It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Car Alarms and SHTF Scenario

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
I was watching the new AMC zombie series "Walking Dead", and there was actually something on it that made me think of a good survival tip...

In the show, one of the zombies had set off a car alarm, which of course, drew more zombies.

Now, shy of a zombie uprising, there are plenty of other SHTF scenarios where a car alarm could be a HUGE liability, and almost all of them come with them these days...

So, made me think that it might not be a bad idea to have a toggle switch allowing one to shut off their car alarm in a non-remote way, and without worrying about it, if you so wished to do so...just so you didn't accidentally draw attention to yourself.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Sounds like playing Left 4 Dead car alarms are a great way to rake up alot of kills. But sound has always attracted zombies in all the movies so just remember when you shoot one zombie two more is coming to take it's place.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   
In any case, cars are a terrible way to travel in a SHTF scenario. Think of finding fuel, spare parts, maneuvering through all other debris and possibly all other abandoned cars on the road.
A motorcycle is more feasible, but would still have the noise and upkeep factor. I think regular or motorized bicycles or walking on foot is your best bet. And unless you feel like yelling out to the zombies, "come eat me" it's a better way of keeping quiet.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
I was watching the new AMC zombie series "Walking Dead", and there was actually something on it that made me think of a good survival tip...

In the show, one of the zombies had set off a car alarm, which of course, drew more zombies.

Now, shy of a zombie uprising, there are plenty of other SHTF scenarios where a car alarm could be a HUGE liability, and almost all of them come with them these days...

So, made me think that it might not be a bad idea to have a toggle switch allowing one to shut off their car alarm in a non-remote way, and without worrying about it, if you so wished to do so...just so you didn't accidentally draw attention to yourself.

Hmmm.. can't you also turn that noise thing to your advantage? If you're running down the street with zombies on your butt, shoot the first car that looks like it should have an alarm - like a mercedes - then take the next turn and keep a runnin!

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
If the alarm works through the car horn you can just snip the wires to the horn or pull the fuse (depending on what else goes through that fuse)
If it's an after market alarm the fuse is usually in the engine bay attached to a wire that run off of the battery positive terminal

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Every vehicle is going to be different, so get to know yours well (always a god tip anyway).

You don't want to be trying to do anything like that at the last minute if your going to depend on your car, your going to look pretty stupid if you trip the immobiliser

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Just remind me not to use my horse if there is a zombie uprising, or if there is the very real threat of people without stores of groceries!

Where I live you can hear a vehicle turn onto this road a mile away. I can hear people talking in their yard from half a mile away. I'd say get a really good muffler system before you need it if you're going to be driving and don't want to be heard. Definitely have a quick, easy and soundless way to disable the car alarm.

top topics

join