It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Explosions kill more than 30 in Iraq capital

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Explosions kill more than 30 in Iraq capital

uk.reuters.com

(Reuters) - At least 10 explosions rocked mainly Shi'ite areas of the Iraqi capital on Tuesday, killing more than 30 people two days after al Qaeda militants caused a bloodbath when they took hostages in a Christian church.

A police source said up to 33 people were killed and 78 wounded in the series of car and roadside bombs. An interior ministry source said 35 were killed and 75 wounded. Hospital sources could not confirm those numbers.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Eh? I doubt that al-Qaeda militants took those hostages, did they take responsibility? I didn't think that hostage-taking was their style, shut up Reuters.

Anyway, the reported human cost from this devastating attack has risen dramatically since this story first appeared. At the time of writing, the death toll now numbers 62 with 180+ injured by ~10 roadside bombs and VBIEDs in predominantly Shiite areas of Baghdad.

These aren’t isolated incidents, someone is trying to stir up trouble, I know who I suspect of backing these attacks but I’ll let you work that one out for yourselves.

uk.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soshh

Eh? I doubt that al-Qaeda militants took those hostages, did they take responsibility? I didn't think that hostage-taking was their style, shut up Reuters.

Yes.

A statement was posted on a militant website allegedly run by the Islamic State of Iraq, a Sunni militant umbrella group to which al-Qaeda in Iraq belongs, claiming responsibility for the attack.

The statement reportedly said Iraqi Christians would be "exterminated" if Muslim women in Egypt were not freed. It specifically mentioned two women in Egypt who radicals believe are being held against their will after converting to Islam.

Link

And since when has al-qaeda NOT taken hostages? They've been doing it for decades. Zarqawi ring any bells?

edit on 2/11/2010 by badw0lf because: added link

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

Ah, thanks for that! How embarrassing for me.

I meant situations like that, not kidnappings.
edit on 2/11/10 by Soshh because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
The government had better convene and address this severe deterioration in security. Terrorists are having a free for all. From 58 dead at that church over the weekend, and now these bold and brazen attacks in the capitol, things are getting to be untenable. Plus, as was mentioned in the OP, it seems the attacks took place in largely Shiite areas? It seems the insurgents or terrorists as they are called are making attempt to stir up the sectarian violence akin to the dark years of 2006-2007. It took a US military build-up to tackle that issue. If things continue to go down hill, they will have gangs or militias from both sects going house to house slaughtering people as they did before.

Parliament has still not formally convened, and this caretaker government is doing a bang-up job tending to security matters and governance. Furthermore, as the politicians bicker back and forth people are losing confidence in the dream that is a democratic and unified Iraq. In that environment, they are going to pick up arms and turn that place into a bloodbath. If the government is unwilling or unable to look out for everyone's interests as they should, the people are going to take matters into their own hands. That will get very messy.

The situation is perfect for a civil war or a coup. As the government continues to be a lame duck, the door to the hen house is left open for the wolves. Personally, after laying siege on the church and other instances failures in battle involving Iraqi Forces, they raise doubt about their overall effectiveness? To be fair, I can't completely right them off because they are trying. However, if they can't get a unified government to convene and back them, all their efforts are for nothing. As the warring political blocs continue to drag their feet, the security situation is going to continue to deteriorate. It is getting bad over there.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Jakes51

An old buddy of mine just got home from a stint in Iraq.. he describes the Iraqi forces as pathetic for the most part, they're hated & there's an automatic green light to kill/kidnap them on sight. Most are not soldiers, or even want to be, they're un employed dudes more loyal to their paycheck than their US puppet masters. They are literally an army of rats & traitors who sold out their country-folk siding with occupiers for a paycheck... many walk off their post the instant something better comes along. He used to go check up on Iraqi units at their respective HQs and found many either were not there or were sitting around in civilian clothes because wearing the uniform & going on patrol was too dangerous.

One unit claimed all their equipment was stolen.. turns out they sold it to so called insurgents. Another was ordered to into a particularly deadly area, 1/2 of them quit rather than go.

Basically they're heart isn't into dying for the GOP & DNC cause which they distrust. Meanwhile the freedom from America fighters are hardcore and down for their cause of kicking out US occupiers and erasing the puppet govt.

He said this wasn't a war, more a battle of wills and the rat forces lack the will to die for DC... FWIW

new topics

top topics

join