It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HONEST question from a Canadian...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Hello ATS,

I could type for many hours regarding American politics, believe it or not, but I prefer not to at this time..
Too much to say, too little of space.

Anyways, my question is... Does it only take 2 years for you citizens to forget? Honestly.

2 years ago the mass majority of Americans despised the Republicans... You guys wanted change, you slandered the GOP as war mongers, big spenders [which they are, look in a book], liars and unchanged since the 60's.

Now, 2 years later, the GOP are going to save you from the Democrats?...

I just don't get it. In Canada, we never forget.. and hell if the public support is NOT there for an election we simply dont have one.

2 parties holding eachother up is very scary.

Thanks for all replies.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by CanadianDream420
I just don't get it. In Canada, we never forget..

Really? Two words......... Brian Mulroney.

As to the topic, well, I'm not American either but times and needs change. If they didn't elections wouldn't be necessary.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

I don't know about where you live in canada, but here, the people are stuck in the 2 party sham as well. The two parties just have different names is all.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   

maybe you havent heard, but elections are rigged, and too much foreign aid will get anyone elected. (speaking of which, and foreign countries/corporations, Im for sale too!) its a never ending cycle of saving/impeaching/disaster/saving/ impeaching.... disaster is next I believe..

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
The same corportate entities are running both countries anyways...Politicians on both sides of the border work for the same bribes.Just in canada politicians go for a little cheaper.....

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Yeah but we don't have to wait a year for life saving medical treatments.
So who's nuts???

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
...LOL...Canadians never forget...Wow buddy....Jean Chretien was elected three times and served full mandates...LOL....It took everything from a Quebec Referendum (Sponsor scandal) over spending on fat government and cutting services in Health care and Education to the dwindling numbers of our armed forces for people to wake up or get tired of paying so much for so little to finally get tired of it and elect a "Reform" Conservative to power, albeit cautiously with a minority government on his first mandate but now he ( Stephen Harper ) has a majority and just now Canadians are getting tired of the Conservative and will eventually shirt back to the Liberals.... It's all a crock of crap if you ask me......why not elect the NDP or the Block Quebecois.....

The NDP is a Right wing/center party, they cant do no worst than what is going on now! and as for the Block Quebecois, I have seen no other party fight so hard for something in the house of communes ever before and I'm not talking about Quebec separatism but more about minority rights, a constitution for the people, Objecting to laws that give Government more power, French speaking Canadians outside of Quebec and more.....

Either way...It's time for major reform in all of Government......We need new blood, new ideas and a new process. What we have now isn't working and it has to chance!

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Soldier of God

Either do we S.O.D. ! but god forbid that you have a broken wrist......2 days......Yeop...Two days to get my son's broken wrist put in a cast.

Heart attacks (heart transplants ), lung transplants, cancer patients, high trauma patients still get priority one and dully so and these patients tend to not be waiting very long at all in 99.5% of cases.

The major problem with public health care is the way it is structured in my opinion. Every time I've had to present myself to an emergency room ( trust me I'm an accident waiting to happen,LOL) I've had to wait countless hours because of the amount of people there that have a simple cold or a headache or their kid has a fever or a runny nose. Don't get me wrong here, these people should seek medical advice if they feel that they need it but please...an emergency it is not and they should not be at the hospital plugging up the system but more at a clinic, either public or private !!! This would take so much stress off the public system ie: hospitals that we might be able to function to an acceptable degree.

Of course we need more doctors, the population is aging and the demands are getting higher but still.....The privatization of part of the health care system might not be such a bad idea in my opinion.

Anyhoo...I'm off subject...Sorry.....

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Myendica
maybe you havent heard, but elections are rigged

Maybe they are rigged, we don't know...
But the public support for GOP is there, now, watch tv.

Originally posted by Fox Molder
...LOL...Canadians never forget...

I'm not saying we are any better... Public support wasn't there for Chretien
edit on 3-11-2010 by CanadianDream420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
We were all angry and wanted change.

What we didn't want was a congress that had no regard for what the people wanted, and to shove things down our throat. The majority really did not try to work with the minority. It was their way or the highway.

The change that we wanted was to be heard and represented as we once were.

