It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coffee Talk

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
It is very very very very very very good.

Hooray! Good coffee is a good thing! Everyone likes good coffee! Yum! Hooray!

Here is the best coffee I have had in recent memory: www.coffeereview.com...

At $56/lb, it's too expensive. But it's really really really good. Not the kind of coffee you would ever want to consider dark roasting though. It has a crazy citrus floral scent and aftertaste, unlike any other coffee I've ever had.

It's fun to occasionally splurge on expensive coffee, like Jamaican Blue Mountain or Hawaiian Kona. They're considerably better than average quality, but not worth the hyper-inflated cost. Especially with so many excellent reasonably priced Costa Rican coffees the last two seasons.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Ian McLean

Mmm, I actually saw this coffee on a recent tv show and did some research on it as they stated it is "the best' in the world ... I think it was on Modern Marvels or similar show.

The thing is I simply don't have the expertise to prepare it nor the requisite palate to appreciate it. Plus it seems like the sort of thing that is similar to wine and is best when shared. Hint hint ...

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 02:23 AM
link   
I would love to be a coffee connoisseur.
For quite a while now I have been meaning to search for a quality espresso machine for home use, since gaining experience as a barista..

Let me tell you about a discovery that I recently made. Don't know if you've previously heard of it. Here in Townsville we have these Heritage Tea Rooms who's speciality is Kopi Luwak, or Cat Poo Coffee. Here is the link for it:

Kopi Luwak

What makes this coffee the most unique in the world, is that the coffee beans are eaten and then passed through the digestive tract of the Asian Palm Civet – a cat like animal that lives in the jungles of Indonesia. While in the stomach, the cat's digestive juices leech out many of the proteins responsible for the bitterness in coffee and result in a smoother, sweeter flavour.

I haven't tasted it yet but I am definitely thinking about it! You know what they say, try everything once..
Yer, I love coffee

edit on 10/11/10 by pretty_vacant because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

I tried experimenting with coffee a couple of years ago. I'd put cinnamon or cocoa in with the grounds and let it perk. Tasted pretty good. It's been a while since I've done it. After reading your thread, I'm thinking of doing it again.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

It was a sign of hospitality just like people across the pond drank tea, mother had to ask everyone in for a "cuppa" coffee. I had a boyfriend once who I always thought would break down and enjoy the coffee but he never did. He was a weirdo anyway - didn't even like pie!
I remember once making a coffee pie! Freeze 1/2 coffee icecream and 1/2 cool whip in a chocolate shell. Well you know how much I like coffee, and you know how much I like pie so, you can imagine how much I like coffee pie! Smart aleck punk. Glad I never married him.

Enough with the preamble. I can't drink coffee that has been standing on the burner for over 30 minutes. I can't drink American coffee. I think they mix it with some other beans and seeds -it just never tastes right even the Folgers and the 8 Oclock which I think is among the best of the grocery store variety...not counting Starbucks at $9 to 11.00 a bag! I used to invest in the Starbucks. Sumatra, yummy - but I have found similar flavors and quality of brew for under 2$ Why spend the money if you don't have to?

There are 2 cheap brands of coffee that are very good but they may only be available in the south. I buy it on sale and send bags of Cafe Pilon to people I know up north who love it.

Cafe Bustello is great and readily available, but it has a light brown color and a frothy creme, great for cappucino and espresso.
It runs about $2-3 a bag.
I prefer the slightly cheaper darker, less frothy, Cafe Pilon. I can buy an 8 oz bag for 1.99 on sale. It is espresso roast but I make regular coffee out of it and people always compliment me on the coffee. We have a coffee pot at work and they serve coffee, but I brought in my tiny Mr Coffee and I make my own (which my boss drinks instead of the restaurant coffee!)

Always use 1/2 and1/2 for your coffee. Why waste good coffee on cheap creamers? Creamora and Coffeemates are horrible chemical laden concoctions, though I will use the Hazelnut to mask the disgusting flavors of restaurant or roadside coffee - if I have to.

After about my second or third cup of coffee - I found I was spilling the teaspoon of sugar all over the counter and missing the cup, so I figured (all by myself!) I was getting a little too much caffeine!

I buy 1 bag of regular and 1 bag of decaf (hard to find and a few dollars more) 3.49 - 3.99 for the decaf Cafe Pilon and if they don't have the decaf Pilon the Bustello will do, and I mix them in a large plastic container. You do not know you are getting half the caffeine and I can drink all the coffee I want.

Another thing is sometimes I take coffee breaks, breaks from coffee...These can be used judiciously when there is a need for stamina or speed. If I hold off on the coffee for a week or two (this is part of an all-fruit fast - much easier that way) and then have one cup of regular...
I have the energy to haul everything out and clean my garage.
I have used that super boost of hyper speed energy to do exactly that in the past.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Eggshells in the brewer basket will also remove the bitterness from coffee.
Cafe Pilon ($2-3) and a Mr Coffee ($20) or standard drip - and you will have coffee as good as Starbucks everyday.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join