It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NSC Study Shows You are More Likely to be Killed By a Cop Than a Terrorist

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
911 wasnt terrorism. It was a false flag event. They knew the attack was coming. They knew they were inside USA a year before 911.

So chance of dying of terrorism is even smaller.
edit on 2-11-2010 by conar because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by chrismarco

I hate people that post crap like this " Tell the family of X/Y/Z that was killed by Terrorist "

It what stupid people say that don't get it. You just read the facts you are more likely to die in a fall or by your own police shooting you then a terrorist.

Why do people still talk like this ?? Do they not understand freedom ?

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by BigTimeCheater

If you don't comply, whether you think it's unlawful or not, you WILL get hurt... That's what lawyers and your right to sue are for...

I'd rather comply, then sue and win money, than get hurt or killed because I used aggression whether lawful or not...

Remember, when it comes to someone winning between a person fighting the police and the police, we usually win...

You want to win? Don't fight, don't get hurt, and sue after wards... Get case law into the world to prove your point, if you're dead, you can't do anything to change the system. Hey, it's your life you decide what's better...

Magnum

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Killface

Originally posted by MrSpad

Originally posted by sremmos

Originally posted by chrismarco
Not another person who hates the police..come on there are plenty of good patrolmen out their so go easy...as far as the terrorist attacks tell the families of the USS Cole not to worry that terrorist won't harm us. The government may be using the terrorist as excuses but the terrorists are not make believe my friend. Check out some videos on some of the more graphic sites of them doing what they do best...and please do not compare the police to the terrorist..that's disgusting

The numbers aren't lying, it doesn't matter if you are "disgusted," the fact remains you are more likely to die at the hands of a police officer than a terrorist.

Fact.

This is not a fact. The Fact would be certain people who live certain types of life styles would be more likely to be killed by a cop. Criminal actviity and/or heavy use of drugs or alcohol drugs resulting in violent behavior is going to greatly increase your chance of being killed by a cop. Terrorism on the other hand works because its target is random people whom are doing nothing other than going about their everyday life. That creates the fear. So saying he is more likely to die at the hands of cops is a fallacy unless you live a certain life style. Just like if you do not ride trains then your chance of dying in rail accident becomes almost zero. This "study" is just some idiot who took mortality data but, in no way shape or form does it use that data in any logical way. But lets not let common sense get in the way of whatever agenda you want to push.

Does living one lifestyle over another not affect your chances of dying at a terrorist's hands? Me thinks yes, so I am not sure what you are trying to say.

No, it does not. That is what makes terrorism an effective weapon. You could be at the market, at a club, at church, on a plane, at a mall, at work, on a bus etc. All you have to do is look at terrorist targets across the world over the last couple years to see the randomness of targets. The only life style you could live that would decrease your chance at being the victim of a terror attack would be to never leave your home. The randomness of terrorist targets are what creates the terror. That you can not avoid it by doing something is kind of the entire idea of it. Because you never know when or where it will occure. Thus terror.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Redwookieaz

Let me tell you sumthing, bud-- I know more cops than I would know any terrorists and the police officers would never (and I mean NEVER) do anything that would be dangerous to me like crashing a jet plane into a building.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Imagine what the average would have been before 911. And we're still not sure if it was truly done by terrorists or the government.

Your chances now if you believe the official line is 8-1.
If you don't believe the official line then the line is probably something like 20 or 30-1.

This is because we've allowed the policing of America to approach Gestapo equivalency.

Something to think about folks.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by chrismarco
Not another person who hates the police..come on there are plenty of good patrolmen out their so go easy...as far as the terrorist attacks tell the families of the USS Cole not to worry that terrorist won't harm us. The government may be using the terrorist as excuses but the terrorists are not make believe my friend. Check out some videos on some of the more graphic sites of them doing what they do best...and please do not compare the police to the terrorist..that's disgusting

????????????????????????

What is disgusting is that you zeroed in on the mention of police instead of seeing the point of the thread. How many people in the history of the United States have been killed by bonafide terrorists? Maybe 4000? Probably less? So, the chances of dying in a flood, or car accident, or police shooting, or from a falling paint can are far more likely than from a terrorist attack.

