It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

‘Avatar’ director James Cameron stands beside First Nations leaders to condemn Alberta oil sands

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 12:06 AM
link   

‘Avatar’ director James Cameron stands beside First Nations leaders to condemn Alberta oil sands

This story is related to this thread that I wrote earlier. James Cameron toured the Alberta oil sands and joined with First Nations leaders there to ask the Canadian government to stop the area from being developed.
edit on 2-11-2010 by Skid Mark because: correction

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 12:22 AM
link   
It's a little late now, the place already looks like the far side of the moon. I've visited it as part of an A&E firm developing some of their refineries. Even when it was in it's natural state it was a mess. There's been a great deal of development in terms of pipelines and refineries, including development of towns to accommodate personnel (Fort McMurray). By now the damage is done, the waterway's have been so contaminated with runoff, about the only saving grace as far as Humans are concerned is that the site is too remote to impact us, just those hapless fools working there (and making serious $$ too, from what I've heard).

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 12:49 AM
link   
amazing these famous people ... its all about personal marketing

if they really cared about this world, they would do something, instead of these PR moves

if anything, it proves the ignorance of these people

well, thats my perspective
edit on 2/11/10 by Faiol because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

I'm really sorry to hear that. I thought the oil companies would get their way.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Faiol
amazing these famous people ... its all about personal marketing

if they really cared about this world, they would do something, instead of these PR moves

if anything, it proves the ignorance of these people

well, thats my perspective
edit on 2/11/10 by Faiol because: (no reason given)

Actually, I believe that by being there, he's helping to call attention to what's going on. That's a start.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Good. And I hope that sell out of a Prime Minister we have actually dose something.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Unless the people we export our gas and oil to figure out another energy/fuel source, production isn't going to slow down. I haven't been down to south Saskatchewan, but there is a lot of gas and oil production going on there too. Not sure what the method is though.

Everyone is talking about alternative "green" sources, but yet the need for gas and oil is up. Plastics is also a huge culprit here. Have you noticed in the grocery stores, things that used to be in glass jars are now in plastic? Almost everything, and this is also an unhealthier way of packaging, some plastics leach harmful substances into the food, which we then eat.

www.eia.doe.gov...
atlas.nrcan.gc.ca...

Right now they're also ramping up the fracking for gas. It's expected to really get going over the next couple of years.

money.canoe.ca...

In Alberta, shale-gas drilling is also still in the early stages. Unlike in Quebec, however, Alberta is a province with a well-established energy sector that already has the framework in place to regulate hydraulic fracking and drilling for shale gas.

If anyone gets it together enough to figure out how to make nuclear energy safer, we also have lots of high quality uranium up north.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I forgot to add the link for the article. Major face palm here. I can't edit to add it so I'm putting it here, if you're interested. Missing link for story.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

Mining uranium isn't all that safe, either. There have been high rates of cancer and other problems because of it.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Skid Mark

www.appropedia.org...

Yeah, you're right. Radon poisoning.
I wish they ( TPTB) would invest more research and development into solar, geothermal, wind, biofuels, and whatever other types of safe energy and fuels that are out there. Unfortunately, they will exhaust all the dangerous things first, like the fracking going on with the shale gas. That's putting water and people's health at risk right now. I'm thinking it might prove to be even worse than the oil sands. I hate to think of how much damage they are going to do to the environment, both air quality and water, and people's health before they look at safe alternatives.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by gandhi
Good. And I hope that sell out of a Prime Minister we have actually dose something.

Not likely:

"Canada's performance here in Copenhagen builds on two years of delay, obstruction and total inaction. This government thinks there's a choice between environment and economy, and for them, tar sands beats climate every time. Canada's emissions are headed nowhere but up. For all this and more, we name Canada the Colossal Fossil," Wikler said.

tcktcktck.org...

Embarrassing.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   
The planet as a whole doesn't matter. Life doesn't matter. Humanity doesn't either. We are all tools they use to get one thing and one thing only: money. The industrial priests tell us what we want, need, have to think, or have to have in order for our lives to be complete. If we die or fall ill in order for them to get what they want, that's okay. Sacrifices must be made on the altar of greed. The all mighty dollar is the God of this world and we all must bow down to it, so that they can climb to the top on our broken backs. I think these videos pretty much sum it all up.

Nine Inch Nails - Head Like a Hole

John Trudell - Rich Man's War

edit on 2-11-2010 by Skid Mark because: grammar

top topics

join