It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Land Emerges from Sea in Bali area 3/11/10- Speculation is that it's a volcanic cone ???

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by GhostLancer

Originally posted by Blaine91555
reply to post by Masterjaden

2. We find dinosaur FOSSILS because their bones had become *FOSSILIZED* --a process that essentially preserves the bones in stone.

edit on 4-11-2010 by GhostLancer because: typo

Fossils are a whole nother can of worms. Science has us believe they take millions of years to form, however they cannot prove that. When Mt St Helens erupted not long ago, it fossilized fish and creatures in nearby lakes INSTANTLY and they dated as being old even though they were simply weeks old.

In fact, as Im sure most here realize the "carbon" dating system is a joke even amongst many people working in the established science field. It merely allows them to compare things proportionately to eachother but it is by no means accurate as far as age.

I personally believe things are much different than what the established ptb have forced down us lesser peoples throats for the last forever........if you catch my drift

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by berkeleygal

By heck, do you mean that as a youngun I visited a place that did not exist and did not realise it?

Wow!!

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Xterrain

Well I have not taken a look for this but so far in the thread no one seems to have considered that the description was of an area of land of about 1 hectare, which is approximately 2.5 acres so not very big. There was no mention of volcanic activity so it is not a cinder cone, nor is it described as pumice floating on the water, and anyway these are fishermen and should know an island when they see one.

If as described, this is between two volcanic islands it could be a dome of magma pushing up. That could spell a violent eruption in the near future if this happened very quickly.

they are greeted with a new island that seems to have sprung up overnight, when in actuality, it may have taken a week or two to form whilst they were away.

Two weeks Mr Resident Geologist is quick, and might be by intrusion but is not by eruption.
edit on 5/11/2010 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xterrain
Glacial Rebound doesn't have anything to do with weather patterns, the intensification of earthquakes by stabilization, sinkholes, tsunamis, or increased activity in volcanoes.

Weather patterns maybe not, but otherwise not actually strictly true. Iso-static rebound and depression both increase earthquake activity (on a small scale) and volcanic activity as well, as evidenced in Iceland. Indeed post glacial rebound (the big movements of hundreds of feet) is believed to be responsible for the rash of volcanic activity in Iceland at the start of the Holocene era (when the ice age came to a temporary end)

Geologically, glacial rebound occurs in only a few places on earth; mostly Siberia, Canada, The Great Lakes Area, The Netherlands/Sweden/Finland, and Australia.

Mm, try telling that to Greenland and Iceland and of course any area which was under the icecaps, or is under an icecap now, or a glacier. Glacial rebound occurs any time there is a mass balance change in an icecap or a glacier.

... the pressure is released and earthquakes and volcanoes DECREASE in both scope, force, and magnitude.

Nope sorry, wrong. They may do eventually but as noted above there is evidence to suggest that this is not the case. There is also some evidence that suggests that whilst under a major ice cap earthquake and volcanic activity is actually suppressed.

Tsunami's are ONLY created by two things; thrust-type fault lines like the one in Indonesia and the one off the Washington coast; which occur rarely, and landslides. Landslides being the most often cause of tsunami's.

Don't think so, three actually and additionally tsunami type waves can be created by wind. Fault thrusts also tend to create far larger ones. Try reading up on this page. Brilliant drawing by the way.

(thats the only reason much of Texas receives earthquakes...but at the surface they rarely register higher than a 2.5 on the Richter scale.

Try this map:

I take it that during the glacial period Texas had moved up somewhere above Kansas, maybe around Nebraska, and then moved back down again after the ice went?

No I think that most of the quakes in Texas and the areas above it which are all on the oil shale strata are for the most part caused by extraction and fracking.

Try using this search cause+of+text+earthquakes and I think you will find that my statement is right. That shale formation continues into the Gulf.

I have to call into question your geological credentials when you make a statement that 'at the surface they rarely register higher than a 2.5 on the Richter scale'. On the surface? Are we getting hypocentres and epicentres mixed up here? The epicentre of an earthquake is the point on the surface above the hypocentre - the place where the earthquake occurs. Whilst people say that an earthquake was x.xx at the epicentre that is because the distance is measured to the epicentre and most people would look blank if you said hypocentre and quoted somewhere underground. The earthquake is actually measured at the hypocentre and is not 2.5 at the surface and greater down below. Now of course I am not a geologist, but that is my understanding.

