It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Global Warming is not only NOT a hoax, but it is about 10,000 times worst than your worst nightmare.

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by amc621
reply to post by The_Liberator

Yeah, that's kind of what I expected. One, you might help yourself with the global piece if you didn't say you were a UFO expert. Also, I think you would get your message across about global warming with more scientific facts rather than opinions.

I believe there is some climate changes going on with our planet. I honestly don't know what the effect these changes are going to do to our everyday life. I don't think anyone REALLY knows.

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but I'm not ready to believe the apocolapse is on us just yet.

I find the subject of UFO's fascinating so I read about it as a hobby. If that hurts my credibility, then so be it.

As for my presenting opinions, everything I have said and everything Dan Miller said in the video are verifiable facts (with the one exception being my opinion that civilization is about to collapse because of runaway global warming....that is my opinion.)

If you don't want to take the time to research or even watch the video that I posted, that is your choice. At least watch this one: (it's short)

www.youtube.com...

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by thektotheg
Furthermore, after catching up on the posts...

I love how everyone who disagrees with YOUR opinion is presenting an UNINFORMED opinion. You're a megalomaniac. Not only are you sure that what you were LED to believe is true, you've made the classic error of closing yourself off to any information that goes against it. I'd love to hear how you're able to definitively speak on the state of climate change, despite REAL experts in the field being unable to do so.
edit on 2-11-2010 by thektotheg because: (no reason given)

They are not disagreeing my my opinion, they are disagreeing with the facts. Big difference.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Interesting topic title. I am unable to view the fora tv link (from work), however I am a believer in global climate change. IMHO, although I'm not very well read on the subject, I believe it's another topic that the average american views as "alarmist" so they automatically don't believe it. Same as UFOs. It's this mentality that something "can't be real" just because the implications could be very scary.

I have a friend who told me once that essentially "climates change naturally and man has nothing to do with it. There is proof that 10,000 years ago they were growing crops in Greenland, so everything will be fine." The funny thing is that is exactly my point!

People fail to realize that we have built a huge civilization in the last 7,000 years. We aren't nomadic tribes of hunters who number in the thousands and can easily move to another area to forage for food. There are billions of people on this planet living in what they believe are permanent residences. Our society is built around commerce and industry, not hunting and gathering. A huge climate swing would be catastrophic for our civilization. Even if the repercussions do not become ultra-serious for centuries.

These kinds of problems demand a true Type 1 Global society that makes intelligent decisions, and not those based on superstition, ignorance, and individual greed.

Looking forward to watching the presentation later when I get home.

edit on 2-11-2010 by Scramjet76 because: spl

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by The_Zomar
Did people forget about climategate?

False.

The climategate scientists were exonerated.

climateprogress.org...-3 4396

blogs.ajc.com...

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Okay - Here we go again, I applaud all your scholarly "study" into this subject (which culminated in you posting a single video as "evidence"). There's only one problem - the only materials that you appear to be "studying" are materials that have been part of the hoax. Before I go on, let me say this - The Earth Warms and Cools NATURALLY, and this Natural Cycle of warming and cooling (1) has been seen in recorded history and (2) cannot be fully understood because we've only had the technology to study this issue for a few decades - which is NOTHING compared to the billions of years the Earth has existed.
A short history lesson to back up # 1 above - Do you know why GREENLAND is called GREENLAND? Its because when the Vikings colonized it 1000 years ago, it wasn't covered in Ice! The Vikings built settlements and raised crops and livestock there. But about 700 years ago, there was a quite sudden change and the Earth began a rapid cooling which led to the "Little Ice Age" - which lasted for hundreds of years....there is PLENTY of historical evidence documenting this.
Common Sense time - (1) was Greenland warmer because of the Vikings over-use of SUV's and Personal Watercraft? Of course not! (2) In Mr. Gore's movie as well as his speech (not to mention YOUR post and that video) Anthropomorphic Global Climate change is caused by an overabundance of carbon and other greenhouse gasses being produced by humans and their machines. Mr. Gore also claims (as does your post) that this "crisis" could cause the end of Humankind in a very short period. Put yourself in Mr. Gore's position for a moment - if you KNEW this to be the ABSOLUTE TRUTH, would you STILL be jetting all over the world in private planes, using convoys of armored gas guzzling SUV's (in most cases leaving the engines running while you gave more than an HOUR speech on the evils of our technology)?? Would you STILL be living in several homes around the world - with your main home being the size of a Super Walmart?? Al Gore's "carbon footprint" is larger than everyone I know put together !
History + Common Sense = HOAX (not so much a hoax as an attempt to profit from a natural earth/sun cycle!)
No videos needed - CASE CLOSED

