latino. She wants people to think she's from the Phillipines.

The thing about the article indicates the Latino community is feeling abandoned. Why are they feeling this way? Is it a complex or the awareness that they aren't able to conform to the "American" way of life?

Here's how it is in America. The Latinos stick together and refuse to turn anyone who is doing something illegal because they feel that all they have is themselves.

The Black community sticks together and refuse to co-operate with authorities when one of "theirs" have broken the law in one way or another.

The White community, on the other hand, won'tt stick together and will turn one of "theirs" in to law enforcement in a heartbeat over anything. This is a good thing. Why? Because White people aren't going to stand for troublemakers even if they are the same skin color. The Blacks and the Latinos won't do this. Not all the time. They feel targeted therefore they must protect their own even if their own are criminals. Whites will turn someone in because they are a criminal, even if it is one of their own.

This is the difference between these three groups or from my obsevations, this is what I see.
edit on 3/11/10 by Intelearthling because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

I hope you're kidding. Why would Latinos be "abandoned"? What issues affect Latino America citizens that don't affect all other Americans? This notion that pressure groups should receive treatment/government resources different from groups is why this country is being fractured, why we're broke and why our political system is corrupt.

Why should Latino "issues" be any different than Irish or Asian issues. To the extent that Latinos feel that they should receive special treatment from any government entity is suggestive of an inability of Latinos to succeed in society absent special treatment and that is something I find offensive.

As it relates to illegal immigration, it has nothing to do with Latino Americans. Illegal immigration is a law enforcement issue. To the extent that Mexicans are breaking a law has nothing to do with Latino Americans. The law is the law and the law should not discriminate. The fact is that Latinos are getting special treatment by the federal government being unwilling to enforce a law that would impact Mexicans. That failure impacts every American, hence the government's failure to enforce existing immigration law negatively impacts all Americans.

Define "abandoned" in the context you are using it. Does being abandoned mean that Latinos are not getting the spiff they think they deserve? They don't deserve anything different than what everyone else gets

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

HA IT"S frikking HILARIOUS they would want to stand up to our government on behalf of their rights, but they want to do it here, and not in their homeland???

That's just sad! GO HOME AND DO SOMETHING ABOUT YOUR SH******** !!!!

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   

I appreciate your stance. It is admirable.

It is sad to see your stance to be shunned by special interest groups, politicians, and the MSM as being racist.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Abandoned? Are all Hispanics suddenly in favor of illegal immigration? I'm Hispanic and I support having our border patrolled, in fact...we should have our national guard there. There's too much violence and corruption spilling out of the Mexican border right now. Mexico is starting to appear more and more like a failed state...and I wouldn't be surprised if it eventually reaches that point....Look this country isn't on the other side of the world. We share a border with it, and Mexico is a transit center for drug cartels with operations in South America, Eastern Asia and else where...and they don't care who or what gets in their way. The drug cartels are run by real terrorists a lot closer to home.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 11:58 PM
link   

My applause for you man
Anyone who goes through all the legal hoops deserves respect in my book. One of my ex's was Guyanese and she told me about all the time waiting and fees attached to citizenship. She was here like fifteen years before she was naturalized. I would have no problems with speeding up the process a little but we do need a chance to get to know our new country people.
It's pretty sad how the Mexicans have been ruining it for everyone else. The US was built on a melting pot idea. We blend and mix and borrow from all the different people who come here. Favoritism to anyone group makes it unfair to everyone else.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Clearly something is wrong with the source!! and the writer!! I guess they are completely oblivious as to the results of Tuesday's elections. Pathetic hit piece by a dum dum.

Hispanic candidates emerged as winners after Tuesday's elections, lifting the number of Hispanic members of the U.S. House and U.S. Senate to record levels.

There will be five new GOP Hispanic members of the House - two from Texas, Bill Flores of Bryan and Francisco Canseco of San Antonio; Jaime Herrera of Camas, Wash., the first Latina to represent Washington state; Raul Labrador from the Idaho district that includes Boise; and David Rivera of the Miami area.