Even the darned spell checker thinks hypocentre should be epicentre which just shows how entrenched the view is.
edit on 5/11/2010 by PuterMan because: to correct a link

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
reply to post by Masterjaden

Please present verifiable proofs and the exact location of Atlantis and I'll reconsider? Thanks so much. I'll pull my head out of the sand now and then to check to see if you have proven this myth to be true.

Odd that an advanced technological civilization would leave no sign of itself in light of the fact we so easily find evidence of dinosaurs from many millions of years prior, don't you think? Convenient it has sunken into the earth and no real records of it exist other than a work that is thought to be fiction by most of the academic community. But then who cares about such things as real evidence or facts, when speculation and fabricated histories are so much more fun.

Whilst not a verifiable proof there is a great feeling that Santorini - the caldera - is possibly the site of Atlantis.

Try reading this first and then embark upon a journey of discovery. You might be surprised at what you find out.

The island is the site of one of the largest volcanic eruptions in recorded history: the Minoan eruption (sometimes called the Thera eruption), which occurred some 3,600 years ago at the height of the Minoan civilization. The eruption left a large caldera surrounded by volcanic ash deposits hundreds of feet deep

Source

There is much more about this out there if you look and the story is at least plausible.

Conversely of course if you consider this to be a fairy tale why not provide me with verifiable proof that this is the case?

One should never close one's mind to possibilities, especially ones that are somewhat compelling.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

Hmm.

I've been taught that myth and reality need to join. That myth represents reality, perhaps not literally but significantly.

...Check out Joseph Campbell, The Power of Myth - illuminating.

The Power of Myth: Lessons from Joseph Campbell

Theology and myth are stepsisters of truth. The one probes with questions, the other spins out tales on gossamer threads. But both serve a common mystery.

...As Campbell once said, "The latest incarnation of Oedipus, the continued romance of Beauty and the Beast, stands this afternoon on the corner of Forty-second Street and Fifth Avenue, waiting for the traffic light to change."

...Mythology, as Campbell knew, always aims to include the listener in the tale. The story of the hero, for example, ultimately turns us back to our own experience. "The mighty hero of extraordinary powers -- able to lift Mount Govardhan on a finger, and to fill himself with the terrible glory of the universe -- is each of us! " (Hero with a Thousand Faces). I am Telemachus, ever waiting for the lost father Odysseus to come home; I am Gilgamesh, longing to overcome the mystery of death. There is in me the blood-red hatred of Kali, who is consumed by his own rage; in me too is Demeter, the earth mother that loves and nurtures. I am Luke Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi, the learner and the teacher, preparing for bold action. All these stories are my stories.

But our culture denies such a "participation mystique." It suggests that myth functions only as a dimension of primitive consciousness, and is no longer operative in any significant way. Indeed, the whole history of Western culture can be seen as a history of demythologization. The dominant Western story we have been telling ourselves for 3,500 years has been a painful tale of children who, in their progress toward maturity, have steadily cast off their illusions. We see ourselves as courageous men and women come of age, in the clear light of reason and critical insight. That is the modern story by which many in our culture live. But central to Campbell's perspective is the understanding that this story of demythologization is itself a myth, another story offering us energy and meaning. It is "the myth of a mythless humanity. " Its very insistence and repetitiveness in our cultural history, from Xenophanes to Voltaire, shows us to be incurable storytellers, molded by the power of myth.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 10:33 PM
link   
With 21 Indonesian volcanoes trembling at the same time it makes you wonder what's happening under the earth. If more mountain peaks come out of the water with continuing volcano shaking the locals better hang on for a wild ride to come next.

The country reported increased rumblings at 21 other active volcanoes, raising questions about what's causing the uptick along some of the world's most volatile fault lines.

news.yahoo.com...

Check out this Thread.
21 More Volcanoes Rumbling in Indonesia : Major Plate Restructuring ?

