It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

21 More Volcanoes Rumbling in Indonesisa : Major Plate Restructuring ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I don't know much about volcanoes but have been keeping abreast of the news as it comes in because of what's going on in Indonesia. This was in today and has the scientists scratching their heads . Thought I'd give it a thread of it's own even though it's been mentioned in other threads as it seems to be a very unusual level of activity and I know alot of you here will be interested in this . There are a heap of news articles about it on google news now and apparantly all 21 of these rumbling volcanoes have had their altert status raised. Friday it was 8 volcanoes with raised alter levels you may recall.

The country reported increased rumblings at 21 other active volcanoes, raising questions about what's causing the uptick along some of the world's most volatile fault lines.Geophysicist Pall Einarsson of the University of Iceland said that such an increase could be an indication that some of the volcanos — if any are very close — could be affecting one another. He said this idea is a new one for volcanologists, but they are increasingly seeing evidence of interplay between neighboring mountains.

He said such an increase could indicate "a major plate restructuring" — a major shift in the plates' position, rather than simply the usual jostling.

source

Commentary from a Geologist in the same article echoes the thoughts of the Geophysicist :

Geologist Brent McInnes said as he hadn't seen the raw data but would find such a rash of volcanic activity significant."If it's true that there are over 20 volcanos demonstrating increased levels of seismic activity, then that is something we should pay attention to," said McInnes, a professor at Australia's Curtin University who has done extensive volcanic research in Indonesia.

He said such an increase could indicate "a major plate restructuring" — a major shift in the plates' position, rather than simply the usual jostling. "That would be significant."

I can't comment on any of this, just posting in the hope there are some people on here who might have an informed opinion as to what might be going on . What else is occuring that might lend supporting evidence to this theory of major plate restructuring possibly being in motion or what should we be on the look out for ? And what kind of effects might major plate restructuring have ?

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by cosmicpixie

On going discussion on this matter Here

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   
21 active volcanoes in Indonesia????

This is pretty serious if you ask me, isn't there a very dangerous supervolcano like yellowstone in those parts??

top topics

join