It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there an attack on your childs mind?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Is there an attack on the minds of children today? And if so why? I started this thread in response to a question I recieved only the other day...

Originally posted by chrismarco
What is it today that is making our youth become so insane...

My theory on this is that 'external influences' are to blame for this assault. This can be anything from the video games they play to the type of parenting they recieve. If you think about it, there has never been a time like the one we live in today...

Kids having kids (being parents), this is more of a modern problem (I think). It is illegal to have sex under the age of 16 yet this law has never been enforced. Why? How can a child (0 - 18 years old) have the mental stablity to teach another life how to have etiquette and decorum when they are still devolping it themselves?

Video games, we now have graphically violent video games like never before, video games were you kill to survive or a portrayal of criminal behavior. 25% of video-game players are under 18, thats 1 in 4 gamers are children. And now these games platforms are handheld, you can now take violent games with you to school to influence others.

Music like hip-hop and rock (but not all hip-hop & rock) telling kids to be violent and to rebel. In a town called Jefferson-Township, (New Jersey), a young man named Thomas Sullivan stabbed his mother to death in the basement of their house. He set fire to his house killing his father and younger brother, then committed suicide by slashing his wrists. All week long before this he had been humming a rock song about blood and killing your mother.

Music Videos have also moved in the violent genre, not only are you now bombarded with lyrics like "murder, murder, kill, kill, kill" but you are also met with the visuals to accompany this in vivid detail.

Movies and T.V shows that depict violence and how to get away with it. Researchers followed 329 subjects over a 15 year period and what they found was that those, who as children, were exposed to violent TV shows were much more likely to later be convicted of crime.

YouTube...with the introduction of YouTube children now have access to acts of violence with the greatest of ease. All you have to do is type in the word 'fight' to get a wealth of videos showing people harming others.

Cartoons the one piece of media that your children will see the most of, has the highest rate of showing violence then any other media in a 18 hour period...

And now technology advancements allow for all these different 'Medias' to be married together and become available right in the palm of your hand...thats right modern mobile phones now have the capabilities to play video games, listern to music, watch movies and now with the introduction of mobile internet watch T.V shows on the go. Almost all internet enabled devices have the YouTube application built into them (pre-installed).

In 1992, TV Guide commissioned a study of a typical 18-hour TV broadcast day to determine levels of violence. The networks and the more popular cable channels were monitored for "purposeful, overt, deliberate behavior involving physical force or weapons against other individuals." There were 1,846 acts of violence that broke down this way:

Cartoons 471
Promos for TV shows 265
Movies 221
Toy Commercials 188
Commercials for Films 121
Music Videos 123
TV Dramas 69
News 62
Reality Shows 58
Sitcoms 52
Soap Operas 34

Source:
www.cybercollege.com

Now this report was commissioned in 1992...18 years later and do you think these numbers have gone up or down?

Over the years, there have been literally hundreds of studies examining the connection between media violence and violence in real-life, the results of which were summarized in a joint statement signed by representatives from six of the nation's top public health organizations, including the American Academy of Pediatrics, the American Psychological Association, and the American Medical Association: "Well over 1000 studies…point overwhelmingly to a causal connection between media violence and aggressive behavior in some children. The conclusion of the public health community, based on over 30 years of research, is that viewing entertainment violence can lead to increases in aggressive attitudes, values and behavior, particularly in children."

Today, the connection between media violence and aggressive and violent behavior in real life has been so well documented, that for many, the question is settled. In fact, a position paper by the American Psychiatric Association on media violence begins by declaring: "The debate is over." According to Jeffrey McIntyre, legislative and federal affairs officer for the American Psychological Association, "To argue against it is like arguing against gravity."

Source: www.parentstv.org

We are assaulted almost every minute of our lives through all of our senses with this type of negativity, it's bound to have an effect eventually on the most impressional ie the kids.
Now I'm not saying kids are violent because of violent video games or it's because of the music they listern to, I'm saying it an acculation of ALL these things.

It's not just the violence it's sex aswell...more and more media's are showing sexual images, making your children more sexually aware, I could go on and on about this...but I think you get the picture

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Yeah!
All through out history children have lived wonderfully, till now!!!
Children have never been used in wars, till now.
Children have never been forced into coal mines, chimneys, looms, etc, till now.
Children have never been forced into the sex industry, till now.
Lets wrap our children in bubble wrap and lock them away from all outside influences until such a time comes that it is safe.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by NonKonphormist

Damn right WW2 was pretty bad. Not been violence like it since. Certainly WWE or the Family Guy chicken fight does not compare.

It's up to parents to actually raise their children. Don't leave it to the TV. Get involved ask them questions, and most importantly teach them!

