It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coffee Talk

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Hi folks,

Over the last couple of years, like many other people, I have really come to enjoy a good cup of coffee. This is a relatively new acquired taste for me ... not that I didn't like coffee before, I just never drank too much of it. On the rare occasion when I did drink it, I just had terrible instant coffee.

All that has changed, and even though I don't drink more than two cups on any given day, I have begun a pilgrimage of sorts to discover great coffees to enjoy.

Sometimes I will buy whole bean coffee and grind it but I also buy the already ground variety. Depending on the coffee I will either french press it or use a percolator. When I make Greek/Turkish coffee I simply put water in a small pot, put the coffee and sugar in when the water is lukewarm, and let it foam to a boil before pouring it in a cup. Let it sit for a few minutes for the coffee to settle, and enjoy.

One time I decided to splurge for a small bag of whole bean Kona coffee ... it was good, but to be truthful I found it a bit too overwhelming for my taste. I have also tried all types and varieties of French, Italian, Ethiopian, Kenyan, Peruvian, Cuban, Mexican, etc coffees, and in the summer I really enjoy ice coffee of the Greek frappé variety.

Anyhoot, even though I keep experimenting with all different types of beans I am by all measures a novice in regards to coffee, as such I wanted to do a thread where we can exchange info on the topic and hopefully learn from each other about new types of delicious coffee ... and if there's time we can sit outside and criticize passers' by outfits. Bitchiness and coffee, a grand combination.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4c5eca85c24e.jpg[/atsimg]

edit on 3 Nov 2010 by schrodingers dog because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Love this idea. I would like to contribute by adding my favorite coffee, but it comes with a warning. If you enjoy sleeping early, this isn't for you. If you want to run 3 miles, do a load of laundry, paint a house, and write an awesome thread, in a couple of hours... well this is right up your alley.

This coffee was introduced to me at a very young age, and I love it, well its more like espresso. Its called Cafe Bustelo, and even though I live in the country now, I can buy it at the big supermarket chains for about $3.50, but in NY (where I was born and raised), you would have to pay about $7-8 bucks for the smaller ones.

I have a 4 shot espresso machine, I pack it down, set it for 4 shots, add some whipped cream, a bit of nutmeg, and drink it. Mmm, Mmm. I have suggested this to some friends, and they cant really handle the buzz it gives, but I drink this almost everyday.

Others who have veered from their instant coffee, and have moved to this brand, swear by it.

For those that are not hard core coffee drinkers, this might not be for you, but I promise you, you drink this and run some errands, you will always drink it when you have alot to do.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Here's a delicious coffee recipe:

Frappucino
1/2 cup double-strength coffee
2 1/2 cups of 2% milk
1/4 cup white sugar
2 teaspoons fruit pectin
3 tablespoons Hershey's cocoa

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Love coffee...don't drink it everyday because most coffee shops make crap and that includes Starbucks. I married in Maui and we stayed at one of the resorts..can't remember but don't tell my wife that and the coffee was kona coffee but it was not 100% Kona...but it was delicious. I most often will drink my coffee black when I make it at home. I find that I'm much better at making coffee than the shops or atleast it is to my specs.

I really don't subscribe to following the suggestions on a coffee maker because all beans are roasted a bit differently from others. Perhaps longer or shorter depending on the volume they are producing and with that said I think you should experiment with the amount of beans to water ratio. One cup of coffee may taste a good deal more bold than another. I know I'm drinking a good cup of coffee after the first sip and my mouth is salivating. Where I'm from it's Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts and they both stink but they are the most convenient. When you go to the more well to do neighborhoods you can always find some small bakerys that usually have great coffee.

And now I could really go for a cup...

edit on 3-11-2010 by chrismarco because: sorry some typos

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I make my coffee in the easiest (and in my opinion the best) way possible. Just put the ground beans in a paper filter in a cone and pour over some hot (not boiling) water.

I prefer my coffee really dark roasted and strong. Dark roasted Ethiopian Yirgacheffe beans are my absolute favourite.

If any of you are ever in London then you have to go to the Monmouth Coffee Company as one cup will make you grin from ear to ear for about 5 hours

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I used to be a non-picky coffee drinker. I drank coffee the way I saw my dad drinking it. Take a cup of water, nuke it, stir in instant coffee, add cream/sugar....ta da...coffee.

I graduated from that to actually brewing coffee - it was just...whatever kind I could grab. Finally settled on one particular brand and then it disappeared off the shelves for a few months. Don't exactly remember why...

Anyway, while perusing the great online garage sale for something or other, I chanced across Kopi Luwak coffee.
Pricey. Very very pricey. I decided I'd chuck out few extra bucks for a small bag & give it a whirl.

If you've never had it - DO NOT DRINK THIS COFFEE. Not that it was a horrible experience by any means, it was like a caffeinated orgasm, almost. Straight, black - not a hint of bitterness, smooth with a hint of almost a musky sweetness. By comparison, every other cup of coffee I'd ever had was nothing more than toilet water. I didn't even want to DRINK anything else. I searched for a substitute and the closest I've found so far comes in a big red plastic container that I've got enough empties of to build an igloo.

