It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

STOP!...All Health Research??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
A interesting thought occur to me the other day, with the population of the Earth ever expanding and with people living longer soon we’re going to run out of space and most of this is the fault of medical advances. Arguably if penicillin had not been discovered nearly 90 years ago by that clever fellow Alexander Fleming or even further back to the investigations of the cell by Robert Brown in 1831 to the more recent cloning of dolly the sheep we would not be quite as healthy as we are today. Just to point out by the way for the rest of the world the aforementioned advancements in medicine were all thanks to Scottish inventors, just because we’re such a clever bunch. We’re also the guys that came up with the hypodermic syringe, Beta-blockers and the ECG. The list goes on, you can thanks us later for your good health.

Now the point of this thread is not just to demonstrate to my nation’s contribution to your good health but rather to point out that in the long term we might have done the world a great disservice inadvertently. If us Scots keep inventing all this life saving stuff pretty soon we’re all going to be living well into our centenary years and as such our little blue planet is going to have some pretty sever overcrowding issues.

So with this in mind, how about we just stop all medical research (Globally), absolutely everything with the exception of any pathogens that could wipe out the entire human race (that would be counterproductive). Aside from that one concession however why don’t we just stop researching for cures for cancer, AIDS and even the common cold. By all means continue with the administration of current treatments but why don’t we just stop looking for new treatments and be happy with the way things are just now.

It makes sense, it could help to stabilise the population over time yeah we might hit 8 billion but if we keep finding new cures then that number is going to increase exponentially. Eventually there is going to be no room left for us all that’s going to lead to war, death suffering and the dark side in the words of Yoda, all because us Scottish chaps can’t help but invent stuff. In the long run it will save more that it would kill surly it must be the right thing to do.

It had another advantage, think off all the money you would save by not giving to those charities!

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Simply answer really, however I have thought the same thing myself, OP.

Very few people are openly against human population, in other words, no one advocates human death and suffering, as that is "morally wrong and ethically wrong."

I have thought about the population of the planet too, and have come to realize that it is not medicine, it is our reproductive rates. China and India house 1.3 billion, and 1.1 billion people, respectively, and that accounts for almost 1/3 of our population. 90% of those populations however live in squalor, and are uneducated do to lack of government intervention, care or neglect of the problem.

To me, the ultimate solution would be to silently release a virulent pathogen (ebola or the like) in small trade villages in those two nations, spreading accross the nation like wildfire, taking out 90% of the populations, bringing them back down to acceptable levels. I would do something similar to other countries too, but rather than do it indescriminantly, i would be controlled, I.E; the american south, people who are morbidly obese or wont look for work, or are not contributing to society or the economy, but are a drain, or a public risk, like disease carriers(HIV, Hepititus etc.)

No I am not trolling.

But OP, medical research will stop when we run out of money and funding, which is looking to be soon with the way the America is behaving recently.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by kevinunknown
If us Scots keep inventing all this life saving stuff pretty soon we’re all going to be living well into our centenary years and as such our little blue planet is going to have some pretty sever overcrowding issues.

Well, not really. You see, when nations become developed/industrialized/advanced, the need to procreate wildly begins to dissipate. Antibiotics, emergency care and transportation, proper nutrition and a general abundance of information significantly lower the risk of infant mortality and immensely increase the possibility that our children will prosper into maturity.

This phenomenon is, in fact, observed. While population may be increasing globally, the more developed populations are having less children per couple. There's no need to have more than 2 children anymore. And, let's face it, if we're averaging less than two kids per couple around the world, we're looking at an eventual extinction.

By all means continue with the administration of current treatments but why don’t we just stop looking for new treatments and be happy with the way things are just now.

Colonization of planets....???? Hell, how about just utilization of inner continental land? Or how about manufacturing islands? Build vertically? I mean, the solutions are never ending.

Eventually there is going to be no room left for us all that’s going to lead to war, death suffering and the dark side in the words of Yoda, all because us Scottish chaps can’t help but invent stuff. In the long run it will save more that it would kill surly it must be the right thing to do.

LOL....religion leads to war, death and suffering. Scarcity, too. And, ironically enough, eliminating certain religions would subsequently eliminate much of our over population problem. Scarcity? Well, the answer is technology and scientific research.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by DevolutionEvolvd

They are all very fair points but if tomorrow a cheap cure was to come out for all cancer, AIDS and so on the population of the earth would explode at such a fast rate we would exceed the caring capacity of the earth and eventually either destroy the planet or have to start killing of some humans.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by kevinunknown

AIDS: www.avert.org...

People living with HIV/AIDS in 2008: 33.4 million 31.1-35.8 million

pls tell me how this is supposed to matter? cancer? diabetes? these are ailments of developed countries, so they don't affect the majority of people, so they don't matter.

afacis, the western Malthusian mainstream is only killing itself, while the rest will inherit the world.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

'peak humanity' scheduled to occur between 2020 and 2050.

PS: if the history of environmentalism is any indication, and extrapolating the shift from rainforest preservation to biofuels to other subjects, the Malthusian paradigm will seamlessly be replaced by a population crisis of another kind, namely falling fertility leading to societal collapse leading to reduced fertility (and increased mortality). iow, if people seem to value peace and life less than ideology. a lesson one should learn, i think.

new topics

top topics

join