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by NonKonphormist

Originally posted by NonKonphormist
Yeah!
Children have never been used in wars, till now.
Children have never been forced into coal mines, chimneys, looms, etc, till now.
Children have never been forced into the sex industry, till now.
Lets wrap our children in bubble wrap and lock them away from all outside influences until such a time comes that it is safe.

I can't help but notice the sarcasm there
I think you have missed the point totally!! I'm not talking about child abuse in the same manner you mention...did you even read the OP?...are you one of these people that read the title then the first sentence and comment?

The OP is about different Medias and there relentless attack on the human (mainly childrens) psyche. When you mentioned...

Originally posted by NonKonphormist

I presume this little comment spawned because of this...

Originally posted by UnderstandingWisdom
If you think about it, there has never been a time like the one we live in today...

What I meant by this, I thought was obvious in light of the OP, we are so desensitized to the acts of violence that the current medias feel they can assault us at every angle. The Television wasn't in people's homes untill 1928, this was the beginning of the media attack that I'm talking about.

The final comments in the OP were about all the medias incorperated into one handheld device like the iPhone released in 2007, making it easier to bombard you where ever you go...technology has taken the influences out of the home and directly into your or your childrens hands, making it almost impossible for parents to monitor, so please read the OP before commenting.
edit on 3/11/10 by UnderstandingWisdom because: More Details

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Where have you been for the last couple decades? Entertainment. Whether it is music, movies, books, video games it's all made to be the most sexism and violent it can be to sell. Don't get it twisted I'm not a Christian. It's the truth why our societies our being dumbed down in the name of entertainment.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Big Raging Loner

Originally posted by Big Raging Loner
It's up to parents to actually raise their children. Don't leave it to the TV. Get involved ask them questions, and most importantly teach them!

I also mention about parents not raising their children 'correctly'...we have the worst cases in history on kids having kids. How can 13/14 year old parents have the mental stablity to teach another life how to have etiquette and decorum when they are still devolping it themselves? Let alone be aware of which material to watch or monitor.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   
This brings one of my favorit movies to mind. "The Cable Guy".... At the end when Jim Carey jumps on the satelite dish and says "someones got to kill the babysitter"...... It took me a while to figure out what he was talking about. Television is the culpret and should be rationed when it comes to children. Most parents are CRAP these days. No parenting skills at all. Seems to be blowout from the 60s & 70s. Their parents were to busy enjoying their "free love" and all. Much too busy to actually raise their children and now their children have children whom they do not have a clue how to raise. TV will make them shut up and sit still though. Thats for damned sure. Along with this sitting still and shutting up these kids are growing up looking at spongebob and the wonder pets to teach them how to be good people.

To answer your question Mr or Mrs OP. TV and some of the laziest and crappiest parents we have ever had on this planet.

MOTF!

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I completely understand where you coming from with this. Children today, are bombarded with sexual innuendo, violence, and peer pressure. Its not even the older kids, its also younger children, even toddlers with such "toys" as the Bratz dolls, with giant lips, blue eyeshadow, and bikinis.

On one hand we teach our kids that sex at a young age is appropriate, due to both maturity, and irresponsibility of either a disease, or unplanned pregnancy, and all the while we allow them to watch Miley Cyrus pole dancing on an ice cream truck.

No one wants to take responsibility for their children, its a burden to the "modern" lifestyle. We tell our kids, dont fight talk it out, then allow them to kill someone in a video game. No I do not think that all kids can comprehend this, due to it being all they know.

You do not have to coddle your kids to the real world, but come on, take a second and look around, some adults cant seem to deal with this, how can a child/adolescent? There's also subliminal's in everything, and dont even get me into Disney, Nickelodeon, and the music industry.
S&F

Peace, NRE.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

Originally posted by Romantic_Rebel
Where have you been for the last couple decades?

Are you saying the level of violence hasn't changed in the last 20 years? Not one day goes by without me hearing about a child fatally wounding another child. This to me is a direct result of what is mentioned in the OP and now it's all in the palm of your hand...At least parents before iphones and the like, could monitor what their children was or wasn't influenced by.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Yes our children's minds ARE being attacked but its by something else which is called RELIGION.

And its been poisoning them for far too long and now many of these WACKOS have grown up to adulthood having matured ZERO and are involved in politics called Republicans. May the genuine God HELP US ALL from the lunatics who are now the majority in the House.

God HELP US PLEASE!!

