It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rate the Book You Just Read...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
I've really enjoyed a similar thread in the Movies forum, and thought it could work here as well. That thread has opened me up to quite a few new movies I hadn't heard about, so thought it could do the same here for books.

To kick it off, I've been reading Ancestor, by Scott Sigler.

Very "Michael Crighton" like, with a group of scientists trying to grow genetically altered animals to provide organ replacements. However, one of them changes the mix, and creates these terrifying beasts.

It's been a great read, and a real page-turner. It isn't my normal cup of tea (which is Fantasy or more fantastic Sci-Fi, or horror), but it's very believable, and would make a good horror flick..

So, what books have you read lately, and what did you think of them?
edit on 1-11-2010 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Hey Gazrok!

As it so happens, two nights ago, while fighting insomnia, I decided to begin rereading a personal favorite...

The book is a comedy and a quasi-parody of the 1976 film The Omen (as well as other books and films of the genre), concerning the birth of the son of Satan, the coming of the End Times and the attempts of the angel Aziraphale and the demon Crowley to avert them, having become accustomed to their comfortable situations in the human world. A subplot features the gathering of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse — War, Famine, Pollution (Pestilence having retired in 1936 following the discovery of penicillin), and Death — the last of whom is characterised in a manner reminiscent of the personification of Death in Pratchett's Discworld novels and calls himself Azrael before his final exit.

Source for Summary

If we can utilize the abused "scale of 1 to 10" rating, I would definitely give this book a solid 9.5. It is quite possibly the funniest book I have ever read, while still also delivering some deep messages about humanity in a very positive way.

I highly recommend this read for those who haven't taken the splash yet. I don't see how anyone could regret doing so!

~Heff

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

I've read all of Terry Pratchett's books, and never found a reason to dislike them. I lent out my copy of Good Omens and it took a year to get it back.... the bastard.

Let's see... just finished reading 'Really Now, Mr. Feynman." by Richard Feynman. A brilliant physicist, with a mischievous sense of humor... great read!

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I just finish reading "montauk project experiments in time"

A book about the montauk project at Camp Hero or Montauk Air Force Station on Montauk, Long Island
originated with the account of Preston Nichols, who claimed to have recovered repressed memories of his own involvement

It involve things like: mind control, time travel, aliens, secret stuff on Mars, Philadelpia experiment, radio waves, sage radar and all kind of pyscholgical warfare all founded by nazi gold and U.S anomynous companies...

Im really impressed by all the detail in this book and the same time scary if anything in this book is the truth, because of the parts about summoning of monsters with your mind, people stuck forever in time and space or even in walls

Its worth reading if you are into secret bases and really strange experiments.. or if you just like reading a good sci-fi then it can also be that

edit on 1-11-2010 by Vandalour because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I am still in process of reading Isaac Asimov's Foundation Series.

The "Foundation Series" started in the 50s as a collection of short stories published in a magazine. It was so successfull, that Isaac compiled the short stories into the book "Foundation" and continued on to "Foundation and Empire" and "Second Foundation". I am currently in the middle of "Foundation and Empire".

Originally based on the various stories about the fall of the Roman Empire, the book is set in the far distant future, approximately 15,000 - 20,000 years from current times. Yet, the distant future and the fact that it is technically a Sci-Fi story do not detract from the real message which is that of politics, empire building, and the predictability of humans.

So far while reading this book I have found amazing parallels to current events that almost makes one think that Asimov is a prophet. Armed with the knowledge that the book is modeled after the Roman empire, it becomes even more startling as it makes it obvious that we are repeating history.

I won't go into story too much here, but those who are interested can read up on the wiki article: en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I'm late on this train for sure but, I really enjoyed "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo." I finished it Sat/Sun - when I looked at the clock it was almost 6am!!

Just started "The Girl who Played with Fire."

Other recent good reads were "Room" & "The Thirteenth Tale." If you're a fan of Bronte and the like, this is an awesome book.

Great thread idea!!

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Whisper67

I'm even later than you...I haven't read any of the "The Girl........." books yet. I'll probably wait for the wife to read them first, and see if she thinks I'll like them...doesn't sound like my kind of story, but you never know, I've been surprised before (which is kind of the impetus for starting the thread)...

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 06:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Whisper67

Wow, I just finished this on Saturday night and I have so far worked my way up to page 50 of "The Girl Who Played With Fire". "Tatoo" was fantastilicious. I heart Salander.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Thanks for the Girl...tattoo reviews I will definitely pick one up.

1. I finished reading "Hell's Gate" by Stephen Frey. I give it an 8/10.

It was fantastically thrilling and I couldn't stop from turning the next page, and again, and again. I recommend you guys read it.

2. I also just finished "Life Expectancy" by Dean Koontz. I give it a 8.5/10.

It is fantastic book. Dean captures the main character in weird but fun way. I also recommend it.

3. I am trying to read "The Ancients" by David Lynn Golemon but I just can't get into it. I don't know what it is but the book seems very dull!

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Death Troopers by Joel Schrieber

Zombies on an Imperial Star Destroyer starring Han Solo and Chewbacca.. 10/10 easily

new topics

top topics

join