It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Ten Biggest American Cities That Are Running Out Of Water

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   

The Ten Biggest American Cities That Are Running Out Of Water

Some parts of the United States have begun to run low on water. That is probably not much of a surprise to people who live in the arid parts of America that have had water shortages for decades or even centuries. No one who has been to the Badlands in South Dakota would expect to be able to grow crops there.

The water problem is worse than most people realize, particularly in several large cities which are occasionally low on water now and almost certainly face shortfalls in a few years. This is particularly true if the change in global weather patterns substantially alters rainfall amounts
(visit the link for the full news article)
[url=http://finance.yahoo.com...]
edit on 1-11-2010 by alchemist2012 because: Broken Link

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Please anyone tell me how can a developed nation like America run out f water????.This is insane there must be a reason for this i mean this planet is mostly water.

Could this be some kind of ploy to start a ration of goods and services.I smell something very strange and afoot here.running out of water is not something that can sneak up on you

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by alchemist2012
Please anyone tell me how can a developed nation like America run out f water????.

Well for starters it's the 3rd largest nation behind China & India, and they both have problems already. Secondly it's quickly becoming the worlds first post-industrial nation. It's a collapsing #-hole but not many people choose to admit this. Oh yeah, and we use way more water than any other country. If we just chilled out with the consumption per capita, we'd be fine for some time to come ... but we're rather ignorant, arrogant, and an apathetic people, obviously.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   
What link? I don't see a link.

link   
I think Atlanta has run close to out of water a few years ago..things were very bad. People just assume that because you are a big city you have unlimited water...sorry to say that is incorrect. Even the smaller suburbs came pretty close during this past summer and of course they institue a water ban...not sure of the year when Las Vegas was really dry you were lucky if you could take a shower. I believe folks were restricted to certain times so although it sounds bizzare if there is no rain then it's quite simple that there will be no water..

link   
Where's the link?

I need to know more.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   
harrp is being used to
alter weather patterens
worldwide

this is being done to perpatrate the global warming fraud

IMHO

xp

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Ya the link is not working..

I was curious to this also..

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I know the water wars have bean going on for years between GA, AL and FL over the Chattahoochee water rights issue. Year before last and last year it got heated up due to drought restrictions. The state of AL. filed suet on Cobb and Cherokee county's for pumping water from the Etowah river to a new reservoir 100 mile from the AL line.IMHO they (AL) have no right to dictate on the mater No one state owns the water but they sure think they do.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   
First of all we are not anywhere near running out of water. We just need to up our water storage. Tons of water flows from rivers into the ocean every day from all over the US. More of it needs to be harvested and stored and piped to other areas where the water is low in supply. We spend millions on oil pipelines and now we need to do the same for water. This is not that hard of a feat.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bluesquid
The Link

Thanks Blue Squid could not get it to work

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by XPLodER
harrp is being used to
alter weather patterens
worldwide

this is being done to perpatrate the global warming fraud

IMHO

xp
Ah huh
And Nibiru is hiding behind the sun.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Well as i ran across the article i found it strange that they already have enough research done to pinpoint it down to 10 major cities

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Please anyone tell me how can a developed nation like America run out f water????.

To me, the answer is simple. Watering lawns, 20-minute showers, loads of laundry that only contain one days worth of cloths, etc. People waste water all the time, it's only amplified in the bigger cities...and it's only going to get worse.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man

To me, the answer is simple. Watering lawns, 20-minute showers, loads of laundry that only contain one days worth of cloths, etc. People waste water all the time, it's only amplified in the bigger cities...and it's only going to get worse.

Seems like the Lone Star State and Arizona are gonna get creamed

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Theres plenty of it here in New York, I'm still happy

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
There needs to be a little common sense of where we build major cities. If you were to locate a place to 'live off the land' you probably wouldn't pick a desert that didn't have a permanent fresh water source. But that what so many have done out west (my parents included). The water is so bad in their desert community that they have to drink bottled water. Many of those cities didn't have a freshwater source and now 'borrow' water from other areas. Which in turn, those cities have lower water sources.

I personally think that we have too much tied up in bottled water and we even ship that to other parts of the globe. Remember we are a water planet, but unfortunately only 1% is freshwater.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   
The United States is wasteful when it comes to Water Management and Reclamation. This is also not taking into account pollution and toxins making some water supplies entirely non-potable.

As a culture it is easy for us to think of conserving electricity because rolling brown-outs and black-outs are something tangible we all can relate to. However, water falls from the sky, so the thought that potable water is in short demand in most places in the U.S. is more difficult for the average person to grasp.

We need to utilize cisterns, reduce cattle-farming, switch from corn and wheat crops to quinoa and kamut, decrease household water consumption, enact better reclamation of grey-water and sewage, and stop practices that destroy the water-table for entire regions (clear-cutting, strip mining, and drilling), and most of all stop over-developing land that serves no other purpose than to simulate (not stimulate) demand and artificially over-inflate the Housing Market .

Some geographical locations in the United States have more visible markers for drought than others. Where I live we know by December whether we need to ration water in the following Summer or not. If the snowfall isn't sufficient in the Winter then the Watersheds will be empty before Spring is over. However, other areas, especially those that get their water piped-in from distant regions, may not have the benefit of having an immediately visible Cause and Effect to realize that water is a non-renewable resource that is not always available on-demand.

Until we can cost effectively desalinate water, water will continue becoming more and more scarce until we are willing to to accept the reclamation of grey-water/sewage for our potable water supply.
edit on 1-11-2010 by fraterormus because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Seems like the Lone Star State and Arizona are gonna get creamed

Well, I can't speak for Arizona, but here in Texas we will just build more reservoirs. Notice the population growth in each city in that top 10 list? It's not that there can't be enough water, it's that demand is increasingly getting closer to supply. Reservoirs will take care of that problem in TX.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join