THIS mentioned here is the REAL issue and poison. Think about it.
edit on 3-11-2010 by jontap because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by UnderstandingWisdom

In order to further my post I would like to add this thread www.abovetopsecret.com... This is about both the attack on the children, as well as the adults minds. This is an on going problem, that if continued to be ignored with ruin generations to come.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

Originally posted by NoRegretsEver
I completely understand where you coming from with this. Children today, are bombarded with sexual innuendo, violence, and peer pressure

Finally someone understands what I'm trying to convey here (star for you)...and now all this 'influence' can be in the palm of your childrens hands with modern mobile phones and mp3 players. Which takes away the monitoring side for the parents...

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Parents need to be parents.

I wouldn't let my kids watch TV when they were young and I certainly wouldn't have let them play violent video games.

As kids mature, you help them make appropriate choices.

This is just another issue for parents to deal with.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   

I think that an honest mistake thats made by parents today, is that showing your kids love, respect, and honesty, is something that needs to be done in a family environment as opposed to the latest video game, or iphone. Your television, movies, and music, will not teach your children what you can do with a little time, and alot of patience.

In order for TPTB to keep things going, is to take the innocence of the upcoming generation. BTW, its working. You dont have to quit you job, or home school in order to bring values back into your life, just maybe a hug, or a what did you do today. I know I'm making it sound simple.... because it is. Your kids, and this generation will thank you in the long run.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by MessOnTheFED!

Here is the question again for those that missed the first sentence of this post, Is there an attack on the minds of children today? And if so why? Here is your response...

Originally posted by MessOnTheFED!
To answer your question Mr or Mrs OP. TV and some of the laziest and crappiest parents we have ever had on this planet.

Doesn't make any sense

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by UnderstandingWisdom

Here is the question again for those that missed the first sentence of this post, Is there an attack on the minds of children today? And if so why? Here is your response...

Doesn't make any sense

I do apologize. Apparently the ability to connect the dots isn't in all of us.

Is their an attack on the minds of children today?....... Yes, but not from a specific entity. It's from many CRAP entities that call themselves parents.

And if so why?.......... Not really a why... Just lazy parents being lazy and as a side affect it corrupts our childrens minds.

If thats not good enough I dont know what to tell you. Nor do I care to try to explain it any differently.

MOTF!

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Wildbob77

Originally posted by Wildbob77
Parents need to be parents.

I wouldn't let my kids watch TV when they were young and I certainly wouldn't have let them play violent video games.

As kids mature, you help them make appropriate choices.

This is just another issue for parents to deal with.

Thankyou for your post...but again I think you miss what I am saying. Yes pre 2007 you could have monitored what they watch, music they listen to or video games they played. But with the introduction of modern devices like the iPhone these influences have moved out of the house (were you can monitor) to the palm of their hands, taken where-ever they may go. These devices have ALL of the above medias, music, music videos, T.V shows, movies, YouTube and books.

Now I know some will say "well my child doesn't have a modern devices that does all this, so this doesn't affect my child", my answer is they will know someone who does have one...and you can't monitor what they see or hear when your not there.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Video games, we now have graphically violent video games like never before, video games were you kill to survive or a portrayal of criminal behaviour. 25% of video-game players are under 18, thats 1 in 4 gamers are children. And now these games platforms are handheld, you can now take violent games with you to school to influence others.

I remember playing a game called Manhunt, it was brilliantly addictive but very violent. However I never felt the urge to commit any of the atrocities in the game in the real-world and I don't think it altered by demeanour but it definitely desensitized me to violence. When I first played it I remember cringing, but after a few hours, I started to enjoy it, not the violence per se, but the gameplay. While I'm playing games though, I'm always conscious that it's all just a mass of pixels. As games become increasingly more photorealistic people probably won't be able to distinguish between real-life physiognomy and in-game graphics, which is worrying. An argument could be made that violent videogames reduce violence because they are generally cathartic. I dunno. Violent videogame are usually appropriately rated depending on their violence so kids probably shouldn't be playing them anyway since their minds are too impressionable. Regardless of what violence you're exposed to daily in the media I think pugnacity is something that stems largely from one's upbringing and whether your parents have done a good job of instilling good moral values in you from an early age, as someone else said, in my opinion.
edit on 3-11-2010 by Nathan-D because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Maybe you should specify what age range were talking about here? Children could mean anything from 0-18 and that is a very broad spectrum.

The point to my origional post was leaning towards toddlers. Corrupt them from the get go and it will lead them down the wrong path.

Different age ranges have different brain development.

MOTF!

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Maybe you should specify what age range were talking about here? Children could mean anything from 0-18 and that is a very broad spectrum.

The age range starts from whenever the 'parent' decides to allow their children to watch (be influenced by) T.V or listern to music, in some cases this can be as young as 12 months
and stops when they have the aptitude to determine whether what they have see or heard could be influential.

As for the issue of taking it out of the home and into the hand...I personally know of a 6 year old that has an iPod Touch which also is packed with all these features.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join