Anything lighter than "dark roast" doesn't cut it for me now. French roast tastes like it's been brewed with cigarette ashes in it.

I'd elaborate more, but coffee is done now.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by sykickvision

You do realise I assume that Kopi Luwak is made from coffee beans that have been eaten by by a Civet and then pooped back out.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2361f5d6c3fe.jpg[/atsimg]

I mean he's cute but I don't really want to drink his poop

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Mmmm - coffee - I've come to understand that a good cup is much like a warm blanket or a fire on a stormy night.

Comfort in a cup.

edit on 3-11-2010 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

I'm almost 100% sure that we consume poop in one way or another. At least this way you know where its coming from

He is cute though, if my espresso habit gets any worse, I might have to try to get one to live in my house. How much do you think it would set me back to get one of those

Peace, NRE.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoRegretsEver

I'm almost 100% sure that we consume poop in one way or another. At least this way you know where its coming from.

At the risk of going off topic on my own thread ... that is one of the truest and most profound statements EVER uttered in the history of civilization!

See this, this is the type of clarity coffee enables.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Someone had to say it right
I guess I should have passed on that last shot of espresso

Peace, NRE.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Ooh, coffee. Just finishing my second cup of the day. I've been drinking Maxwell House coffee since I was a kid. Today when I'm at home, it's the French roast. At work, they supply Folger's which is okay with me. Drip coffeemaker. The Black & Decker I have at home I'm not a huge fan of, because it's literally impossible to pour out of the carafe without spilling it. Relatively new, so I'll suffer and keep a paper towel handy.

Best cup of coffee I ever had was at a restaurant in Atlanta, 20+ years ago. My alma mater was playing Tennessee in the Peach Bowl. We got clobbered (Reggie Cobb ran wild over us). After the game we went to a place called Aunt Fanny's or something like that. Really awesome food and the coffee was extraordinary.

One suggestion to try, use a smashed eggshell in the grounds basket. It'll smooth out the flavor. Just make sure to crumble up the shell so you're not impeding the water flow.

I'd love to try some of that civet coffee. It's been on my lottery list.

Off to get cup 3.
edit on 11/4/2010 by yeahright because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

I might try the smashed eggshell thing it sounds interesting!
Thanks for the tip

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   

The simplest way is to rinse the egg really well before you crack it, because you definitely want to rinse the shell. Break the shell up into small pieces and put it in the basket with the grounds. The theory is the calcium in the shells reduces the acidity and makes for a very smooth brew. All I know is, it makes a detectable difference.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Yeah...there IS that detail. I figured what the heck - I raised four kids, flocks of chickens, a kennels worth of other animals - I'm sure I've had worse than roasted (at least they're cooked) coffee beans pooped out by a weird animal.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by sykickvision

Howling with laughter after reading your post! I bet we could write a thread on that subject....(weird things from animal's booties). Love it.

I was once married to a coffee connoisseur and we shopped at all manner of fancy coffee shops for beans, etc.
He delighted in different coffees from different countries. Same with wine.

But now that is behind me, lol, I drink plain ole folgers half and half from a Bunn brewer, because they are very fast and I can be impatient in the mornings.

And I drink a lot and I drink it black. I do however, like one cup of the flavored coffee in the early evening.
Like Hazelnut. Hm.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   
I drink espresso, two cups in the morning and that is it, I use an espresso machine, use extra dark French roast beans that I grind myself..since I don't live in Berkeley, Ca anymore I order Peets direct from the factory, they do distribute it now but not as fresh as ordering direct, if I buy 5 pounds they send me an extra pound free and shipping is free. Their French is not only extra dark it's very smoky and love that taste. I use a Burr grinder by Cuisinart which does grind for espresso, most don't unless you grind it too long and it burns the coffee.

I never order coffee out, tastes like water, I drink tea if I am eating Chinese.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   
When I can't afford the good stuff I buy the pre ground coffee from Lidl (It's a REALLY cheap super store in Europe) and it's actually pretty good.
It's made from Arabica i.e. cheap beans, but it saves me from having to drink instant which I can't stand

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 06:57 AM
link   
I'm on the same page as NoRegretsEver -- minus the whipped cream -- Bustello or Pilon. My fingers won't fit in those cute lil' demitasse, but it doesn't matter because a four-shot is just right for a morning mug. Good Cuban cofffee and here a 36 oz/1.02 kg can is $14.00. I once pursued the perfect cuppa espresso; now, I want a consistently good morning fog lifter. I'm guessing there is probably two dozen of the cans back in the storage room....... just barely enough to squeeze past the doom of the day.

Currently growing Arabica coffee plants, but wonder if they will ever produce anything before a storm gets 'em. We'll see. They were hard to get started (takes forEVer for the seed to germinate) and they don't seem particularly happy with our salt and sandy loam.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I like Red Eye coffee. It's kind of strong but not acidic. If you want a good energy boost, this is the stuff for you.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join