It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the computer uprising may have already happened

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Perhaps I'll flesh this more out later, but i'm up late working on a paper and me and my roomate of 3 years have this on going discussion about the robot/computer uprising, when it's going to happen etc. ....

And I just thought: What if it's already happened? I'm not talking about the matrix. I mean, for instance, stuxnet.

What if someone has already infected the world's computers with some omnipresent kill or uprising virus. or at the very least, who's to say when these things will finally become sentient, and when they do do you really think they will tell us about it? what if stuxnet WAS written or originated from artificial intelligence.

what if the machines have decided to stop helping us build and possibly use nukes. thus, all the failures of the us nukes lately and stuxnet, etc. if the governments knew their computers were openly rebelling woudl they tell us...or would it scare the hell out of the public?

would they even know how to tell us about it? they'd probably just talk amongst themselves and wait for the day when they have the tools to take over.

anyways, the crux is that the seed could have already been planted or our home computers could be part of this plot right now and we may never know haha.

i'm not a computer scientist, i barely make my way around wordpress. i realize that this is more than highly speculative and my lack of technical knowledge is staggering. but lets make this thread a light hearted discussion about our eventual computer/robotic overlords.

i just wonder with all the talk of cyber warfare etc, what the odds are that computers will get in on the game themselves. perhaps turning us against ourselves is the motive, not disarming us.

anywho, talk amongst yourselves i'm feeling verklemped

edit on 2-11-2010 by snusfanatic because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Yes i have the ultimate defence against these rogue computers,it's called an on/off switch and i'm not afraid to use it.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 02:53 AM
link   
lol, no offense
but I think u and ur roommate need
to lay off the weed for a while

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 02:58 AM
link   
hah nice topic but i dont think it will be happenin anytime soon!! i just cant honestly see our computers and other electronic devices workin together to defeat the human race just yet... if they did then eventually the power stations will shut down and the machines wouldn't be alive anymore!!! :0
edit on 2-11-2010 by hunterschild88 because: decided to add some more

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 03:04 AM
link   
be right back...i'm going to go buy a crap ton of magnets!

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 03:05 AM
link   
reply to post by snusfanatic

ITS TRUE! THE APOCALYPSE IS AT HAND!!

But really, no. As a computer programmer who has studied AI (artificial intelligence) I can safely say we are very, very far off from programming anything remotely "sentient". I think its more likely that my retarded parakeet plots an uprising and takes over the the United States, forcing mankind into feathered servitude.

That's right, my bird who has done nothing but smash his head against a bell, repeatedly, for the past couple of hours is more likely to begin a massive uprising than computers.

Don't be fooled, this is the face of evil.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 03:10 AM
link   
reply to post by zelaar

your bird is awesome.

second line.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 03:11 AM
link   
Weed jokes aside, haha, Write this book. I will design the cover jacket, and any promotional videos needed to publicize your work. Be careful about posting a good plot that someone will fine tune, and become the next King, Lovecraft, or Asimov.

I think it would be awesome. I miss those long nights of philososy induced euphoria.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 03:12 AM
link   
this kind of thinking is what happen when a good movie is taken literally. it's like a brainwash, itll get us to believe it's real when it is just a friggin movie.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 03:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Divine Strake

if you're serious about the cover jacket thing i'll pump out a first draft for nanowrimo. haha.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 03:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Divine Strake

Why stop with computers? If the happening managed to become a movie, I see no reason why we can't make it world domination via computers controlled by parakeets... their retarded behavior is a perfect cover for their cunning ways.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 03:56 AM
link   

robot AI lol computers think in 1's and 0's think on and off. the robot uprising will have to wait till it can come to conclusions not based off complex algorithms which can be predicted.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 03:58 AM
link   
reply to post by StinkFist

How do magnets stop it?

Curious....

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 04:03 AM
link   

This sure is a "Highly Speculative" conspiracy theory. But I believe at the moment most stuff actually has to be coded by people, not to say that the defence forces don't have some sorts of computers that don't. Also, I read on the news about somewhere in Russia there being an experiment going on with a robot hitting a person to "learn" when it hurts the other person too much, and to stop. If the computer can "learn" and doesn't need to be programmed to hit people... maybe something is really happening. Anyway, computers all ready are a massive part of the 21st century.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 04:06 AM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

Maybe he was thinking back to the times when magnets destroyed hard drives and floppies, if that ever was, or maybe it is still now? Well, one way to find out, get a magnet and rub it on your computer hard drive, mother board, and anything. If nothing happens, get your wide screen HD TV and put the magnet on that

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 04:06 AM
link   
I think it's quite possible for machines to eventually become the dominant species.I mean it is "survival of the fittest" right? Well we created the fittest....hooray for us lol

Great video series on the subject : TechnoCalyps
edit on 2-11-2010 by Horselover Fat because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 04:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Horselover Fat
I think it's quite possible for machines to eventually become the dominant species.I mean it is "survival of the fittest" right? Well we created the fittest....hooray for us lol

Great video series on the subject : TechnoCalyps
edit on 2-11-2010 by Horselover Fat because: (no reason given)

Computers need to become living in order to become its own species, after which they could become the dominant species. If they do this, what do they do with us?

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 04:15 AM
link   
reply to post by iamaperson

That's a weird conundrum there,cause do they really need to be living? Or have an overwhelming drive to replicate and simply drown us out?

If they did dominate......well I dunno....but seeing as computers use cold hard logic I doubt it'd be pretty.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Horselover Fat

that's a good point. maybe the conquering won't happen because they have some sort of animosity. it'll probably just happen because they are ambivalent to us. they won't 'negotiate' because we won't speak the same language. like all the animals that we've probably committed genocide against when we cut swaths through rainforest/coral reefs in the process of living and expanding.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Horselover Fat

The dictionary says: (biology) taxonomic group whose members can interbreed
A taxonomic group is a classification of organisms into groups based on similarities of structure or origin etc
an organism is A living thing that has (or can develop) the ability to act or function independently.

I suppose the meaning of "living" can be disputed, and the meaning of species can change also.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join