It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Questions on Personal Protective Equipment

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Hello,

for quite some time now I have been wondering what kind of protective wear (from clothes/suits to respiratory protection) is best recommended for a wide range of different scenarios?

What I'm specifically looking for is an "all-rounder" type of bodily protection against chemical, biological and radioactive threats. Since my knowledge in this field is very scarce I was hoping to receive some answers from the ATS community, eventually some of you can enlighten the rest of us on what types of PPE's are best used in order to prevent contamination with potentially dangerous substances/materials and infectious diseases.
It is also important to me that said PPE's can be used more than once (ensure protection for weeks/months), have little disadvantages in freedom of movement, are lightweight and can be quickly donned over the body.

Are there such products available to the public? If yes please don't hesitate to post links to shops that sell these or links to specific products you know of or used before.

Your input is greatly appreciated.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Clairaudience

A good NBC suit. Here's the first on the list when I searched. You'll need appropriate gasmask/boots/etc...

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I think it might be a stretch finding one garment that protects from everything. but in general they are called HazMat suits, you can buy them from places like here but they are REALLY expensive $2000 worth of expensive

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by 35Foxtrot

The site you linked to contains malware! please remove it!

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Clairaudience
Hello,

for quite some time now I have been wondering what kind of protective wear (from clothes/suits to respiratory protection) is best recommended for a wide range of different scenarios?

What I'm specifically looking for is an "all-rounder" type of bodily protection against chemical, biological and radioactive threats. Since my knowledge in this field is very scarce I was hoping to receive some answers from the ATS community, eventually some of you can enlighten the rest of us on what types of PPE's are best used in order to prevent contamination with potentially dangerous substances/materials and infectious diseases.
It is also important to me that said PPE's can be used more than once (ensure protection for weeks/months), have little disadvantages in freedom of movement, are lightweight and can be quickly donned over the body.

Are there such products available to the public? If yes please don't hesitate to post links to shops that sell these or links to specific products you know of or used before.

Your input is greatly appreciated.

There is a place (really numerous places) online where you can purchase new Nuclear, Biological and Chemical suits and related protective such as iodine tablets and multi-purpose respirators.

www dot survivalcenter dot com , as I said there are others too.

Beware though - a lot of products such as gasmask filters have a shelf-life, so some surplus dealers are selling duds. Find a survivalist specific website and inquire with some real experts about who is a reliable supplier for your needs.

You've tossed out a tough set of requirements that I don't think can be met with a single "one size fits all" solution, though. Specifically re-usability and light weight.

Re-use particularly in an NBC situation is a doubtful proposition

Chemicals can compromise the suit if it's not immediately rinsed down, bio can stick with the suit on the outer surface, and therefor with YOU if you take the suit off or it gets compromised before a bio decontamination, and so with fallout from a "dirty bomb".

Maybe someone else on here knows more.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by mydarkpassenger

Your best bet would be to follow Ashcrofts advise and duct tape everything. That's what I'm gonna do.

www.globalsecurity.org...

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
reply to post by mydarkpassenger

Your best bet would be to follow Ashcrofts advise and duct tape everything. That's what I'm gonna do.

www.globalsecurity.org...

I was just replying to Clairaudience and her questions.

It's not me who is worried; I figure I'll be back no matter what.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   
I guess you need to think about the environment your going to be in during your favourite SHTF scenario.

Me, giving where I live, I highly doubt it'll be biological or Radiation i'll have to worry about.

In my BOB/Hunting bag (I'm a bow hunter) i also have knee and shin pads, full finger gloves with armour over the knuckles, elbow pads from my time with the army and a full face mask. Why the mask, i/we do alot of moving at night without alot of light to guide the way and when your running full pelt through the bush getting hit in the face sucks.

plus it helps me blend in better

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

In my honest opinion the duct tape will work as well for biological/chemical/nuclear threats as the old duck and cover we used to do in elementary school. I fail to see how covering one's head and hiding under a desk would protect one from an atomic bomb, and I fail to see how sealing windows and doors with a cloth (ie. porous tape) covered in glue will keep out microscopic particles of any kind.

new topics

top topics

join