It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this thing worth the money..... The Kindle

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Hi Everyone,

I’m thinking of buying my daughter a Kindle for Christmas.
They get really good reviews, but I thought I’d come to my ATS experts
For the truth.

Any of you guys use a Kindle, are they worth it?

Kindle

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   
If u love to read then it is awesome....But i would go with a tablet that u can get the bookes on any way...Pay a little more to have a lot more to do. Just my thoughts.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Speaking to my other half about it he says:

"- 1.8 million free books... plus each copyrighted book only costs about £1.99
- well worth it i think
- if his/her daughter actually starts reading lots >.>"

I'll get him to post on here soon *shakes fist*

- Phoenix

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
As an avid reader, I'm thinking of asking for one for Xmas and have been doing some research. If you've already got a router in your in home for wireless, it seems the less expensive one will work fine. ($139)

I *really* like the feel of a book so this will be quite the adjustment for someone like me. However, the cost of a Kindle version of any book is so much cheaper the device would pay for itself within 6 months. I recently bought the book "Room" at Books a Million....for $26 bucks! That's insane! I usually get my books from Amazon anway, btw Amazon had the book for halfprice and the Kindle version was like $5.

While it might take some getting use to, I would feel better that in some small way - I saved a tree =)

Come on ATSers, you're an intelligent lot - someone out there has to have a Kindle. Tell us what you think!

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
buying some for Christmas presents this year.

I've puttered around with one, they're a lot easier to read than tablet pc's, far less eyestrain. The e-Ink display is really nice, and that $139 price is a no-brainer.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   
The kindle 3 sounds like a good idea , I am thinking of acquiring one myself . I am still deciding between the kindle and the nook from barns and nobles (or how you spell that) , but overall if she likes to read , this will be a great present . Just remember if you are getting the kindle get the 3rd version , it has a much , much better screen compared to the other versions.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I have the Kindle and love it. I read allot and it is great. The books are downloaded to the Kindle, don't have to go to the store to get. Plus, there is a Kindle app that can be put on the computer (laptop) and the books can be read from there. The other thing I like, if my eyes are tired but it is a really good book, the Kindle will read the book to you. (The book has to have an audio format for this to be done, when I get a book I usually download the one with this feature on it, it does not cost anymore than if you bought without the audio part.) It is a great device, I have had mine over a year, and of course after I bought the price went down. It is well worth the money. Not sure how old you child is, it is not something I would give to a child under 13 unless that child takes really good care of their things. Even 13 might be to young. The device is awesome but it is not sturdy like a tablet. Anyway, this is my advice. BTW, anyone who receives as a gift will love it.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Does it make phone calls? Does it play music? Does it play videos? Does it search the web? Does it open your car doors? Does it change the channel on your tv? Does it display/read books?

If you only answer yes to 1 of these questions, and it costs more than 25 bucks... nope, not worth it.

wow, you other posters before me now make me feel bad... I read, I promise...
edit on 1-11-2010 by Myendica because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join