Yes, I have a lot of police friends too, most of them are good folks. I had dinner with my highway patrol buddy last night.............on the other hand, they are often the very definition of a "terrorist." They use violence or threats of violence to elicit some result, and too often it is done in pursuit of something unlawful. Controlling a crowd or arresting a bad guy is one thing, but all too often the police are creating terror for personal gain, or to protect a brother in blue.

The OP is a wonderful collection of all the comparisons. It is a shame that the word "cop" was seized and dwelled on. The word "terrorist" is the most ridiculous word in the OP. There is barely such a thing as a terrorist. There are enemies and there are criminals, but seldomly are there "terrorists." If you attack the USS Cole, it is an act of war, not terrorism. That is a war ship! If you grab a rifle and snipe people in DC, you are a murdering criminal, not a terrorist. 9/11and OKC were both clearly terrorism. They were done by civilian radicals against civilians, and for a political reason. Outside of those two events, name any other terrorist attack on American soil.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   

chrismarco

That's because contrary to your worship of the cops. Many of us and the numbers grow daily, see the cops as the true terrorists these days. The terrorists who jump them just as soon as they make one wrong step to the left or the right. The terrorist who do anything that they want to now and dare you to talk back to them about it.
The terrorists who use stun gun like cattle prods for pain compliance now.
The terrorists who bust through their doors at three in the morning to terrorize their families and even shoot them or their babies for one marijuana cigarette.
The terrorists who seize our houses because a marijuana plant was found.
The terrorists who take loved ones and shove them into cages over naturally grown plants or possession of which.
The terrorists who allow city offiicl searches of our properties without warrents just because they can.
The terrorists who beat them to death while they are cuffed and in their custody.
The terrorists who are enforcing big cooperation will upon us for no other reason than their paymasters told them to.
The terrorists who bust old disorientated ladies head's into the asphalt because they didn't immediately cooperate with them.
The terrorists who routinely ignore our rights because their God complexes tell them to.
The terrorists who who have everyone (with the possible exception of you) feeling anxiety just when one passes by.

Shocking for you to consider I'll bet.... No, impossible for you to consider I'm sure.
edit on 2-11-2010 by warequalsmurder because: in order to quote the correct member

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Redwookieaz

NSC Study Shows You are More Likely to be Killed By a Cop Than a Terrorist

Well thats good news

end sarcasm

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by warequalsmurder

Exactly police are the real terrorists, and i was going to write this yesterday, thinking about my life. They goto desperate lengths to absolutely wreck any life, and when they target you they want you to be fearful. So all cops are are terrorists, exactly.

People that also work in police that are civilians are also like that as you can bet they are organising there terror campaigns against neighbours and people they do not like.

Funny how the cops are the terrorists, and the biggest threat to you with gov loons.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by warequalsmurder

I think you need to read more closely. The guy I responded to was the guy mad that we compared cops to terrorists. I agree with you.....partly.

Cops do instill terror, and they do use force, or the threat of force to get compliance, and they often do it for reasons that are entirely selfish motivated.

I still say "most" cops are good, but as a whole, the police force is a little too dangerous for my taste!

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

My applogies as you are correct. I have changed the post to quote the correct member.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I'm not one to defend the cops. However, we need to look closely at the stats. There are a lot of ways to manipulate satistics to fit a purpose. How many of those killed by cops were in the act of shooting at a cop? How many were attempting to kill some one else? How many were accidental? Murdered and "killed" by are two very different things.

Also you need to look at the time frame used to compile each statistic. For the statement to be true in 2001 it woul have required 24,000 people to be murdered by cops. I agree that you are probably less likely to die at terrorist's hands than a cops hand. According to one study you are about 2.4 times more likely to be crushed by a vending machine than killed by terrorists.

We have to look at how the stats are compiled before jumping on the bandwagon.

With all that being said, I've personally known three cops that quit the force because they could not handle the corruption. The stories they have told me I will not repeat. I don't want to risk letting out a detail that might identify them. I know one cop that retired because he no longer felt being a cop meant protecting the community. Another cop I know became a detective because he believes patrols are being used to intimidate the public instead of provide security.