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan

Originally posted by Xterrain
Glacial Rebound doesn't have anything to do with weather patterns, the intensification of earthquakes by stabilization, sinkholes, tsunamis, or increased activity in volcanoes.

Weather patterns maybe not, but otherwise not actually strictly true. Iso-static rebound and depression both increase earthquake activity (on a small scale) and volcanic activity as well, as evidenced in Iceland. Indeed post glacial rebound (the big movements of hundreds of feet) is believed to be responsible for the rash of volcanic activity in Iceland at the start of the Holocene era (when the ice age came to a temporary end)

According to Scott from the believersunderground, massive water coming into the oceans is changing the salt water in less salt water; that causes huge evaporations, and changes weather patterns. This sound very plausible to me. He has predicted many earthquakes, oil riggs going down, vulcanic activity, lightning storms, islands sinking.. His last video with links is very interesting again.

www.youtube.com...

Sorry for my Bad-English

With love and understanding

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by projectbluebeam

First of all you judge upon me. Secondly I even wonder wether you have read my first post. 3rd you commented on somthing that wasn't directed to you. 4rth You does't seem to know much about Post glacial rebound.
It DOES inderectly causes bigger hurricanes, earthquakes, sinkholes, ...

I'm not going into discussion with some1 who is ignorant and judges upon others. If you are interested, just research Post Glacial Rebound.

Originally posted by projectbluebeam

www.youtube.com.../u/22/ddk-T6KH7AU

www.youtube.com.../u/16/Y3YPOGYscvg

www.youtube.com.../search/3/C-QVxwdZKHw

I like your source citations, but real Geology is found in Universities and in the field.

Originally posted by PuterMan

Well I have not taken a look for this but so far in the thread no one seems to have considered that the description was of an area of land of about 1 hectare, which is approximately 2.5 acres so not very big. There was no mention of volcanic activity so it is not a cinder cone, nor is it described as pumice floating on the water, and anyway these are fishermen and should know an island when they see one.

If as described, this is between two volcanic islands it could be a dome of magma pushing up. That could spell a violent eruption in the near future if this happened very quickly.

they are greeted with a new island that seems to have sprung up overnight, when in actuality, it may have taken a week or two to form whilst they were away.

Two weeks Mr Resident Geologist is quick, and might be by intrusion but is not by eruption.
edit on 5/11/2010 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

Two weeks is quick, but not over night, which is quicker. ;-) As for an island springing up in the area, I think we both agree that they happen quite often in the region and as I have been educated, by field studies IN the region, the people of most of those islands do not fish the same exact areas day in, day out. Instead, they go where the fish are and if there was volcanic activity taking place, the fish wouldn't have been where the island ended up being, thus the fishermen wouldn't have been either. Yes, it could be do to intrusion. I didn't rule it out, but since I am not on-site with witnesses and my foot on the island, you nor I could know whether it is or not.

As for the other post of yours, breaking my post down by taking certain things out of context to reduce my credibility, you're in the wrong. When I gave examples of where post glacial rebound occurs, I gave examples...not a list of every one on the planet. I gave REGIONAL information..thus Greenland and Iceland...would be in the region between the Netherlands and the Canadian shield...as Greenland is located upon it.

Texas not having glaciers? Let me clear my throat and direct you to a place called 'Lost Maples State Park'...where retreating glaciers left a certain species of Maples trees in deep valleys West of San Antonio. These maples are still there today and are the only ones in the state, and yes, the Balcones Escarpment that runs the I35 corridor from Piedras Negra, Mexico to Dallas, TX, is the result of glacial rebound north west of the Balcones Escarpment causing the land to rise on the west side of the Balcones Fault Line. This is also why our weather in the hill country along the Escarpment is so constant with rainfall...the rise of elevation causes the pressure to rise thus condensing atmospheric H2O...this is the extent to which post glacial rebound effects weather patterns.

In addition to the OPs first response to me, sinkholes are also NOT, I repeat NOT created, nor effected by post glacial rebound. Sinkholes are caused by underground Karst formations collapsing into themselves.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

Yeah, you know for sure Atlantis didn't exist. Are you God or something? You do not know the facts.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join