It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US man charged for wearing Halloween mask

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 07:08 AM
link   

US man charged for wearing Halloween mask

www.independent.co.uk

A man faces charges of wearing a mask or hood in public after police arrested him on Halloween night and charged him under a rarely used old law designed to combat the Ku Klux Klan.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 07:08 AM
link   
I appreciate why this law was introduced but seriously? On Halloween, you can't wear a mask?

Unbelievable.

It then goes on to say that he is being held in jail on $7500 bond.

The News & Observer of Raleigh reports that 20-year-old Lawrence Marqueal Rogers was cited for wearing a red bandana that police said concealed everything but his eyes. He was then arrested when he donned the garment again. The man was being held in jail on a 7,500 US dollar bond.

$7500!!!!
This isn't the first time this has happened, a man in Tampa was arrested for wearing a clown mask earlier in the year and got fined $750.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
I am just shocked that this happened on halloween.

www.independent.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 3-11-2010 by Wide-Eyes because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 07:16 AM
link   
wearing a red bandana over your face is a typical sign of gang/illegal activity and does not really make for much of a halloween costume.... unless you are dressing up as a crackhead who is getting ready to rob someone.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by j4k312

Fair point but we don't know what else the guy was wearing and does it really warrant $7500 bail?

I mean come on, it's a bit steep.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by j4k312

theres nothing illegal about being a member of a gang, nor is it illegal to display a colored garment.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by j4k312

Maybe he was cold, I wrap a scalf around my face when I'm cold. I doesn't mean I'm a crack head about to rob someone.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by j4k312
wearing a red bandana over your face is a typical sign of gang/illegal activity and does not really make for much of a halloween costume.... unless you are dressing up as a crackhead who is getting ready to rob someone.

Exactly. And knocking on my door at 7:45pm is an indication that you are arriving uninvited, hence a threat to my person, and I have every right to shoot my gun into said door to repel you as a threat. No one comes to my home uninvited.

Wait, Halloween?

Doesn't matter, I'm sure it was a drug fiend or criminal of sorts.

edit on 3/11/2010 by badw0lf because: the moon made me do it

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by badw0lf
Exactly. And knocking on my door at 7:45pm is an indication that you are arriving uninvited, hence a threat to my person, and I have every right to shoot my gun into said door to repel you as a threat. No one comes to my home uninvited.

Wait, Halloween?

Doesn't matter, I'm sure it was a drug fiend or criminal of sorts.

edit on 3/11/2010 by badw0lf because: the moon made me do it

Yikes...Remind me not to knock on your door if im in trouble or broken down near your house...

I think you may be paying a prolonged visit to the state penn if you actually did that as you described...you cant just blast people that knock on your door...

Im all for shooting people that do us harm...and if a guy comes to my house at 2am in a mask ala "The Strangers" you can bet that he'll be eating 5.56 rounds through the door but 7pm on halloween...thats a little over the top

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 08:01 AM
link   
i am just saying that it is possible that this was in a known gang neighborhood and that having lived in one myself i know that if you see someone wearing a bandana like that just pretend you didnt see them or be ready to grab a gun...

i do agree the fine is way out of line but i think there are some things about this story not being told.
edit on 3-11-2010 by j4k312 because: typo/clarify

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Oh no. Call the police. This man in this ad for a cowboy halloween costume must be a crack head or a gang member.

www.costumecraze.com...

Notice that one of the articles that make up the costume is a .......wait for it............red bandana.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by j4k312

Maybe...Maybe not the article doesnt say what area...

It hints that this guy was being a jerk about it and they tried to find something to charge him with to get him off the streets...I dont agree with fabricating crimes to charge people with or twisting out of date laws that may still be on the books but not enforced to "get" people with

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 08:14 AM
link   
yes i am indeed correct
taken from news article here with a picture of the man with his pretty little im a killer prison teardrops inked under his eyes....

A 20-year-old Zebulon man was arrested on Halloween night for wearing a mask in public.

