It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sharpton meets with L.A. police chief to discuss beating

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Sharpton visits Police Chief , we knew that was coming, The rev was there to "cool" racial tensions after the video taped police brutality last week.

Bratton said Sharpton brought a valuable perspective to the investigation of the beating of Stanley Miller because the incident raises issues not only of possible police brutality but also of race relations and civil rights.

The suspect was attacked by an "Hispanic" officer who was attacking under the impression that the suspect had a weapon, which ended up to be a pair of wire cutters.

Police Brutality?....I think yes, excessive force was used and the officer let his emotions get the best of him.

Race related civil rights violation?.... I don't think so...

www.signonsandiego.com... ing.html

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Had the man that was beaten been white, I do not think Sharpton would do a thing. Also, if the man has wire cutters in his hand, while he was on the ground...those could be mistaken as a gun. Plus this guy had been suspected of stealing a car earlier...I'm not defending the actions, but I don't think the guy should lose his job for this.

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 02:59 AM
link   
I agree that if the subject were white, Big Al would have had pressing business in NYC that would have prevented a cross-country trip. I think that he is looking to step into Jesse Jackson's shoes in these situations.

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I think when the officer was identified as hispanic, the rev lost some major media steam as I still have not seen a report on tv about this meeting.

It also appeared to be a white officer who was the one to try and cool the attacking officer down, pulling him away from the suspect.

Now, hopefully the investigation can be completed without the "air of racism", which in this case just doesn't cut it.

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Plato986
Had the man that was beaten been white, I do not think Sharpton would do a thing.

I'm no Sharpton fan, but you are right. If the suspect was white, Sharpton wouldn't do a thing. Whites have a whole legal system slanted towards them, they don't need people to raise awareness of injustice on the level that blacks do. Unfortunately, the media likes to cover the flamboyant Sharpton. He is trying to set himself up to be the next Jessie Jackson, but he has no where near the legitimacy that Jackson has.

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Calling Jesse Jackson legitimate is being kind. Hs is a shakedown artist, pure and simple.

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 06:46 PM
link   
YOu both are being kind. Sharpton and Jackson both lack sincerity and legitimacy, IMHO.
Doesn't big Al have enough to do in NYC without going across the country...oh, WAIT, he's still running for President, guys, right????

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Jackson and Sharpton are a disgrace to the black community. Being white I guess most would say I don't have a say, but there are so many great black leaders making a difference for all people in the country and only these two get any followers or publicity. I understand that the extreme always get the headlines, but isn't it time for the black community to stand up and say enough is enough. They are both bad role models and sharpton has made many racists comments and shown many sepretist and racist actions. It's terrible. And yes, black people can be recists also, not just whites. I have many black freinds, and I'm not just saying that, that feel the same, but have just as many that will defend their actions no matter what. I guess all races have this problem. Too bad all the good black role models are actors and athletes, instead of persons active in roles in the community. I hope someone peaceful and sensable like MLK comes along again soon. The country and the world would be better for it. Most whites want this, and are tired of being labeled racist when most believe in the same principles of MLK.

Just my $0.02

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Whites have a whole legal system slanted towards them, they don't need people to raise awareness of injustice on the level that blacks do.

i guess all the non whites that are cops, probation officers, clerks, judges, jailors....they're prejudice against those who are non white, right? are they "uncle toms"???

i might believe this if the "whole legal system" were white. the truth is its not. in fact its full of people who arent white or male.

or are you saying that if an injustice is done to you and you're white it should be overlooked?

and why in gods name is sharpton meddling in this? why is it automatically assumed by some people that if a black person is being beaten that its because of racism? i'm not saying its not, there is that possibility but there is also the possiblity that this cop just let his temper get the best of him.

more presuming the cop is guilty of soemthign than the criminal is.

at this point i'll be surprised if the criminal is charged with anything lest a judge or a prosecutor be accused of being racist.

[edit on 29-6-2004 by ThePrankMonkey]

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThePrankMonkey

Whites have a whole legal system slanted towards them, they don't need people to raise awareness of injustice on the level that blacks do.

or are you saying that if an injustice is done to you and you're white it should be overlooked?

I never said injustices towards whites should be overlooked. I said injustice towards minorities are more likely to be overlooked.

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Anyone who thinks Sharpton gives a blip about "victims" is seriously misled. Big Al loves power and wants more.

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Whites get beaten up and mistreated too, and it's often passed off as "he's a criminal, he deserves it". As far as the cop being Hispanic, it doesn't matter except that playing that race card won't get as much attention or hype as playing the White Devil card always does.

And if it's pointed out that the white cop tried to settle things down, I'm sure there will be some criticism of why. There will be some hidden agenda attached to his actions because a white guy, especially a cop, isn't going to do something just because it's the right thing to do! Somehow this will be blown into something huge when it's actually not huge at all.

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Ok I gotta jump in here because I've met the guy over 100 times.

Let's understand one thing about the Reverend Al. This man dedicates every hour of his life to further the cause of Al Sharpton. He spends days, weeks, months, and years to spread the message of Al Sharpton. He cares NOTHING for any other person on this planet. Period.

To answer the above question, would the Reverend Al have raised hell if a white suspect got his ass kicked by cops, the answer is no. Here's another one for you... would the Reverend Al go all out to support the victim in a case that would have no publicity? The answer is no.

Let me tell you a little bit about the Reverend. He is charming. He has one of the most delightful senses of humor I have ever encountered. Anyone who has met him will tell you the same thing. But the good ends there.

This is someone who is a master hoaxer (use google and look up Tawana Brawley). Someone who is a master of misusing funds. Someone who is a master at making himself the center of attention and actually pushing crying family members aside so he can shove himself into the spotlight.

For some reason (probably the charm) this man is still around. He's still seen as a voice in society. The black community at large would do well to remove any idea of him being their "spokesman". Unfortunately they won't because he is so damn good at getting attention.

Make no mistake about it, the man has accomplished some good in his life when it comes to getting issues the attention they deserve, but his motives are purely self serving.

new topics

top topics

join