It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Traffic Management - uk gaming community backlash

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I was listening to a few colleagues at work today moaning about a sudden increase in lag (latency) in their online gaming with a certain uk ISP. When I got back I did some googling and sure enough there seems to be a massive surge in complaints hitting both the gaming companies and one particular ISP.

It seems a recent activation of Internet Traffic Management policies on 30th Sep 2010 to restrict P2P traffic (source : www.wired.co.uk...) is effecting some MMO games including the popular World of Warcraft game (sources : www.thinq.co.uk... and www.digitalspy.co.uk... )

A spokesperson told Wired.co.uk that the system is dynamic, and will automatically be adjusted based on network usage. But they still believe customers will get fast speeds. “Typically, if we’ve got a lot of video usage going on in an evening, [that] might see P2P traffic drop to about 50 percent of headline speed. [But] you’ll still be able to download at a high rate.”

When asked if existing customers could opt out of the free speed upgrade in order to remain on the old traffic management system, a spokesperson said no.

ISP Traffic Management Policies
shop.virginmedia.com...
www.virginmedia.com...

It'll be interesting to see how this one pan's out, this coupled with their packet inspection technologies (source : www.theregister.co.uk... ), all ISP's will likely follow.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   
We're getting screwed in the UK in terms of broadband service (and a few other areas, for another thread perhaps).

I am paying a relatively cheap monthly rate for my service at home. However I am supposedly guaranteed 'up to' 8MB broadband. I don't even get half of that in my area. We are way behind the rest of the world. For playing something like Halo Reach online my packet transfer speed is just about adequate, assuming the Internet isn't being used for anything else.

If they start this kind of packet inspection that is only going to get worse. This sucks!

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I hope they don't do that where I live (in US)...online gaming is my main source of home entertainment. It's already slow enough when my room-mate has both his computers running.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Move to 02

Lines sorry!

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Try livng in Wales Bro,when it comes to broadband,at least where I live:it sucks massivley.
And if I dare to even try to download something LEGAL(open source software/copyright free music etc) on P2P the story gets even worse...I am being throttled for a legitamate use of P2P so I don't even bother...

I am meant to be be able to get 8mb,but I can ONLY get 1mb what ever ISP I pay.

Its grim up north as they say.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Big Raging Loner
We're getting screwed in the UK in terms of broadband service (and a few other areas, for another thread perhaps).

I am paying a relatively cheap monthly rate for my service at home. However I am supposedly guaranteed 'up to' 8MB broadband. I don't even get half of that in my area. We are way behind the rest of the world. For playing something like Halo Reach online my packet transfer speed is just about adequate, assuming the Internet isn't being used for anything else.

If they start this kind of packet inspection that is only going to get worse. This sucks!

Lucky you, I am guaranteed 24MB and I get 70KB LOL!! I am only 5miles roughly from the capital of Northern Ireland.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Just a quick update to my thread for closure - looks like the incorrectly classified gaming traffic was taken out of the traffic management entirely to provide a quick fix for customers.

community.virginmedia.com...

kudos to the ISP for providing updates and fixing the problem rather than waiting the original 3 weeks suggested in my original post.

one final snippet from the inquirer - www.theinquirer.net...
edit on 4-11-2010 by digitalf because: typo

new topics

top topics

join