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zippidee

Originally posted by The_Liberator

See that big red fiery thing in the sky? Look up once in a while and you may notice it (unless you too are here in Ireland where it’s quite rare). Well, that’s the thing that’s causing solar climate change.

False.

www.skepticalscience.com...

Watch the video I posted in this thread and educate yourself before spouting uninformed opinions. If you don't know what you are talking about, you are not entitled to an opinion on the matter.

I havent been a member long but I think I speak for more than just myself when I say "you have no right to say this". Facts and opinions are on two separate sides of the fence. You are comming off a bit tyrannical and it deters from your point that you are so emphatically trying to make.

Point taken. My apologies.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

The Earth will do the same as it did to the dinosaurs before us?????

Asteroid's Phone: *riiiiiing riiiiing*

Asteroid: Hello?

Earth: Hey, um, I know you're busy and all....floating around in space and stuff....

Asteroid: Yea? What about it?

Earth: So, I've got this problem with some large reptiles walking around and not polluting the environment aside from MASSIVE CO2 emissions coming from their fat mouths...

Asteroid: Oh, so you want me to....

Earth: Uh huh, I need you to smash into me and kill them all off. You know, because I'm specifically asking you to.

Asteroid: Sure, brb, LOL.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by HYADEAN2025
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Monkton has been debunked over and over.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I lost interest when he said he is "...part of Al Gore's group..." There is a HUGE force pushing global warming without real facts, but as more and more of the SCIENTISTS [not politicians] who conceived the notion, stand up, resign, and admit their hoax is a HOAX, the steam is condensing and their lies are struggling to keep hold as the rain falls and begins to cool the earth that they 'heated' up with their fear mongering.

I'm eating Reese's right now, and am more than content as I consider walking out to my diesel pick up truck to take my girlfriend, who could easily drive her gas friendly Honda, all the way downtown to class, for the fun of it. Then who knows...maybe I'll go water the lawn, twice, after it rains this afternoon. If there's time, I might even take my smoking hot girlfriend to the airport for a short flight while I build my hours, again for the fun of it...and if there's still more time this evening, since it's still nice and warm here in Austin thanks to your "global warming", I may even take the boat out with her for a little night time booze cruise. Who knows?

Take more time out of your day to fear monger and gain some political steam, and I, being the tax payer who doesn't get to vote on where my tax money goes for research and the like, will continue to live my sweet ass life while you sin uncontrollably. I'm a creationist and I proudly believe the world is OLDER than 6000 years.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by The_Liberator
Incorrect. There was a short period in the 70's where the temps dropped globally and scientists theorized that the particulate being emitted by human emissions would push temps cold enough that it would set off a bunch of feedbacks that could send us into an ice age.

They quickly learned that this was not the case. Case closed.

Global warming has been studied for decades and the evidence is quite literally irrefutable.

As to being able to predict the climate, back in the 70's, scientists used their best models to predict how much the earth would warm by the year 2000 if we continued on our current emissions path. Their conclusion? about .6 degree. Turned out they were EXACTLY right.

Now we have much more advanced computer models so YES we can model future climate change quite accurately.

Hrmm.. so at first they were wrong. But adjusted their data after they saw their predictions were wrong and adjusted accordingly?

And now your saying also that the same guys that got it wrong the first time got this wrong this time?

btw where can we see these prediction models?

also too computer models can be wrong. the people inputting data are human and aren't perfect.
A computer model is only as good as the data fed into it.

still skeptical.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by The_Liberator]

I have no credentials other than the fact that I have studied the topic for over 1000 hours. I have a masters degree from a music conservatory (Eastman), although I did take 2 years of premed studies (organic chem I and II, Physics w/calculus I and II, Calc I II III and differential equations, etc. etc.) but it really doesn't matter.

