It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Good News from Iraq - Progress Report

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 06:47 PM
link   
I read this article and while I do not agree with the War in Iraq, I am happy to admit that there has been some good news and positive changes in the country. The road is and will continue to be a long one, and I am still not sure if the number of lives lost on all sides is worth the progress so far. i feel there could have been different ways of removing Saddam from power and providing change to region other than dropping bombs, torture and killing of all nationalities involved.

But that aside, I feel the best progress has been made towards the education of the future of the Iraq, the children. Education will be the only way, that Iraq can eventually move into the 21st century. And the Healthcare improvements has also been good for the country. I hope we can put apart our differences to agree on the progress.

Statistics on Progress Made in Iraq Under the Coalition Provisional Authority
A look at progress in Iraq reported by the Bush administration:
- Electricity production has reached 4,100 megawatts, short of the coalition's goal of 6,000 megawatts by June 30. Estimates of Iraq's prewar production have varied wildly - from 300 megawatts to 4,400 megawatts.

- Electricity is now spread evenly across the country. Baghdad, which used to be favored under Saddam Hussein's regime, now gets 8-12 hours of electricity a day compared to 20 hours before the war.

- The overall number of telephones in Iraq, including cell phones, is up nearly 46 percent since before the war. Cellular phone usage has soared with more than 429,300 subscribers nationwide. More than 201,000 subscribers have had their land telephone lines reinstated, but there are still only 784,200 land lines, compared to 833,000 before the war.

- More than 2,200 schools and 240 hospitals have been "rehabilitated," the coalition said - though the amount of work performed has varied.

- As of January 2004, 860 secondary school master trainers, and 31,772 secondary teachers and administrative staff, were trained in programs funded by the U.S. Agency for International Development.

- School supply kits have been distributed to 1.5 million secondary school students, 808,000 primary school students and 81,735 primary school teachers.

- About 8.7 million new math and science textbooks have been distributed. The World Bank has issued a grant for $40 million for new textbooks for 6 million primary and secondary students.

- Twenty Iraqis have received Fulbright grants to study abroad, and six are women.

- More than 77,000 public works jobs have been created through the National Employment Program.

- Sixteen provincial councils have been established, along with 78 district councils, 192 city or sub-district councils, and 392 neighborhood councils.

- Health-care spending in Iraq has increased some 30 times over prewar levels. Between June 2003 and April 2004, more than 3 million children under five were vaccinated against diseases. A U.S. grant to the Iraqi Nursing Association will go toward training more nurses and buying uniforms, bed linens and nurses' kits.

- The new Iraqi dinar has been stable, and its value has risen by 25 percent over last fall, when the conversion was under way.

[edit on 6-28-2004 by worldwatcher]

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Hey worldwatcher, how ya doin' ?...

I agree, there are a lot of good things going on in Iraq ( most of which will never be reported in the main stream media... )...

Just go to some of the Iraqi blogs ( if you want to see the real news ), and read what they say ( although from what I read, they've never been able to blog under Saddam's rule before
)...

Some of them are pro, and some are con, but from what I see most are pro Iraq, and pro Coalition, which is a good thing...

And...I know for a fact...that I'm going to get flamed for saying what I've said...but ahhh...what the hell, the folks that flame me don't want a stable Iraq anyway...

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 09:59 PM
link   
It is wonderful what the Americans can do when we put our mind and our MONEY to it! Now if we could be just as generous with ourselves!!!

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I hope things continue to get better in Iraq, especially after being assaulted very heavily by bombs.

They should've included information on what they plan on doing with all the depleted uranium in the Iraq region. I guess they don't want to talk about how cancer in the area has increased from such military actions.

Anyway, the price of the New World Order is that some innocents will have to die in the process.

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Way to go USA!
I guess after a million or so killed as a result of the two wars and the inhumane sanctions over the past decade this phony 'progress report' will give each and every American a nice warm and cozy feeling!

Come to think of it....who generated this touchy feely progress report?

Wouldn't be the Pentagon or the Dept. of Defense or anything remotely similar would it? Right!

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Merovingian
Way to go USA!
I guess after a million or so killed as a result of the two wars and the inhumane sanctions over the past decade this phony 'progress report' will give each and every American a nice warm and cozy feeling!

Come to think of it....who generated this touchy feely progress report?

Wouldn't be the Pentagon or the Dept. of Defense or anything remotely similar would it? Right!

a million? lol not even the UN says that, try finding better sources of info, you should know everything after iraq invaded kuwait in the first war was brought on iraqis at their governments doing, not that it was responsible for anything or even cared for the people ever but hey america is just a horrible demon so nothing is justified even if its the right thing(if it has risks its wrong or should be given up) to others like you.

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Progress report..............are you people blind? this is just propaganda nothing more and nothing else, things tend to look a look prettier when you put then on paper.

How about a tour of all this wonderful things shown by numbers in that report? No pictures?..............I guess if hard when you have to hidde from bullets all thay long.right?

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Well I'm glad that things are looking up in Iraq. Now that they're a soveriegn nation I think we should get the hell out of there, but thats for another thread...

So yeah, it's all well and good that the Iraqis are better off, but I must ask myself... Why are we spending so much money to update their schools, buy them new textbooks and school supplies, when we should be focusing on our own schools and our own children. I mean good for the Iraqis, but I care a lot more about American schools and the fact that the American public school system is going down the crapper. Sorry to rain on the progress parade, but this is a forum for expressing opinions and that's my opinion.

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 07:45 AM
link   
doing good yoda, thanks for asking

I see from the responses here, that good news and progress is hard to swallow.

while i agree with some of the opinions posted here, including why we don't take care of our own first, I am simply resigned to the fact that war in Iraq did happen, like it or not, and these are the good things that have happened so far....but like i said before, i am still not convinced that the number of lives lost is worth the progress in Iraq so far.

new topics

top topics

join