There are cops that are good individuals, but as a unit there is definitely a tendency to malicious actions. The bad thing is that most of them don't understand why some of the things they do are wrong. They aren't trained for a deep understanding of all of the laws or of constitutional law. Some have criminal justice degrees and know more. Those are the ones that should know better.

Now more to the original point. It is sad that Americans don't understand the fact that terrorism is almost a non-point. People are more worried about the lady in a burka than their doctor. Truth is you are more likely to die because of a medical mistake than murder or terrorism.

I think it is funny that politicians want to take away or limit the second ammendment to keep us safe, but they want reforms to make doctors less liable for malpractice, and pharma companies less liable for deadly drugs. Then they tell us that there is nothing to worry about when it comes to doctors and pharma.

If people can not look around and see the system is upside down, they have blinders on.
edit on 2-11-2010 by MikeNice81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Nice thread. I see these stats seldom mentioned on ATS by random posters getting no attention or stars. I love that people are putting things in perspective.

War is a lucrative business.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
The OP's statistics comparing Cops to "Terrorists" is clearly skewed in the subject pool. Open up your brains for a second and look at contact / result.

I'm far too lazy to get the real numbers, but try and follow me.

One must compare contact with bona-fide terrorists (no-one is truly a "terrorist" until they terrorize, no?) with their contact/kill ratio. For example: If every terrorist were to immediately openly state they were a "terrorist", and portray actions indicative of terrorism to every person they met (ending in death), then by definition alone, "terrorist" deaths would sharply incline with contact.

Police, however, have contact with millions of people a day, and only manage to kill a few of us a week at best.

I personally would take my chances with a police officer, rather than hanging out with an openly militant terrorist any day.

To sum it up, malignant Terrorist contact/kill ratio is far worse than malignant Police contact/kill ratio.

Statistics are cute, until you show the circumstances in which the data is collected.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Ahhhh this is great, I love seeing posts like this, thank you!

Truth just made my day yet again! Wow are we living in a blind country.
We are subject to mass hallucination in belief, because we trust the media more than ourselves.

Now off to band practice I go..... S&F

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Strya

That is a good point!

I think I still disagree somewhat, because I look at the "total" effect of both parties. Terrorists have affected about 0.0013% of the population, but police affect 100% of us. Sure many times they affect is in a positive manner, but there is always that nagging stress about how each encounter will go. You never know if the police will be a public servant, a peace officer, or a militant when you encounter them. I believe the police instill much more stress and terror than the real terrorists, and I say that even knowing that the vast majority of them are good.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

There definitely is something to be said about the stress/anxiety levels caused by police officers. And focusing on the correlations between anxiety levels caused by both police and "terrorists" would be an interesting study that would probably work more statistically in the OP's favor. To downright say that cops kill more people than terrorists, while in draconian terms is correct, is riddled with fallacies that can be easily proved erroneous by anyone with an understanding of basic statistics.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by GlennCanady
And governments are behind 99% of the Terrorism they try to scare us with. The underwear bomber was LET onto the plane by the US government. Then the day after that false flag, Homeland Security said, "Don't Worry, We Care About You So much, we're rolling out the naked body scanners!" Of course they didn't tell anybody that Chertoff had bought them 2 years ago and now works for the company that makes the naked body scammers which is a conflict of interest that should have led to him going to jail!

Our government brings in most of the drugs too then they turn around and arrest people for using the drugs they bring into the country. Makes a lot of sense huh

Yep, exactly that.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Wow, lot of good posts in here guys. I think that some of you and myself included ( though I did mention that your feelings about the police don't really apply in this thread) because I mentioned my personal feelings and experiences involving the police,need to remember that the point isn't really killer cops. Though it is definately culturally relevant.

The point guys is that the government is exploiting fear of terrorism to push an agenda of less rights for the innocent American citizen! And this is absolutely not ok!

We must unite and stop these filthy elitists from taking something that does not belong to them, our rights!
edit on 2-11-2010 by Redwookieaz because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join