I could be a garbage collector with a degree in stinkology. The facts speak for themselves....I am simply a messenger.

So you have the basic first 2 mandatory years in school? That's kind of funny you call it pre-med, wouldn't everything be pre-med them?

It is funny that you picked me and told me that I'm not too sure what I'm talking about. I do though that's what funny, my mother is a professor at a university, I'm studying to become an astrophysicist. That means Jack in this conversation.

Most of the educated people I meet think anthropogenic global warming is a hoax to get a few people rich.

Nobody denies the climate is changing, of course it is, it always does. But we are not responsible for it.

We need to stop worrying about something that we cannot change and start dealing with the pollution of the rivers and oceans.

I hate to tell everyone but humans ability to adapt is the best in the world. We are the only animals to live in every single sort of climate that mother Earth can throw at us.

We are an adaptable species, and everyones fear mongering doesn't help people that are uneducated on the
subject.

This thread has kind of become a gong show, insulting other rather than discussing facts.

Pred...

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by TSZodiac

Okay - Here we go again, I applaud all your scholarly "study" into this subject (which culminated in you posting a single video as "evidence").

For those of you who said that I should have written my own post instead of using Dan Millers video, this is for you....

Here is what I was originally going to post here. I decided the video would be easier because no one would read such a long post, but here it is anyway:

I have been reading ATS for a few months and this is my first post (or thread or whatever you call it). I decided to post it because I feel that you, as open minded people, have a right to know the truth about what is going on regarding global warming. Plus I’m tired of the posts on here that claim global warming is some kind of hoax.

It’s not simply that global warming is worse than you think…rather global warming is about 10,000 times worst than you think.

This post will probably be uber-disturbing to many of you, so if you aren’t a fan of horror movies, or if you are someone who doesn’t enjoy being terrified to the point that you practically soil your pants, I would suggest moving on to another thread and not reading any further.

For those brave souls remaining, here goes….

Before I get started, I ask that you give me about 10 minutes of your time. I realize that is a lot of time to spend on a single thread, but considering the magnitude of what I am talking about, 10 minutes is nothing.

Each link that I am about to present is mercifully brief (the one video I present is about 3 minutes long, and the rest are no more than a few short paragraphs).

I have put quite a lot of thought into this post as I realize I have one shot at convincing you monkeys (myself included) of the dire reality of the situation.

Before I go into just how ridiculously dire our situation is, let us first establish the fact that global warming is real, and not a hoax as many on this board appear to believe.

Exhibit number 1:

(paraphrase of following article) 97 percent of climate scientists say that global warming is real and is a direct result of carbon dioxide (CO2) emitted by man. The 3 percent that do not subscribe to this theory are far less qualified and included people like Richard Lindzen (google his name to see how he has been proven time and again to be a lying sociopath).

content.usatoday.com...

Exhibit number 2:

The Arctic is melting. 2010 had the 3rd lowest sea ice area but the LOWEST VOLUME EVER RECORDED.

www.youtube.com...

Exhibit number 3.

THIS IS THE BIG KAHUNA PEOPLE!!

The East Siberian Arctic Shelf, which was previously considered an impermeable cap to VAST amounts of methane is melting and is venting untold amounts of methane into the atmosphere. Methane is 20-70 percent more potent as a greenhouse gas than CO2, depending on the time frame (because it degrades to become CO2 after a few years, depending on its concentration). According to researchers, so much methane is stored in the East Siberian Arctic shelf, that if only 1 PERCENT were to be released, it would cause

climateprogress.org...“catastrophic” warming, practically overnight.

That’s right, IT IS MELTHING NOW PEOPLE…..

Exhibit number 4:

2010 is the hottest year ever so far, with the past decade being the hottest on recorded record, followed by the 90’s, and with the 80’s coming in third place. Russian officials used to joke about global warming…until this last summer when they hit the highest temps ever recorded which started historic fires.
I realize that I only have your attention for another minute or 2, so I would like to

The West Antarctic Ice Sheet is also melting…. as is Greenland, and so far the warming of our planet has surpassed the worst-case scenario put forth by the IPCC (Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change) just a few years ago. (remember that Antactica and Greenland are land masses with ice on TOP of them so if they melt, sea level will rise by METERS!!!)

