It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ULORIC hilarious add

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

The following short clip has some of the chronic effects of gout.
Thanks to the medication these are very rare today, although the gouty hands were once common.
The ultimate phase includes the splitting of the skin, and the acidic crystals actually begin bursting to the surface.
www.youtube.com...

Thank God for modern medication.

edit on 3-11-2010 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   

This link makes a belated but crucial point.
Scientists still cannot explain why some people retain or manufacture more uric acid than they can excrete than others.
www.youtube.com...
As such a genetic component seems more likely than diet, or at least diet alone.
My mom gets joint pains after one glass of red wine, and my older brother has been diagnosed with another form of arthritis. So I think we have a genetic proclivity to such inflammations.

The diet route is exhaustingly debated and sometimes downright contradictory (unless you eat the meat and shellfish). It's a different 'miracle" fruit or veg every week. In my case - I've wasted enough time on quacks.
I'll say yeah to celery and turmeric, it's cheap and doesn't do any harm. Will it CURE gout? I doubt it.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   

I'm replying on my phone so....this won't be too detailed.

There's plenty of scientists with sufficient data to support the hypothesis that hyperinsulinemia and insulin resistance are inhibiting the body's ability to excrete uric acid. And its pretty clear that fructose/glucose combinations are probably the number one cause of urate crystal formation. Glucose spikes insulin and fructose spikes uric acid.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by DevolutionEvolvd

Fascinating - please post more when you can?

However, as the teaching doctor explains in my link on the previous page, only about 20% of people with high uric acid get gout. So the causes are complex. One can see this from the doctor's lecture. He describes the condition and treatment, but shies away from causal controversies (except for proven lead exposure).

Two other things I did when I had my first attack(s):
- because I tested HIV-positive I listened to quacks who said that I must take massive amounts of Vitamin C.
Only later did I learn that Vitamin C is Ascorbic Acid, and very acidic. People with gout should use buffered forms. What was worse is that I immediately swallowed more vitamin C when the pain started.
- I took a powdered over-the-counter headache drug containing aspirin and other acidic ingredients that are known to burn people's stomachs. I only learnt this later.
I think those were my triggers that drove it over the edge.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by halfoldman

However, as the teaching doctor explains in my link on the previous page, only about 20% of people with high uric acid get gout. So the causes are complex. One can see this from the doctor's lecture. He describes the condition and treatment, but shies away from causal controversies (except for proven lead exposure).

Sounds a lot like people with heart disease. Some have high cholesterol, some have normal and others have low cholesterol. Which would indicate that total serum levels don't play a large role (And they don't). Or even that cholesterol isn't the cause at all (it probably isn't).

Most of the science on gout is shotty, honestly. But there are some glaringly obvious connections made by scientists that know how to test a hypothesis. My personal opinion on the matter is fructose and alcohol (increasing uric acid production and insulin resistance) fuel the problem and glucose exacerbates it (spiking insulin).

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   

thanks for that explanation, clears things up a little bit for me

And wow that really sounds horrible. I can see why the medication is more than necessary, especially if a second attack is imminent if you go unmedicated. Personally I think I would look into some holistic medications or more natural ways to cure this before I stated popping pills that claim to stop my heart, but in the long run I'd rather die pain free than live in agony

GummB
edit on 4-11-2010 by GummB because: ETA

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Sounds like you might be on to something there... would love to hear more if you make it back here off your phone lol
If what you say is true than diet may have more of a role than most believe, that being said, one would assume the diet would have to be in place long before the gout started to develop to have any effect.

GummB

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by GummB

I'll jump on and post with more detail and sources when I get home this evening.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 12:46 AM
link   
What a bunch of bull, the cure is worse than the problem, people are so stupid they take this junk.
Even animals know how to heal them selfes, eating grass what ever.
I know i had a craving for artichokes, I was having liver problems, those are good for liver problems, the Bible, The grasses withheal the people....Nation?.
You know in your heart what is good for you, you have had thousands and thousands of years to know this.
The hell with big Pharm.
Physician heal thy self.

Don't smoke, waste money, we are not cavemen any more, fire is everywhere.
Don't drink, is total stupid
Don't be a pig , don't eat till you feel sick.
Be good person, feel good about self, proud to be a child of God, and loving it.
The power is all around you embrace it, everything is alive with The Creator's Energy, viibrant.
That rock might just look like it 's just dead sitting there but it's alive on fire with The Creator's Present's
Jump up and say ( YELL ) Hallelujah The Lord, Father, Mother Maker, Creator is with You.
edit on 5-11-2010 by googolplex because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Solasis
reply to post by Funkydung

This thread isn't really the place for your bizarre insinuations that the pharmacological industry is run by witches.

hahaha you will wake up one day.

Also: word meanings change over time. Especially over thousands of years. Just because a word is rooted in another word doesn't mean the concept described by the first word is intertwined still with the concept described by the second.

of course words change over time....thats why i said in my post.....Pharmakeia is a form of the Greek root word from which we get our English words: Pharmacy, Pharmacist, and Pharmaceutical.
....www.yourdictionary.com...

1. the art or profession of preparing and dispensing drugs and medicines
2. a place where pharmacy is practiced; drugstore

Origin: ME fermacie, medicine < MFr farmacie < LL pharmacia < Gr pharmakeia < pharmakon, drug

edit on 5-11-2010 by Funkydung because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 01:16 AM
link   

edit on 5-11-2010 by Funkydung because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I'm so concerned about this proclivity by some to think "Oh, I had some condition, and it went away, maybe because I ate some fruit or vegetable", and they then assume that somebody else with a serious condition can be cured or treated by their limited experience.

Suddenly they moralize disease, and diseased people.
By implication you must be fat or eat like a pig.
Or maybe you have a sin, or God gave your country over to "disease".
Whatever, as soon as science declines the moral/nutritional judgments begin.

How can people think they are so superior that they can judge others for using medicine?
Well, by all scriptures disease is a part of life, and their time will come.

edit on 7-11-2010 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join