It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asteroid 2004 MC To pass Or maybe Hit Early tommarow

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:
E_T

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by chrisnolefan
i dont think it would be too big a deal if it did hit, it may burn up beofre it hit the earth.

Depends on composition.
If it's porous rock or gravel it could explode in atmosphere with power of tens megatons, like what happened in Tunguska. (effects are same as with airblast of very big thermonuclear bomb)
If it's denser material it would hit ground causing crater similar to Barringer.

www.lpl.arizona.edu...

But this isn't close, there have been bigger ones and closer, 2002NY40 passed earth from distance of 500 000 km. (it's movement showed well even in five seconds when watching with telescope)

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 08:18 AM
link   
mo_trot

The asteroid you mentioned was reported two days after it made it's approach to earth.

From the NEO website:
The object, designated 2004 FH, is roughly 30 meters (100 feet) in diameter and will pass just 43,000 km (26,500 miles, or about 3.4 Earth diameters) above the Earth's surface on March 18th at 5:08 PM EST (2:08 PM PST, 22:08 UTC).

Asteroid 2004 FH's point of closest approach with the Earth will be over the South Atlantic Ocean. Using a good pair of binoculars, the object will be bright enough to be seen during this close approach from areas of Europe, Asia and most of the Southern Hemisphere.

Now, today is the 29th. Were is this 2004 MC now? It's 8:30 am Central time US

[edit on 29-6-2004 by gman55]

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Sometimes I can have rather evil thoughts. Right now I'm thinking of a few places that I wouldn't mind seeing a 30 foot asteroid land on. Doubt it will happen though. By the looks of things, it will most likely not come close at all, and if it did, most would burn up in the atmosphere.

Thanks for posting this. IF it does happen, at least I had a heads up.

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mynaeris
I have a question. Why do people on ATS feel the need to mock others without bringing any new information to the table? If you don't think the poster has any validity ignore it. If there is a problem with his/her argument debate it. But trying to humiliate others is more of a reflection of yourself then of the other person.

I think it is indicative of a small head. Now the question is, which head?

I had the same problem on my thread about crop circles. It does get annoying when you're trying to form an intelligent thread about an interesting topic.

I know that I've made jokes before but they were usually in context with the thread.

Welcome, children of all ages...

As for the proximity of this particular asteroid:

Object Name:2004 MC
Close Approach Date:2004-Jun-29
Miss Distance (AU):0.0094 (approximately 640000 miles)
Miss Distance (LD):3.7 (approximately 645000 miles)
Estimated Diameter:62 m - 140m (180ft-420ft)
Relative Velocity (km/s):8.69

It's a close one, astronomically-speaking but not one to worry about. Its size is larger than previously reported in this thread however.

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Thanks for getting the correct size. It looks like they dont even know how big it really is. It is between 140feet to 420 feet, what ever the exact numbers were.

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I do belive it missed us thank god.........was a close little sucker though it made me sweat

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Sometimes I can have rather evil thoughts. Right now I'm thinking of a few places that I wouldn't mind seeing a 30 foot asteroid land on. Doubt it will happen though. By the looks of things, it will most likely not come close at all, and if it did, most would burn up in the atmosphere.

Thanks for posting this. IF it does happen, at least I had a heads up.

Your welcome

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join