It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Robot to make space debut as shuttle’s 7th member."

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Thought this might make a good read.Interesting times.All those Sci fi movies about robotic companions in space and here we are just about to realize that dream.Although R2 is somewhat crude in comparison to movie robots or artificial intelligence its a very interesting developement.

"Robonaut 2 — affectionately known as R2 — is hitching a one-way ride to the International Space Station this week aboard the final flight of space shuttle Discovery."

"It’s the first humanoid robot ever bound for space, a $2.5 million mechanical and electrical marvel that NASA hopes one day will assist flesh-and-bone astronauts in orbit."

"This project exemplifies the promise that a future generation of robots can have both in space and on Earth, not as replacements for humans but as companions that can carry out key supporting roles," John Olson, director of the Directorate Integration Office in the Exploration Systems Mission Directorate at NASA Headquarters said in a NASA press release. "The combined potential of humans and robots is a perfect example of the sum equaling more than the parts."

Here is an official quote from Nasa's website.

"The launch of the Space Shuttle Discovery has been postponed an additional 24 hours until no earlier than Thursday, November 4 at 3:29 p.m. EDT. A new television schedule will be posted to this site as soon as new timelines are made available."
www.thestar.com...
physicsbuzz.physicscentral.com...
www.youtube.com...
www.nasa.gov...

R2 could be Hals grandfather who knows.The whole story is kind of taking away the spotlight from the human astronauts and maybe one day all space missions could begin with R2's and take the away at least the first initial danger that humans experience.really interesting stuff. Enjoy.
peace.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I have a question what if "Robonaut 2 — affectionately known as R2 (hal) goes nuts and decides the humans should be exterminated? whats there to prevent that from happening?

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by gaurdian2012
I have a question what if "Robonaut 2 — affectionately known as R2 (hal) goes nuts and decides the humans should be exterminated? whats there to prevent that from happening?

I think that as long as robots are kept to the relegation of "helper monkies" or guniea pigs and task performers
then I think we will all be safe.Its when we give free will and power or control over critical systems or positions of power that we could be in trouble.Such as the Matrix or terminator.

But if scientists are smart they will follow Asimovs laws of robotics.

The Three Laws of Robotics are as follows:

1.A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2.A robot must obey any orders given to it by human beings, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3.A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
en.wikipedia.org...

Peace.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   
do you know the difference between a human brain and robotic brain? Nature( or so we are lead to believe) made our brains, through evolution.

everybody is born with a different brain, all function slightly differently. a robots brain can be made on a factory floor and all built the same and made to function a specific way.

we could make a AI with 100 times the brain power of us, when i would start to worry, is when we specifically build it with freewill and emotion. as long as it stays in a command/function format, i think there is no real need to worry.

as for robonaut 2, i would have to give props to nasa, i know space exploration strikes a major chord in the human condition to explore and learn, but r2 was designed to carry out task that are deemed too dangerous for humans.

unlike rovers or probes, robotics like this in the near future could be sent to the many rocky bodies of our solar system. probes nowadays can't turn over rocks to look for space worms, or grab a shovel and dig( although they can drill and turn up soil)

thumbs up to nasa for a change.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by quantumdragon

I agree, but really its been a long time coming.These types of robots should have been blasted all over our sloar system for the last forty years, exploring and beaming back data.Even if some were lost they could have made enough of them to have given us much more knowledge and insight into our solar sytem than we have now.At 2.5 million per, they could have made a friggin army of them with all the money they've wasted and we'd be alot farther ahead than we are now.Peace.

new topics

top topics

join