It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Huge asteroid will hit Antarctica in 2012

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Huge asteroid will hit Antarctica in 2012

reinep.wordpress.com

University of British Columbia Professor published an on-line article that projected an 800m asteroid would hit Antarctica in the fall of 2012.
His article was on the www.phas.ubc.ca website for 2 days before it abruptly disappeared. The initial data was gathered by The Balloon-borne Large-Aperture Sub millimeter Telescope (BLAST) at McMurdo Station, Antarctica. The theorized asteroid was then tracked by Canada-France-Hawaii Telescope on Mauna Kea, which (with the Adaptive Optics Bonnette) supplies probably the sharpest images currently obtainable from the ground.
(visit the link for the full news article)

The original story was posted HERE but was taken down apparently after two days!
edit on 1/11/2010 by theregonnakillme because: additional Link

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I know this is not BREAKING NEWS but I did not know where to post and it is news to me!

I am down in Roatan, which is the western Caribbean and after reading many stories about fireballs all over the world it peaked my interest in Earth Strikes. What really got me interested was the fact that I saw one here travelling East to West exactly about 5 degree north of my location. The fireball lasted for about 4 seconds and it was LARGE not a shooting star. We have the US Blackhawks buzz us all the time and it looked like the same size as a BH half a mile away.

reinep.wordpress.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Already a thread about this friend.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by theregonnakillme

too bad there isn't a temple there like in the AVP movie, maybe they'd have the technology to freeze that thing before it impacts. Maybe the world needs to start making a Lilu to save us from impending doom.

btw, I think there is a thread on this already.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by pravvda

Do you have a link? I haven't seen it and its great hearing from one of my province's top universities.

Huge blocks of ice will break off, its a 1/2 mile big. Huge tsunamis

reinep.wordpress.com...

The article hypothesized a 94% probability that the asteroid would impact on the Filchner-Ronne ice shelf and cause 2/3 of ice on Antarctica to crumble into sea. The article surmised the total collapse of all Antarctic ice within 2-4 months after impact. “A deep enough impact would crack the ice shelf like a window and total structural collapse would be inevitable, a few months at the outside.” If the ice on Antarctica was added the the world’s ocean it would raise them by 70 meters.

edit on 1-11-2010 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Its nice for two to say there is a thread on this but I just did a search for asteroid antartica, and asteroid 2012, and yielded nothing. Any other suggestions for the words to use in the search. Because this info is important.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Yes it is important, especially coz I don't live that far from Antarctica (exaggeration), hard to believe they pinpointed the exact location of a potential earth strike though
......interesting read though.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 01:22 AM
link   
I found the other thread, in a google search: www.abovetopsecret.com...

The official story is its a hoax, but I am going to keep my eyes and ears open.

www.physics.ubc.ca...
DON'T BE FOOLED BY THE LATEST WEB HOAX
An unusual - and totally ridiculous - conspiracy theory has emerged on the Web connecting UBC Physics & Astronomy, the Antarctic ice shelf, and the threat of a devastating asteroid impact.
edit on 2-11-2010 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   
which is exactly what they would say if someone spilled the beans too early wouldn't it?

new topics

top topics

join