It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mayan Calendar misinterpretation thoughts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Someone already started a topic about the recent information that the Mayan Calendar may be a misinterpretation when it comes to "doomsday" in 2012. that can be found here

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I also found more information here news.yahoo.com...

I personally didn't believe in the prophesy. I don't think anyone ever postulated the theory that maybe they predicted their own demise. They suddenly disappeared from history and we don't have an understanding as to why ...my guess is that they did to themselves what we are doing: using up our natural resources as they did on Easter Island and they could no longer support their population.

I am not an expert, so this is just a thought. Okams Theory usually prevails...the simplist solution is probably the correct solution.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
lol they lived in the freaken rain forest not on some tiny island. i think they might have died due to some prehistoric virus found deep in the heart of the jungle that hasn't been touched for millions of years

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
This was not about why they disappeared, my point was about their "doomsday" prophecy as found on their long calendar of 5 cycles. Instead of doom and gloom in 2012, maybe their "prophecy" was about the end of their own civilization.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   
There is no 'doomsday' prophecy relating to 2012 in the Mayan calendar. This is all a trick and a hoax. i think so that when nothing happens, we all go back to sleep again. They say nothing of doomsday. It's the end of an era and the start of a new one, nothing else. What that era becomes is up to us.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Nammu

I completely agree... after all, the calendar had to end somewhere. Mixing modern superstition with ancient superstition is a dangerous thing.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Nammu

Yup this is what I think too. The only people that are "wrong" about 2012 are the ones that constantly spout out it is the end of the world, full of death and destruction. This is also ironically why many skeptics don't believe it at all. It is obviously apparent that we are at a point in history that could be considered an end of an age. To much is going on to be brushed under the table. When these issues resolve, we will be in a new age.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Nothing will happen, absolutely nothing. The closest thing to a potential change maybe some earth changes like pole shift, such theories have been proposed but still I don't buy it. Sounds like Y2K again to me, which of course I also neglected to take seriously.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   
I don't see how it could be a "misinterpretation" or anything of the like with all the astronomical predictions the calendar also made that have all been accurate. its just people trying to discredit something that hasn't even happened yet.

imo people saying that nothing will happen look just as stupid as the people shouting about death and destruction

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by ursaminor

There are a number of correlations that can be done between our modern calendar and the Long Count calendar, the trick is in figuring out which one is most accurate. Of course all of this ignores the fact that in the entirety of the Classic period there is only one mention of December 21, 2012. The belief that the Long Count ends after 13 baktun is entirely due to post-Columbian contact monuments. In fact many Classic period monuments have calendars that extend up to 20 baktun. So, if you want to believe that the Mayan calendar points to some future event, you might as well go with the calendar that is based on traditional beliefs. Although at that point you also have to accept that the universe is 6 trillion years old.

top topics

join