Now there is another change. I think Obama could end up being a good 2 term president if he moves closer to the center. Now, I'm hoping that the politicians see what the people want and they give us what they promised. If that is not the case. I think things might have to get more physical to get things right.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Actually we are tired of career politicians, both Repub and Dem, that become complacent over time.
That's why you witnessed plenty of new blood getting voted in.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   

My reply would be that we don't have a functioning party in our political system. They say different things to get elected but they all end up being roughly the same. Bought and owned by the highest bidder. Even if an official resists the corruption, voting for special interest groups, lobbyists and lawyers is so pervasive that they will find themselves stymied when they try to fight the system.

Every election now is an act of desperation. You pick which ever side convinces you they are F'n up the least and HOPE that they might get it together THIS time.

It's a sad state of affairs.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Canada isn't the only country who's wondering about that

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrXYZ

Canada isn't the only country who's wondering about that

I'm right here in the good old USA and I wonder about it!

I can't believe how ... forgetful ... people are.
(Forgetful isn't really the word I wanted to use, but the other is too insulting.)

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

The whole thing was a total knee-jerk vote. Voters weren't happy how slowly things improved (and they DID improve), and reflected that in their votes. Sadly many completely forgot about the facts.

Which party blocked tougher WS regulation? GOP
Which party made it super easy for companies to ship jobs offshore and NOT pay taxes on it? GOP
Which party blocked a bill that would have given 911 first responders healthcare? The people who saved hundreds of people while completely disregarding the danger to their own life? GOP
Which party deregulated the finance industry to the point where they could all screw us over? GOP
Which party started the bailouts and defended them until they lost power? GOP
Which party pushed through the wars we are stuck with now based on faulty intel? GOP

I'm not saying the Dems did everything right, because they most certainly didn't...but if anyone seriously voted for the GOP thinking they will make things better, WOW!! YOU ARE DELUSIONAL!

I can't believe people are underestimating this economic crisis so much, they seriously expected things to be all good again in 1-2 years. It's the worst crisis since the great depression! Anyone who studied economy can tell you that something like that can't be fixed in 1-2 years...which is exactly what people expected from the Dems.

The rest of the world is shaking its head and would laugh at US politics if it weren't so sad...

Seems like the majority in the US switched from critically looking at facts to being partisan zombies who only listen to spoon-fed opinions they receive from "opinion shows"...which supposedly are more popular than real news like Wikileaks. One of their best comedians (Stewart) had to be the one to tell you guys to cut the bull# and embrace sanity again...don't think it worked

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I think more than anything people are not voting for the Republicans to save the day, but voting for them to temper the balance of power. If either party controls Washington completely, zombies rise from the ground, birds fall out of the sky, the sun blackens and we get legislation like Bush's Torture Bill and Obamacare.

Voting to neutralize Washington is a win for the vast majority of Americans. If they have to argue and compromise to get anything done, they'll get much less done, and not nearly as extremely as any of em want it to be.

And yes, our two party system is a joke. Too bad most Americans aren't getting it.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   

they haven't forgotten, they've just seen the democrats fail over the last two years. they punished the republicans 2 years ago for failing, now they're punishing the democrats for failing.

its actually very rational if you think about it. why punish the republicans AGAIN by "not forgetting" about 2008, when the people who have been in power over the last 2 years are the democrats.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by snusfanatic

they haven't forgotten, they've just seen the democrats fail over the last two years. they punished the republicans 2 years ago for failing, now they're punishing the democrats for failing.

its actually very rational if you think about it. why punish the republicans AGAIN by "not forgetting" about 2008, when the people who have been in power over the last 2 years are the democrats.

The problem is that none of the issues the US is facing were solvable in 2 years. Apart from that, how does "punishing" someone change things for the better, even if you weren't happy with the Democrats.

And the weird thing is, things did improve. The economy improved a bit, unemployment went down...granted, not to levels that would make things "good", but given that we're facing the largest crisis since the big depression, things could be a lot worse.

The weird thing is, a lot of the things people have been complaining are things the GOP is guilty of too.

Anyway, the whole 2 party system is a joke...I'm not even counting the TP because they're a bunch of evangelical lunatics since Palin/Beck took over.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
We all have good reason for changes in politics but just for a minute ( or more ), just try to solve the political aspect of any country. Mine, yours it make's no difference!

As for my part, I've come to the conclusion that in our present scheme of though, conscience, their is no other alternative.

Any ideas....???

top topics

<<   2 >>

join