Exhibit number 5:

Ocean acidification is considered the “evil twin” of global warming. CO2 dissolves in sea water to become carbonic acid which is slowly making the ocean inhospitable for the vast majority of marine life. Don’t believe me….then see exhibit number 6.

www.sciencedaily.com...

Exhibit number 6:

Phytoplankton in the worlds oceans have declined by FORTY PERCENT because of global warming and ocean acidification. Phytoplankton is the base of the food chain and if it disappears, we all go extinct.

www.csmonitor.com...

I could go on and on but I’ll leave it at that. If you want more, go here and click around: climateprogress.org...

We have already warmed about a degree since the start of the industrial age, and experts say that anything above 2 degrees would make the earth inhospitable for life as we know it (not to mention Greenland and Antarctica would melt completely meaning bye-bye Miami)

Bottom line….global warming is real, is far more serious than even the worst case scenario projected just a few years ago, and is happening FAR faster than even the most dire predictions. What’s worst…. there is simply nothing we can do at this point to stop it.

In fact, if we were to stop all emissions tomorrow, temps would actually shoot up. Why? Because along with CO2, we are also emitting tiny particles (the ones that form smog) that hover in the atmoshphere and slightly dim out sunlight (it is known as global dimming). This has a cooling effect which has helped to counter the heating effect of CO2.

This means that if we stopped all emissions, CO2 would remain constant while the cooling effect of global dimming would disappear shooting the temperature up worldwide OVERNIGHT.

It is a conundrum for which there is no answer.

Enjoy life while you can.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Hrmm.. so at first they were wrong. But adjusted their data after they saw their predictions were wrong and adjusted accordingly?

And now your saying also that the same guys that got it wrong the first time got this wrong this time?

btw where can we see these prediction models?

also too computer models can be wrong. the people inputting data are human and aren't perfect.
A computer model is only as good as the data fed into it.

still skeptical.

Well first of all we aren't supposed to believe "them" because most of them are probably dead or retired.(although many are still alive, like James Hansen...)

Where can you see the models? Here you go:

globalchange.mit.edu...

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Your post is based on a false premise. Many if not most of us are NOT disputing Climate Change is occurring now as it has for the Earths entire history. That is the lie Politicians who are pushing Global Warming use against us as a Straw Man. It's the cause we are disputing and thank you for helping with that argument.

I don't know why you have misunderstood the argument? Bias perhaps?

What we are talking about is the falsehoods and manipulation, proven by Climate Gate in the scientists behind the Global Warming Theories own words via the emails.

You see some people and corporations stand to make billions and eventually trillions if they can sell the idea of Cap and Trade. Cap and Trade will do nothing to help the environment as they claim, but it will make Gore fabulously wealthy, beyond his wildest dreams and anyone involved with the Chicago Carbon Exchange will come along for the ride. Obama and many he has surrounded himself with are directly linked to that. But then you being an expert and all know that, don't you?

Cap and Trade would cause energy costs to "skyrocket" as Obama said so clearly. It would do nothing for the environment whatsoever. It would however drive the cost of food up as it would add to the cost of all goods due to the increase in transportation costs. Now who would that hurt? Why the poor of course!

So, what many of us are really saying is:

-Researchers lied and exaggerated in their greedy quest for government dollars and got caught via the leaked emails.

-A dishonest Politician took advantage of it joined by banks and fellow crooks in his group of peers in a scheme to make billions, by misleading the public into thinking the world is ending and somehow Cap and Trade will save us.

-The real causes of Climate Change are numerous and out of our control.

One thing I will argue on is about the Permafrost melting. Of course it is. That's what happens gradually after an Ice Age leaves us. Whatever impact it has is not our doing. The only thing that will stop that is another Ice Age.
Amazing how the people in on the scam are able to manipulate information and keep a straight face. Lots of naive "experts" out there willing to shill for them.

If Obama, Gore and company get away with this, it will destroy the economy at a level never seen in our history. Somehow I think that is their plan. They don't care people will go hungry over a lie. They don't care people will go without heat over a lie. They don't care it will cause massive unemployment way beyond what we have now. They only care about the billions of dollars and the control it will give them over us to create the world in their own image. To call them Megalomaniacs is tame.

