It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fermilab Strikes Again:Physics experiment suggests existence of new particle

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   
So, the boys at Fermilab have another whacky idea.

Neutrinos are neutral elementary particles born in the radioactive decay of other particles. The known "flavors" of neutrinos are the neutral counterparts of electrons and their heavier cousins, muons and taus. Regardless of a neutrino's original flavor, the particles constantly flip from one type to another in a phenomenon called "neutrino flavor oscillation."

These 'flavors' are new to me but the way they talk about them tells me that they are previously known particles doing very unusual things. I love to read about crazy physics.

Here is some more...

"These results imply that there are either new particles or forces we had not previously imagined," said Byron Roe, professor emeritus in the Department of Physics, and an author of a paper on the results newly published online in Physical Review Letters.

And more...

''Physicists and astronomers are looking for sterile neutrinos because they could explain some or even all of the dark matter of the universe," Louis said. "Sterile neutrinos could also possibly help explain the matter asymmetry of the universe, or why the universe is primarily composed of matter, rather than antimatter."

Most of this is way over my head but it's cool to know that understanding of Dark Matter is being actively persued.

I am loving what Fermilab are doing at the moment. All the best experiments I have heard of recently have come from these guys

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Sorry, I forgot the original link

New Particle?

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I read in another message board... "This article points to evidence of new particles that may give credence to some of EHT's [Extended Heim Theory's] explanation for dark matter." Cool!

www.physforum.com...

edit on 11/2/2010 by Larryman because: to add link

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Larryman

Thanks for the link. Dark matter is one of the most controversial subjects in astro-physiology. I really hope these guys can figure it out eventually.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Wide-Eyes

Funny to see that they still have not found the particle that they were looking for in the first place.

As power continues to increase in particle accelerators there will be many new discoveries. Scientists have some knowledge going into it but really we have never seen some of the power that these machines are producing.

Amazing times in astrophysics were going through right now.

Pred...

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

Very true man.

It's like walking with a blindfold on, fumbling around trying to figure out your environment.

The experiments terrify me but provided there is no harmful side effects, I can't wait to see what is discovered.

new topics

top topics

join