It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asteroid 2004 MC To pass Or maybe Hit Early tommarow

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Asteroid 2004 MC within VERY close Proxemity to earth

see for yourself

Possible hit?

neo.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 04:05 PM
link   
It seems miles off

I dont believe it will

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 04:11 PM
link   
neo.jpl.nasa.gov...

Here is a video that you can see the range. I think it will come super close, I dont think it will hit. Its only like 30 feet across.

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I checked the neo.jpl.nasa.com link and it would appear that Asteroid 2004MC will come within 0.0094 AU from the earth, which translates as less than 4 lunar distances. Which is a long long way away and it is a fairly small asteroid.

Lets wait and see.

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Truth_Hunter_1976
see for yourself
Possible hit?
neo.jpl.nasa.gov...

(sigh)

No.

Look at the data. It's going to pass at a distance of 0.012 AU
Now the Moon is 0.02mumblesomething AU away from us. The asteroid is a long, long way off.

And it's tiny. At 30 feet across, it might not cross more than one state before it broke into pieces and faded.

[edit on 28-6-2004 by Byrd]

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Anyone see the Pictures of the Astroid that expolded Over russia in the early 1900 Flatened 800 acers of forrest i think

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Agree, this one most probably wont hit us.
Too far away, minimum 3.65 lunar distances.
There was another one (MR1) passing us some 1.4 lunar distances away just a few days ago.
That one had a better chance of getting influcted by our gravity.
Our gravity holds our moon in orbit around us remember, it would surely do something to a small 26 meter stone passing that close. Not to mention the gravity of our moon itself, strong enough to make our ocean rise and fall (tides)...

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I have actually heard that each year our moon Moves a Few Inches away from earth and a Loooooong time from now....it could be a problem....

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Even if it were to hit it would not be a global castrophy, its too small to do a lot of damage. BEing over 3 LDs its doesnt look like it will get captured by our griavity.

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Anyone see the Pictures of the Astroid that expolded Over russia in the early 1900 Flatened 800 acers of forrest i think

You must be talking about this event in 1908 in Russia.
1908 Blast in Russia

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 05:03 PM
link   
We're all doomed. It's going to pass so close that every nuclear power will see it as a possible ICBM, everybody will go into panic, they'll have to invent a new DEFCON for this, and all thats gonna be left is cockroaches! If you haven't been laid yet, you better get to work now!

(laughs hysterically at the the fear of small objects passing over 1,000,000 kilometers from us)

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Vagabond
We're all doomed. It's going to pass so close that every nuclear power will see it as a possible ICBM, everybody will go into panic, they'll have to invent a new DEFCON for this, and all thats gonna be left is cockroaches! If you haven't been laid yet, you better get to work now!

Now thats Funny

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I have a question. Why do people on ATS feel the need to mock others without bringing any new information to the table? If you don't think the poster has any validity ignore it. If there is a problem with his/her argument debate it. But trying to humiliate others is more of a reflection of yourself then of the other person.

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 06:33 PM
link   

see for yourself

Possible hit?

neo.jpl.nasa.gov...

I wouldn't necessarily worry about this asteroid if I were you especially at the distance is will be when it approaches and passes by us.

Here is a link for all of the Near Earth Objects neo.jpl.nasa.gov... it was posted earlier on a different thread.

Notice the (H) factor = H (Vm) Absolute V-magnitude (in general, smaller H implies larger asteroid diameter).

The astroid 2004 MC has an H factor of 23.13 which if you look at the link here neo.jpl.nasa.gov... it is somewhere around 65m-150m (meters).

At the estimated distance from Earth (0.0097 AU) even at this size it will not even come close to the Moon (unless NASA is WAY WAY off with their distance data). The distance between the Earth and the moon is 0.00257 AU.

Even if the moon is moving further away from earth it's not going to move that far before tomorrow.. (lets hope)

I'm more worried about some of the LARGER asteroids that may come closer to the Moon and possibly pass between the Earth and Moon.

And if it (2004 MC) does hit the Earth I'll be discarding all of these NASA websites and probably be kissing my own bootie goodbye. *sigh*

AngelIC

Edit: to fix the Links - they don't work in parenthesis.. hehe

[edit on 28-6-2004 by angelIC]

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 07:14 PM
link   
itll be a long way off. sence they dont even show ears moon in those things. and if they did it would be at the same distance the astroid is.

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Agreed its to far and too small anyhow. I'm surprised NASA could even see a rock that small.

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 11:20 PM
link   
i dont think it would be too big a deal if it did hit, it may burn up beofre it hit the earth. but how much will the earths gravity affect it? being small, it shouldnt be hard for anything to exert enough force to affect it substatially

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Correct me if im wrong, but

0.01 au = 93,000,000 * .01 = 930,000 miles

isn't that almost 4 times the distance to the Moon?
doesn't seem all that close to me.
I believe there was a recent asteroid that actually was inside the orbit radius of the Moon, that is when i start to worry

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 12:33 AM
link   
"I believe there was a recent asteroid that actually was inside the orbit radius of the Moon, that is when i start to worry"

That is correct. It was in Jan. or Feb., can't remember the specific date. I do remember that it was 100m in diameter. NASA discovered it 2 days before announcing it. The delayed announcement was, arguably, attributed to the uncertainty of whether or not it would hit us on the third day.

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 12:50 AM
link   

I have actually heard that each year our moon Moves a Few Inches away from earth and a Loooooong time from now....it could be a problem....

one inch (scientific american, last year's issue) if i remember so.

not a problem. as of now. you gotta wait a loooooong time for it to be a problem man

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join