It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Historic Opportunity

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by maybereal11
I'll edit my post to be more civil, but flat earth debaters frustrate me.

Ya' say you'll be more civil .. and then insult.
Best start with THIS post if you want to edit and make things more civil.

Originally posted by intrepid
be the change you want.

Careful intrepid ... your Obama is peaking out.
(sorry ... couldn't resist!)

Intrepid your thread has proven it .... this is not an historic opportunity.
There is no way that both sides of the same coin can work together.
In real life in a vending machine .. sure. But not in Washington DC

And what's so historic about this anyways.
Lots of times in history a sitting POTUS has lost the house and/or senate.
It's really no big deal. Just another mandate by the people changing their minds
from two years earlier as to what direction they want the country going in.
Obama is just doing what he said he'd do ... and people wanted it two years ago.
Now they don't. Americans are fickle. Or they don't pay attention and had no idea
that when Obama said 'fundamental change' that's exactly what he ment.

Either way .. no historic opportunity. same ol' same ol'

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Guys, please. Can you post without the back-handed snipes? Remember, be the change you want. Thanks.

It's looks like Beck, Sean, Rush, Savage, Bork, Oriley, and Fox etal... have done the job they were paid to do.

Kick the slats out of any hope for "A Historic Opportunity"

No one wants change....they want victory

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

I'm glad you asked. The country has never been divided the way it is now along partisan lines. Not only the political parties but the populous as well. This is an opportunity for HEALING. If it continues along the way it's going now, civility between dissenting people is going to become much worse.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   

I'll edit my post to be more civil, but flat earth debaters frustrate me.

Ya' say you'll be more civil .. and then insult.
Best start with THIS post if you want to edit and make things more civil.

You beat me to it. Starting to think maybe it's pathological.

Remember, these liberals/progressives are only 20% of the population. Maybe that's what puts the chip on their shoulder.

Can I quote Reginald Denny here and say, "Can't we all just get along?" - without the insults.

Bi-partisanship could even start here ...

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
How did the "independents" vote on obamacare?

I assume this is the closest you will get to accepting the reality that Lieberman and Sanders are not Democrats, but registered independants and admitting your claim of a Democrat filibuster proof majority was wrong.

Next step is to reconcile Lieberman's killing of the public option, outspoken opposition to Pres. Obama, close friendship and support of John McCain and his aiding the GOP with thier 2010 mid-term strategy.

But I will take one ray of light at a time. Nice to see you come around.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   

The country has never been divided the way it is now along partisan lines. Not only the political parties but the populous as well. This is an opportunity for HEALING. If it continues along the way it's going now, civility between dissenting people is going to become much worse.

The Gallup poll stats I've already posted clearly agree with what you are saying. The moderate center percentage has been shrinking, which points to more polarization.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   

You beat me to it. Starting to think maybe it's pathological.

Remember, these liberals/progressives are only 20% of the population. Maybe that's what puts the chip on their shoulder.

I went back and edited my post...you are still being an ass...go figure.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

Guys, please. Can you post without the back-handed snipes? Remember, be the change you want. Thanks.

It's looks like Beck, Sean, Rush, Savage, Bork, Oriley, and Fox etal... have done the job they were paid to do.

Not me man. The only thing I watch on American channels is football. I can see a good slogan when I hear it though. And this is the premise of this thread. If YOU(the collective "you") want a change from the partisanship that is tearing people apart, one has to BE that change, not wait for it to happen.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   

How did the "independents" vote on obamacare?

I assume this is the closest you will get to accepting the reality that Lieberman and Sanders are not Democrats, but registered independants and admitting your claim of a Democrat filibuster proof majority was wrong.

Next step is to reconcile Lieberman's killing of the public option, outspoken opposition to Pres. Obama, close friendship and support of John McCain and his aiding the GOP with thier 2010 mid-term strategy.

But I will take one ray of light at a time. Nice to see you come around.

No such thing.

You must have missed (or ignored) the post I did with the wiki quote saying that obamacare "passed on a 60-39 party-line vote.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Bi-partisanship could even start here ...

A noble goal. I hope we are up to the task.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   

The country has never been divided the way it is now along partisan lines. Not only the political parties but the populous as well. This is an opportunity for HEALING. If it continues along the way it's going now, civility between dissenting people is going to become much worse.

