It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Create Paleozoic Sized Dragonflies.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   

UPDATE: I heard from Dr Vanden Brooks that while the Paleozoic dragonflies had wingspans reaching up to 70cm in width, his dragonflies are only 15 per cent larger than normal ones. Disappointing, but at least we can sleep tight tonight.

Source...

Thank goodness. I don't want to see a 2 foot long dragonfly for any reason.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I think it would be soooo cool. The little dragonflies are friendly, maybe the big ones would be too? Imagine the mosquitoes they would eat. As long as they don't pick up a taste for small animals and start flying off with them

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Yet another link, for the idiots who assume everything is a hoax . . .

Raising Giant Insects to Unravel Ancient Oxygen

ScienceDaily (Oct. 30, 2010) — The giant dragonflies of ancient Earth with wingspans of up to 70 centimeters (28 inches) are generally attributed to higher oxygen atmospheric levels in the atmosphere in the past. New experiments in raising modern insects in various oxygen-enriched atmospheres have confirmed that dragonflies grow bigger with more oxygen, or hyperoxia.

"Our main interest is in how paleo-oxygen levels would have influenced the evolution of insects," said John VandenBrooks of Arizona State University in Tempe. To do that they decided to look at the plasticity of modern insects raised in different oxygen concentrations. The team raised cockroaches, dragonflies, grasshoppers, meal worms, beetles and other insects in atmospheres containing different amounts of oxygen to see if there were any effects.

One result was that dragonflies grew faster into bigger adults in hyperoxia. However, cockroaches grew slower and did not become larger adults.

Amazing creatures, dragonflies -

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
that looks just like the giant bug that Ross had on his apartment wall on Friends.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kailassa
Yet another link, for the idiots who assume everything is a hoax . . .

What us
IDIOTS
professed was a hoax was the claim that

Scientists Create Paleozoic Sized Dragonflies.,

Originally posted by DrLovecraft

Once the air was right for breeding, Dr John VandenBrooks and his team then successfully managed to breed dragonflies with wingspans of roughly 70cm.

And according to this we were right

UPDATE: I heard from Dr Vanden Brooks that while the Paleozoic dragonflies had wingspans reaching up to 70cm in width, his dragonflies are only 15 per cent larger than normal ones. Disappointing, but at least we can sleep tight tonight.

edit on 2-11-2010 by tarifa37 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I would personally like if insects, not spiders, were this size. It would be impossible for them to get in the cracks of your home and bug you.

You could just walk around with a tennis racket for protection.

A spider this size though, holy crap, I don't think I would have to worry because if I saw it I would just die of a heart attack.

Pred...

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Wouldn't there be videos taken of these things flying around their oxygen enriched environments if it were indeed true???

Oh yeah....., if these things were real they wouldn't be taking little mosquitos, they would be taking little birds.

edit on 2-11-2010 by sparrowstail because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Oh wow! I am not sure whether to be amazed or terrified
This does raise some interesting ethical questions though.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Well, nevermind how dangerous this is. Talk about a waste of time, and a waste of money.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   
yeah...that's pretty fake.

People think that's real?

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Increase the oxygen , increase the "yield". lol
its like hydroponics, but for creatures instead of plants. lol
Very cool.

and dragonflies are amazing creatures!
But, they way they appear, before they become actual flying dragon flies..
is soo nasty.. ..

I would not want to see that super sized!

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Where are the pictures and video of this if it is true?

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I dont believe this...wouldnt dragonflies today be way more different than the ones from millions of years ago? Not just in size, but in physical attributes? Maybe they used to have a thinner exoskeleton, because im not sure something that size would be able to fly unless its wings were incredibly powerful, and Im assuming that higher oxygen levels dont grow muscle mass...

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   

As far as the giant roaches, we already have them here in Florida; they call them "palmetto bugs"

You forgot the worst part....they FLY (and generally AT YOU!!!)

I hate those damn things...(and they scare the pee out of my wife)

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   
the edges of the wings do not correspond to the background in the image. the scientist blends perfectly with the background of the picture, but the "inscet" doesnot. if you look at the wing edges there seem to be a bordr around it. also what is the background?

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by tarifa37
reply to post by DrLovecraft

Two words" NO WAY". I simply don't believe it. This would be world wide news if true. Where is the link to the story? All you have is a woman holding a large dragonfly model. This should be moved to the Hoax forum.

edit on 2-11-2010 by tarifa37 because: (no reason given)

Actual science is never world wide news. Only dumb politicians, rappers, and other famous crazy people ever make world wide news.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 11:49 PM
link   
They had better not try and breed wasps that size because that would really suck, but dragon flies are fairly harmless one that size might have the mandivals to give you a bit of a nip though.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I got banned for less of a hoax than this one. The title is a hoax. Please lable it so.

posted on Mar, 23 2020 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Where are the photos of the giant dragonflies? I requested information from Dr. VandenBrooks because of back approx within years? maybe, anyway, we had a dragonfly about approx 1 foot or so long with a wingspan as large yet no one has ever come up with a reason for such a large dragonfly in this day and age. when I came across the article it was the only thing ever in years that made any sense of why this insect would have become so large, beautiful but I'm phobic and it even scared the groundskeeper, he swore he safely take it off my door frame and set it free. yet he never replied, and I've never seen a photo of anything like this before nor my son nor the groundskeeper. the dragonfly was in Antioch, California, while this study was in Arizona. It's the only explanation, could it have got loose and freedom to go where ever it wanted, lol it could have carried luggage, but that large could that length of travel been doable?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join