It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ohhhhhh the Irony! Unemployment black hole...

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   
...i dont get it - sumpin aint right here...

...its my understanding that someone who quits/resigns is not entitled to unemployment benefits... even people who are fired do not always qualify for unemployment benefits...

...i've fired people who immediately went and filed for benefits and thats okay cuz theres nothing thats says a person cant file a claim...

...i've gone thru the arbitration process numerous times as the employer's representative and never lost but that had nothing to do with me being super clever or anything like that... i just followed protocol - and - never fired anyone without benefit of many documented warnings that they had to sign or refuse to sign in front of witnesses...

...i've filed for unemployment benefits twice in 40 years... both times it was because i was unjustly fired... the first time, i won my case (no lawyer, no big deal, just told my side of things)... i never collected those benefits because i couldnt survive on them... it was the principle of the matter that mattered to me... same on the 2nd time but i didnt bother with arbitration... i just wanted revenge... making that jerk sweat and fill out a bunch of paperwork was good enough...

...of course, things couldve changed - most everything else has... it used to be that your credit rating was based upon how much you borrowed v/s how timely you paid off your loans and if you had ever renigged on a contract - stuff like that - but its not that way now and it hasnt been in a decade or so...

...i dont know how anyone could survive on unemployment... besides that, theres the pain in the butt ritual of pretending to look for a job... i guess if you're unmotivated, thats not an issue but i cant imagine living that way...

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by pplrnuts

I'm not sure about the time frame. In the case of this employee she had "credits" built up for about $7500 of eligibility. I don't know how that translates to the extensions and such. It does seem to me that it would be highly unfair for the federal govt to extend the benefits and then charge it to the employers, but that doesn't mean anything.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Wyn Hawks

besides that, theres the pain in the butt ritual of pretending to look for a job... i guess if you're unmotivated, thats not an issue but i cant imagine living that way...

Well the process of pretending to look for work is now entirely online. You don't have to do all that "work" of going out and getting apps and turning it into your representative these days. You just log in from the comfort of your couch, fill out the names of a couple of employers that you pulled from the daily newspaper, and wait for your next check to roll in!

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

I'm not sure about the time frame. In the case of this employee she had "credits" built up for about $7500 of eligibility. I don't know how that translates to the extensions and such. It does seem to me that it would be highly unfair for the federal govt to extend the benefits and then charge it to the employers, but that doesn't mean anything.

Ok, when you had stated specifically 99 weeks, I thought that you were sure about what you were saying. It is my impression that employers are only obligated for 6 months, and thats it. And as you discovered, voluntary termination of an employee means no benefits.

Before getting all worked up next time over nothing, perhaps it would be wise of you to first consider knowing some facts before ranting.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   

The 99 weeks is a fact, I just don't know how much of that is the responsibility of the employer. As I said, at the hearing I learned that she had $7500 worth of "credits" but I don't know how that translates to actual benefits and extensions.

Also, this was my 3rd appeal hearing, and the first one that has been won by our department. The first two hearings went in favor of the employees, so that is why I was upset about having to go to another hearing and probably lose. Turns out that we won this one for a change.

On another note, regardless of my personal experience, in general I find it ridiculous that anybody woudl receive benefits for almost 2 years!! The 99 weeks of unemployment is appalling in my opinion. There are jobs out there. We have 6 openings in my department right now. we just hired 24 people 2 months ago, and we hired 20 a month before that. If someone can't find a job in 6 months or less, then they just aren't trying!

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

You know I followed this closely and its good to hear the results. Congatulations!

Unemployment is one of those things I see as a necessary safety net (which is rare for me), but the amount of outright fraud deeply bothers me.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join