In addition, Marco Rubio, the son of Cuban refugees and a tea party-backed Republican, will be a new U.S. senator from Florida.

In all, there will be at least 26 Hispanic members in the upcoming Congress: 17 Democrats, seven Republicans and two U.S. senators.

"There's an increase in Latino political power," said Gloria Montano Greene, director of the Washington office of the National Association of Latino Elected and Appointed Officials.

Read more: www.miamiherald.com...

It would seem that just the opposite is happening? Latinos are rapidly gaining a strong foothold in American Politics. It's inevitable.

Wow!!

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 08:10 AM
link   
I am Latina and I was born America, I am very much against illegal immigration, all the they do is like some other member said is come here, have a littler of children and then drain the social programs while parading their broad in the malls around the towns.

I which I could tell pictures of them here in my neck of the woods, you can not tell who are the parents and who are the children they move like swarms as is so many of them.

They are here to make American babies and multiply.

I never have any need for social programs had only two children that my husband and I could afford and my husband pay thousand of dollars in taxes so somebody else can multiply.

Sad, because we know is no going to get better, now they are angry at the government? well hell I am angry too for no doing enough to save the tax payer in the nation.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

That's because it's easier to create racial tensions when you're losing the argument.

I sat on the sidelines for a long time on the immigration issue. But when I was living in Vegas and the immigration protests started, I was offended to see a SEA of Mexican flags flying down Las Vegas BLVD. Thousands of Hispanic high school and middle school kids walked out of class that day all over the city and went marching. Carrying their Mexican flags and their Brown Power t-shirts.

When I saw this my first though was "I'm supposed to be for this kind of BS?" Over the last 4 years my view on illegal immigration and social integration has changed.

I'm completely against this idea of multiculturalism. There's the American culture, and then there's heritage. Assimilate in to the culture you're going out of your way to adopt as your own. The Progressive Left has created enclaves of minorities across the country and in every city with this idea of multiculturalism. We've managed to divide ourselves more as a result.

My family and I came here to be Americans, not Costa Ricans or Cubans in America.
My citizenship application says that I am REQUIRED to have an attachment to the Constitution as a condition of my citizenship. The left wants to supplant that with loyalty to their progressive agenda. Hence these stupid ballot measures that popped up trying to allow non-citizens to vote in local and state elections.

I think the Hispanic community needs to wake up to the threats to liberty ALL Americans face. We need to stop this us v. them mentality with respect to racial and cultural separation. We need to stop supporting groups like La Raza(The Race) as those racist, cultural-supremacists don't speak for all of us.

I've always thought we were ALL Americans. And I will not stand idly by while hucksters, crooks, thieves, and liars try to use my sense of heritage as a political weapon against my fellow countrymen.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Very well said and your personal experience speaks volumes.

My grandparents and great grandparents all made the trek to America from Eastern Europe in the first 10 years of the last century. They overcame the hurdles and assimilated into the culture and still maintained a proper and proud sense of their heritage. Above all, they were proud to be American. They worked hard, built homes, built businesses, and created families to share in the dream.

The modern day progressives are striving to drive a new cultural wedge in this nation and I just hope the majority of their target population are strong enough like you to fight back.

Cheers!

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
I'm an immigrant myself(Spanish is my first language). Still not yet a citizen. I don't think illegals should be allowed to benefit from the system. We should do with illegals what everyone else does and kick them out. And this idea of non-citizens being able to vote is ridiculous to me.

What would stop the Chinese, or the Russians or Iran from rigging elections in their favor if we just let anyone in the world do whatever the hell they wanted the second they stepped foot on American soil?

No thanks. I want to vote, I really do, but I'm not willing to sacrifice the voices of my fellow Americans to get there a little faster.

I said the equivalent at this thread:

ATS

top topics

join