Using fear to empty peoples pockets, for shame. But then there are always scientists desperate for money that will sell their souls and good little activists who know nothing about their causes to recruit to do the dirty work.

Ask yourself, if these people care so much, why did Obama give so little to clean energy research? Almost nothing in fact!!! Oddly enough, most of the research and development money is coming from Oil Companies. Isn't that a kick in the backside
If these people believed what they were saying, would they not pour money into the problem? Of course they would. Wise up for your own good. We all want a clean environment, all of us. Well, except the Cap and Trade crowd who want something else entirely. Power and Control.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I agree that the climate is changing. I personally think toward colder rather than warmer. The thing I do not agree to is that any of man's activities on the planet are having any effect on that change. The ONLY way man is affecting the planet is by pollution of the environment with chemicals and just plain trash.

The CO2 greenhouse gas, carbon trading, carbon "footprint" is just all HOAX and is designed to make a few people a lot richer than they already are by feeding on their fears.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   

This thread has kind of become a gong show, insulting other rather than discussing facts.

Pred...

Correct, but you must look at who is saying facts and who is spouting ill-informed opinion.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   

False.

www.skepticalscience.com...

Watch the video I posted in this thread and educate yourself before spouting uninformed opinions. If you don't know what you are talking about, you are not entitled to an opinion on the matter.

You are aware that many other scientists have come to entirely different conclusions than Lockwood and Frölish? Svensmark, for example, has offered an alternative hypothesis for which he has discovered real supporting evidence. You might also want to look into the work of Professor Lindzen, Roy Spencer, or Willie Soon, who found that the correlation between TSI and temperature is still strong. You can find the counter-argument and criticisms concerning Lockwood and Frölish's methodology here. Apparently, they selectively used specific methods of solar activity to calculate the quoted levels.

You are what I will refer to as a skeptic that SEEMS to know what you are talking about, when in reality you are simply spouting nonsense.

Thanks, but for your information I do apply the same level of scepticism to every new proposition that comes to my attention, and after looking at the evidence (as objectively as possible) I'm still unconvinced that AGW is an immanent threat or that it will result in our extinction in ten years as you seem to think. The science is tenuous and all future predictions of the climate are based on computer models that are not even independently audited and can be tweaked any which way to produce the desired results and are contaminated with a substantial warming bias from the compromised surface-temperature data automatically fed into them. With all due respect you can't have researched this subject thoroughly, or maybe you've just subjectively researched one side.

As I said, I not debating with people who already have their mind made up regardless of facts. I used to waste my time doing that until I realized that it was an exercise in futility.

Facts. What facts? I haven't seen any real evidence that CO2 is currently pushing up temperatures and I've looked at numberless paleo-reconstructions and I can't see any proof that CO2 has ever historically driven or influenced temperatures. Maybe you have come across something I have not, in which case, I would love to see it. On a side note, consider for a moment the similarities that offsets and green credits share with the papal indulgences. Here's how it goes: hundreds of years ago the Church sold people papal indulgences for money under the pretence that these indulgences would absolve the person from their sins and they would escape eternal damnation. People today buy green credits which allow them to continue sinning by releasing CO2 and this saves mankind from ecological damnation. CO2 = Sin. Man = Devil. Earth = God. CAGW in my opinion is just a cynical scheme to extract money from people's innate fears and decency and green credits are nothing more than a modern-day reincarnation of papal indulgences.

Here's a video that was aired on TV some time ago. It's good.

edit on 2-11-2010 by Nathan-D because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Doube-posted.
edit on 2-11-2010 by Nathan-D because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   

What we are talking about is the falsehoods and manipulation, proven by Climate Gate in the scientists behind the Global Warming Theories own words via the emails.

Incorrect. The scientists were cleared of any wrongdoing.

wwwp.dailyclimate.org...

www.sodahead.com...

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   

You might also want to look into the work of Professor Lindzen, Roy Spencer, or Willie Soon,

I am not familliar with Willie Soon, but Lindzen has been debunked over and over.

climateprogress.org...

Spencer is a creationist. Tell you something?

You guys are literally cherry-picking facts that support your belief that GW is a hoax. You are quoting Lidzen, Watts, and Lord Monkton, even though each of them are proven liars.

This is what I was afraid of when I started this post. (sigh...)

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join