Not to be difficult but I'm still not seeing the 'historical' part. The country has been divided along partisan lines for decades. The country came together for the Reagan election. But that's probably the last time. Clinton won big, but 2 years later he lost DC just like Obama has. I'm not seeing anything historical about Obama's loss of the house. It's happened before .. the country has been divided before ..

Sorry .. just not seeing it. Maybe I'll just go watch 'That 70's Show' reruns for a while this afternoon and come back to this. Get some fresh air ... that kind of thing. Maybe I'll see it after a break ... (but don't count on it).

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
All I have to say is get things done or get out of the way. We have seen this constant partisan struggle by both parties who have both lost touch with America. If Republicans think this election was a mandate for them to govern they are dead wrong, it was opposition to out of control spending, unresponsive government, and partisan gridlock.

If the Republicans fail to realize this is about working together, both sides, they will be thrown out in 2012. Americans are angry at both parties and they will keep voting for the party they oppose in power. So if the Republicans are smart they will vote for popular bipartisan bills that will skyrocket the approval of both Obama and the GOP or they can play politics and lose their control in 2012. It’s really up to them.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   
John Boehner...the New Speaker of the House..

I am not optimistic that the "people's" business will be done, but have no doubt that business will be done.

With that said...I am going to take a break from ATS...I can't find the "Deny Ignorance" motto on the homepage any longer. Was it ever there on the old homepage? Or did I imagine it?

Take care...

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   

If YOU(the collective "you") want a change from the partisanship that is tearing people apart, one has to BE that change, not wait for it to happen.

Oh no, does that mean I have to give up my treasured classification of "people like you" given to me by the right on ATS. I have grown rather fond of that designation as I came to love and appreciate the title "tulip walker" in years past.

Nothing gonna change! The namecalling, the bitterness. Many here define themselves by who they hate.

And now with the GOP making some strides in the national arena, their negative style will be vindicated and increased with the predictable defensive reaction from the left.

It's gonna be fun; just wait....
edit on 3-11-2010 by whaaa because: djfgoier

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   

The country has never been divided the way it is now along partisan lines. Not only the political parties but the populous as well.

I don't think so. The late '60s early 70s were much worse. The Democratic convention in '68, Kent State, Vietnam, the Pentagon Papers, the Berrigan Brothers, SDS, Weather Underground, Symbionese Liberation Army, Black Panthers...

Good times.

If you've never read Hunter Thompson's "Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail in '72", I highly recommend it.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

Ah but those were about societal issues, not who you vote for. These times are about who's right, damn, I'm right. Screw you. Pretty limp reasons to get bent out of shape imo. With the venom and energy that is being expended.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

I agree with a little bit of this, a little bit of that. I also heard Obama's speech this morning in which he said We needed first to decide what is good for America then look at what issues between the parties they can agree and work toward that. I am glad to hear this from him because this is how negotiations are supposed to be done...not through compromise but in finding common ground.

Does America need a new energy policy? If both side say yes then they need to figure out the specific general items they wish to work on. Limiting America's dependence on oil? More alternative energies? etc. Then once the general point are decided and agreed more specific points are decided until some type of plan is reached.

The way things currently are done makes moving forward impossible. Submitting entire preplanned bills that are entirely one-sided then expecting the other side to conceed to things they do not want is bad for this country. It creates division. It creates resentment.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   

With all due respect, YOUR ARE DELUSIONAL! Nothing has changed except the deck chairs on the Titanic have been rearranged. What short memories we have. Didn't we just kick out the Republicans several years ago to opt for CHANGE? What change have we received. None. More thievery and chicanery from the oligarchs in Washington. They are stealing from you and your brother and sister's, the other poor and middle class people of the world. TARPS was thievery, blatant and vile. The majority of the citizens didn't want it, but they did it anyway. In France, they raised the retirement age. The citizens didn't want it and they did it anyway. At least the French people have the balls to do something about it. And you? You think this election is a historic opportunity! With all due respect, Pull your head out of A$$!

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by HUMBLEONE

With all due respect, YOUR ARE DELUSIONAL!

*snip*

With all due respect, Pull your head out of A$$!

Thank you for that AMAZING commentary. It really helps.
Seriously dude, reread this thread. It's about breaking down barriers, not creating them.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join