Authorities said he was no trick-or-treater.

According to his arrest record, police believe Lawrence Marqueal Rogers, of 101 Canterbury Drive, is a member of the United Blood Nation gang.

. With convictions for breaking and entering, larceny and injury to personal property on his record, Rogers now faces one count of wearing a mask/hood in the public ways, according to documents filed in the Wake County Magistrate's Office.

Read more: www.charlotteobserver.com...
edit on 3-11-2010 by j4k312 because: goofed up stuff

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by j4k312

You win!

Case closed...The guy was a gangbanger up to illicit activities. I think we should shoot gang members in the ass so they have a real reason to walk with a limp...

(im with you...not being snarky)

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by BingeBob
The guy was a gangbanger up to illicit activities.

The guy may be a gangbanger but prove that he was up to illicit activities by wearing a mask on halloween (which is the only charge he recieved). When did we step into "Minority Report" style policing?

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   
1) being in a gang is not illegal

2) thats not even a real gang

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by RelentlessLurker
1) being in a gang is not illegal

2) thats not even a real gang

1. lurking/prowling is a crime. and apparently wearing a mask when youre above the age of 16 is too

2. yes it is. Bloods are part of a "union" of other gangs. they share the same symbols and ideaology. the crips are part of another "union" i think they call them families...

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Read more: www.charlotteobserver.com...
edit on 3-11-2010 by j4k312 because: goofed up stuff

Thanks for finding that, I searched for more info but every news site had the same rehashed story that was in The Independant.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by BingeBob

1) theres no evidence this man was prowling, and the mask thing is a local ordinance that was directed at certain white people. which shows you how old and obscure it is, to be used on a black person.

2) the "united blood nation" is about authentic as "nation of islam". if this man is a blood hes about 3000 miles away from his turf. the location of the article speaks for itself.

just because a person goes out and buys a red/blue bandanna and thinks up a little name, does not make them a blood/crip. it makes them an idealistic copycat. i understand that it probably makes no difference to you, but in an effort to deny ignorance i feel it is necessary to point out that it is a common misconception that these particular gangs have an interest in "spreading" beyond their original communities.

you see the bloods, crips, and 18 street gang were originally created in very specific communities and despite popular belief, and self declared "Auxiliary gangs" across the nation, the original 3 in Los Angeles California (the ones that all the notoriety is attributed to) vehemently deny affiliation with any of these self declared "Copycats" and frown upon anybody not from their own region wearing "their colors" or claiming membership.

not to be confused with various Latin oriented gangs that seem to be recruiting to spread anywhere and everywhere.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   

1) theres no evidence this man was prowling, and the mask thing is a local ordinance that was directed at certain white people. which shows you how old and obscure it is, to be used on a black person.

2) the "united blood nation" is about authentic as "nation of islam". if this man is a blood hes about 3000 miles away from his turf. the location of the article speaks for itself.

just because a person goes out and buys a red/blue bandanna and thinks up a little name, does not make them a blood/crip. it makes them an idealistic copycat. i understand that it probably makes no difference to you, but in an effort to deny ignorance i feel it is necessary to point out that it is a common misconception that these particular gangs have an interest in "spreading" beyond their original communities.

1. Theres no evidence that is listed in the news article...we all werent there... But this guy has a record...a criminal record....id bet that he has gang tats that are on file too...

2. You really think that the only place where the major gangs are active is where they originated? Wake up dude. How do you think they make all that money from interstate drug trade? I took a multi-hour course in gang ID and gang traditions and behavior. Besides what makes a group of people a gang? Even if they are copycats they are still a gang.

We were also taught that the "wannabes" are the most dangerous...In jail the real OG's were the easiest to get along with and they ran the units...As a corrections officer, I had very little say in the unit politics but the big cheeses got things done and took care of business. The wannabe gang guys were the first to start fights and start stabbing people - because they have to prove themselves

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   

So youre saying "enforce the law on white people but black people get a pass"?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join